Cod Liver Oil - safe for dogs?

Options

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hijack your thread - my dog has evening primrose oil for her allergies, and is getting arthritis and a bit of a limp. What's best for this, CLO or glucosamine/chondriatin?
    I asked the vet re glucosamine, and he said there was no scientific evidence, but I could give it a go if I wanted (minimum of 2 months.) I didn't ask about CLO as I hadn't heard of it for stiff joints.
    Any opinions anyone?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i wouldnt eat cod liver oil myslef its yeuck so there is now way id feed it my dog poor thing

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • kempy
    kempy Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    My dogs love the fishy taste of a few mls of cod liver oil on their dry food. I do not feed human grade though, but animal grade. I believe that certain amounts can be toxic to a dog.
    The following is from www.petshealthcare.com:

Can Super Solvitax Cod Liver Oil for Horses be fed to dogs?
    Yes, but please note that Cod Liver Oil for Pets is more refined and vitamin levels have been balanced specifically for pets. We would only recommend between 5-10mls of the Horse Version to be fed to dogs as we cannot guarantee the vitamin levels as this variant is specifically for horses.
    Can Super Solvitax Double Strength R~A Formula be given to dogs?

No, we would not recommend this. Vitapet has specifically been produced for dogs and vitamin levels relate specifically to the requirements of dogs. We cannot guarantee that the same levels in the Super Solvitax horse product will be suitable for dogs.
  • Penny_Watcher
    Penny_Watcher Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    robpw2 wrote: »
    i wouldnt eat cod liver oil myslef its yeuck so there is now way id feed it my dog poor thing

Yes, but you probably wouldn't eat pedigree chum or horse poo either, it's a matter of taste. :D

You cannot live as I have lived an not end up like me.

Oi you lot - please :heart:GIVE BLOOD :heart: - you never know when you and yours might need it back! 67 pints so far.
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    My colleague has just adopted a stgaffie/collie cross with joint problems. Shes giving him cod liver oil and glucosamine tablets after checking with the vet. So looks ok to give.

Catt xx
  • foreign_correspondent
    Options
    to whoever asked about glucosamine - I think you may be right that its effectiveness isnt scientifically proven, but the doc has prescribed it for my gran, so I assume they think it has some effect!
  • sweetmarie
    Options
    I have a 13 week old rottweiler puppy and the vet said to start her on cod liver oil as my central heating is making her skin flaky. I dont have it on as much now (so I suppose I will save money aswell). I also have 2 akita's, both 8 yrs old so I think I will start them on it aswell.
  • mjburton
    mjburton Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    I have given my arthritic dog cod liver oil capsules daily for about 2 years. Also give him glocusomine and condroitin tablets everyother day. He has a lovely coat for his age and is pretty good regarding his arthritis (he has hydrotherapy too which I really highly recommend for a stiff dog).

I buy in bulk at Holland and Barrett each time they have their "better than half price" or "70% off" sale. There are different strengths but I always get the small sized capsules.
  • daffodiltulip
    Options
    Sainsbury's have a basics brand of clo capsules at forty pence for thirty capsules - 500g. Right now they have a buy two get one free offer. Their liquid oil, that my dog has, is £2.10 for 300ml and they have the same offer on right now.
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I give my dog 'joint aid', half a teaspoon of cod liver oil and also a couple of drops of olive oil (good for their claws apparantly) every day.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure