PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting ex partner out of house - help!

Options

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    superhez wrote: »
    They have done this and the council have advised they need us to issue an AT6, think this will push them up the list.

So looks like this is the route we will have to go down, just annoying as they have money from my husband that they could use to move and privately rent because they had agreed to move out.

If they are considered in need of housing, it may well be rooms in a hostel or a B&B.
  • superhez
    superhez Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    If they are considered in need of housing, it may well be rooms in a hostel or a B&B.

Exactly, don't think they realise that, which is why we gave them money to try and get a suitable private let, one of their reasons not to want to move is that they have three cats, can't see them getting somewhere from council that will allow them to take them.
    June Wins - Antandec travel mug
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just out of curiosity :D How old is the ex-partner? Is she working? Is the son working?
  • superhez
    Options
    NYM wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity :D How old is the ex-partner? Is she working? Is the son working?

That's ok NYM :D Ex partner is 60 (10 years older than my hubby), she works part time as a self employed cleaner. She used to have good full time job in sales but just decided to give it up when with my hubby as she didn't like the people she worked with, so he financially supported her. She also sells witchcraft stuff online, wands etc (she claims she is a witch, seriously), I know you couldn't write it :rotfl:

The son refuses to work as he knows he can get more from benefits than he would in the sort of work he is likely to be able to get, he hasn't worked for about ten years.

It is all just mad to me as both myself and hubby have always worked full time (well part time for me when kids younger), and I can't believe he was with some-one like this and how daft he has been over the years re money with her, maybe she cast a spell on him :D
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can't see how they'd get a council house. They wouldn't get priority, unless there's some sort of health issues to consider. The council won't help if they don't have a duty towards them. And there's no chance they can take the cats into a hostel anyway. Perhaps if they realised this, they'd be more appreciative of your help to find a private rental.
  • superhez
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    I can't see how they'd get a council house. They wouldn't get priority, unless there's some sort of health issues to consider. The council won't help if they don't have a duty towards them. And there's no chance they can take the cats into a hostel anyway. Perhaps if they realised this, they'd be more appreciative of your help to find a private rental.

Does the fact that they are effectively being made homeless because we need them to leave not give them some priority? Wouldn't be surprised if son claims some sort of health things, he seems to know all the tricks to get benefits etc.
  • ripplyuk
    Options
    superhez wrote: »
    Does the fact that they are effectively being made homeless because we need them to leave not give them some priority? Wouldn't be surprised if son claims some sort of health things, he seems to know all the tricks to get benefits etc.

No. They'll be told to find a private rental. They can go on the main housing list, like anyone can but that doesn't mean they'll ever get one. Lots of people are made homeless. The council only has a duty towards those with children, or some other vulnerability like health problems, or old age.
  • superhez
    edited 15 March 2017 at 1:08PM
    Options
    Oh well, will leave it in hands of solicitors and hopefully get them out somehow, sounds like it could be a long process :(
  • ripplyuk
    Options
    Show them this

http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/free-legal-information/public-housing/homeless-people.html

Maybe they'll move faster if they see it might not be so easy to get the council to house them.
  • superhez
    Options
    Thanks ripplyuk I'm afraid at this point it will make no difference, they seem to just want to stall as long as possible and making us go down the route of "evicting" them will give them another few months, there is no reasoning with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport