Washing machine refit

Hello,

We have a washing machine in our kitchen, and want to move it to a room just off our bathroom so that we can put a dishwasher in.

The room off the bathroom has capped water pipes, and an electricity socket, but no waste outlet. We had a plumber round who's been good in the past to see how much it would be. He said he'd need to drill through the wall to get to the waste outlet pipe for the sink, but other than that it was doable. He quoted us £180 for the job including parts. For this he will connect up the washing machine, and the dishwasher which needs no extra connections. Is this reasonable?

Cheers
L

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 September 2014 at 8:48AM
    How can we say if its reasonable? We have no idea about the quantaties of materials involved or anticipated time spent.

If you're happy with his work, then just do it. Or take the risk of getting a stranger in who will do it for less but could flood your house and steal your wedgewood.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • loki20
    loki20 Posts: 28 Forumite
    I imagine that it'd take a couple of hours, he needs a connector to the waste pipe, and a connector to the water pipes.

That's all the information I have, which is why I have no idea whether it's reasonable, but I thought someone here might know if the ballpark was right?
  • loki20
    The plumber has said that it would take 2-4 hours. I don't think the parts are going to be particularly expensive. £20 at a guess.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    loki20 wrote: »
    The plumber has said that it would take 2-4 hours. I don't think the parts are going to be particularly expensive. £20 at a guess.

Well if you know all this, then You know whether it is a reasonable cost or not.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • loki20
    No... I don't... I don't know how much plumbers cost. That's why I asked the question.

I had assumed that the point of these forums were to try and help people out, rather than being snarky. Obviously this isn't how you see them. I hope you enjoy not helping people in the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure