MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Madge flog Harold’s stuff on eBay?

Comments

• If I was Madge I'd tell Harold that the stuff he is throwing away might fetch money on ebay, if he then chooses not to act upon that, then it's fair game for her to.

As nearlyrich points out, not everyone can be bothered with the hassle of ebay, so Madge needn't feel guilty if she profits.
  • mogoot
    mogoot Posts: 44 Forumite
    Why doesnt she buy Harold a nice bottle of wine (or something else he likes) from the proceeds?
  • Daisies
    Daisies Posts: 256 Forumite
    I think, if I were Madge, I'd go and have a chat with Harold, ask if he would mind if I took some (all?) the stuff to sell on Ebay and suggest that we split any profit. It might emerge that he would be grateful for the help and has even more stuff to get rid of, thus helping Harold to get rid of the stuff, Madge to get some cash and they both gain a friendly neighbour. Getting on well with the neighbours is probably worth more in the long run than a potential ebay profit?
  • She should tell him its valuable and would make a lot on ebay.
    And if he is not an ebayer himself, she should offer to sell it for him and give him the money.
    Selling on ebay is easy and good fun, so she shouldn't expect much for her troubles other than a small thankyou from Harold.
    This is her chance to do a good deed to Harold, and next month if she is ill and needs help with shopping, collecting kids etc, Harold will be front of the queue to help her.
    I was very ill recently and my neighbours were a great help and I would help them out gladly if the roles were reversed.
  • jimieee
    jimieee Posts: 19 Forumite
    Although she owes him nothing, I think it's only fair to check with him. He is a neighbour and she'll have to see him everyday after all... Part of me still screams "Take the money, Take the money" though :)
  • Dr_Tom
    Dr_Tom Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't see anything morally wrong with selling items that would otherwise have been junked. It would only be fair for Madge to then split the profits.

However... Harold has left these items for the benefit of his neighbours. The neighbours must be given the opportunity to take anything they can use personally before Madge takes items to sell. After that the issue may be resolved.
  • I think she should consider that if he saw her take a few things, and then asked her some time later if they have been useful to her, would she feel guilty telling him she sold them? She may feel she has taken advantage of him. He may not care what people do with the items, but I think it's better to be upfront, it prevents awkward situations later.
  • Sexy_Em
    Sexy_Em Posts: 524 Forumite
    she should offer to list it on ebay for him and split the profits...
  • He's chucking them out - I'd only say she should say something if she spots something of extraordinary value in amongst it all. I hope she edclares her extra income to the taxman, though... ;)
  • I thought this was a website used by nice people - what's the matter with you. Harold wants these things to be taken by people without payment - Madge should leave them there for people to take. If it's likely Harold is unaware of the value of things then perhaps Madge should mention to Harold that some things are worth a bit and perhaps offer to help him sell them if he isn't into that sort of thing. That's all - then leave poor Harols alone to do what he likes with his own stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure