Photos from desktop pc to android phone.

slinga
slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
My missus has a photo on the desk top which she wants to transfer to her android mobile phone to use as her log in screen or summat.
I don't use mobiles so don't know exactly what she wants.

But I've tried to export the photo from the desk top to the mobile and it doesn't happen.

Can it be done and if so how?
It's your money. Except if it's the governments.

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 January 2017 at 8:03AM
    2 ways;

1. on the Desktop go to https://photos.google.com/

Sign in with the missus details that is, her gmail address and password

When signed into google photos, click on UPLOAD top right.

Find photo on your PC & upload

The photo will automatically appear in 'Google Photos' App on the phone where it can be downloaded/used to make screensaver

2. simply email the photo from your email on PC to her email on the phone. She will need to download to use it.

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    slinga wrote: »
    My missus has a photo on the desk top which she wants to transfer to her android mobile phone to use as her log in screen or summat.
    I don't use mobiles so don't know exactly what she wants.

But I've tried to export the photo from the desk top to the mobile and it doesn't happen.

Can it be done and if so how?
    Connect phone to computer with USB cable.
    Unlock phone and make sure it is set to transfer files - check the notification bar
    On computer copy the picture.
    Using file browser navigate to the phone and paste the picture in a suitable place.
    Done!
  • slinga
    wongataa wrote: »
    Connect phone to computer with USB cable.
    Unlock phone and make sure it is set to transfer files - check the notification bar
    On computer copy the picture.
    Using file browser navigate to the phone and paste the picture in a suitable place.

Done!
    Can get as far as the start of the bolded bit.
    Then I'm lost.
    Never use mobile and the missus only does infrequently so 'transfer files, notification bar, file browser navigate' have got me beat.

She's out somewhere with the mobile at the moment so I'll give a few things a go when she returns.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Can get as far as the start of the bolded bit.
    Then I'm lost.
    Never use mobile and the missus only does infrequently so 'transfer files, notification bar, file browser navigate' have got me beat.

She's out somewhere with the mobile at the moment so I'll give a few things a go when she returns.

Follow the advice posted in reply #2, takes a matter of seconds.

Email it to her email account is the easiest then download the app for her email account, login and download the photo.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    How about using google drive to upload photos from the PC and then download to the phone?
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 January 2017 at 2:00PM
    How about using google drive to upload photos from the PC and then download to the phone?

Google photos does the same thing only no storage limit and shows full photos or can be searched for by terms such as 'beach', 'wedding', 'car' etc!

Drive is more for large files & documents, but yes it does photos as well
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    edited 31 January 2017 at 12:30PM
    Can get as far as the start of the bolded bit...

When you have connected the Android phone to the PC, slide your finger down the phone screen from near top left.

You should see a box showing 'USB for Charging, touch for more options.

Touch that screen. You should then see four options with the first option, 'Charging Only', selected with a highlighted button to the left.

Charging Only
    Transfer files (MTP)
    Transfer photos (PTP)
    MIDI

Change it to one of the Transfer options by touching the unshaded button at the left.

That should open up file explorer on your PC and allow you to view the files on the phone, copy or drag and drop files from PC to phone and vice versa.

Create a folder on the phone called 'Pictures' (or whatever name you like) and copy your pictures to that. Or you could use the existing folder in DCIM called Camera.
  • slinga
    When you have connected the Android phone to the PC, slide your finger down the phone screen from near top left.

You should see a box showing 'USB for Charging, touch for more options.

Touch that screen. You should then see four options with the first option, 'Charging Only', selected with a highlighted button to the left.

Charging Only
    Transfer files (MTP)
    Transfer photos (PTP)
    MIDI

Change it to one of the Transfer options by touching the unshaded button at the left.

That should open up file explorer on your PC and allow you to view the files on the phone, copy or drag and drop files from PC to phone and vice versa.

Create a folder on the phone called 'Pictures' (or whatever name you like) and copy your pictures to that. Or you could use the existing folder in DCIM called Camera.
    Nope.
    Can't get any of that.

I've emailed the photos and can see them on the mobile but can't seem to transfer them anywhere.
  • What phone is it? And ok so you've emailed the photos to her which is a good start but what email is it? (hotmail, gmail etc?)
    This information will help us to help you.

Anyway, when you open the image on the phone you should be able to press and hold the image and have some sort of menu come up allowing you to download or save it. Does this happen?

If not, hopefully anwsering the above questions will allow us to figure it out.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Bluetooth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business