Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Roger1
    • By Roger1 4th Apr 12, 1:40 PM
    • 1,081Posts
    • 520Thanks
    Boots over-60s Advantage card - major devaluation
    • 4th Apr 12, 1:40 PM
    Boots over-60s Advantage card - major devaluation 4th Apr 12 at 1:40 PM
    Snailmail received today.

Until now, members of Boots' Advantage scheme aged over 60 have received 10% discount on Boots-branded products. Advantage points were earned on the net value at 4 points/£.

That scheme is ending. The Health Club (as it is now known) is abolishing the 10% discount from 25 April 2012. Instead they will award 10 points per £ for each transaction.

Assuming that 1 point = 1p to spend, this represents a devaluation of 3.6% from 25.4.12.

Examples for £100 spend on Boots-branded products:

Now: £100 less £10 discount = £90
    £90 @ 4 points/£ = 360 points = £3.60 in value
    £10 discount + £3.60 points value = £13.60 total discount

From 25.4.12
    £100 @ 10 points/£ = 1000 points = £10.00 in value, so just £10 total discount

They call this an 'upgrade'. I call it weasel words. Once again, loyalty only works in one direction.
Page 2
    • MrsGrey
    • By MrsGrey 12th Apr 12, 9:10 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Yes of course. I have made the point to Boots that they can adjust/withdraw/whatever the discounts, just don't lie....
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 13th Apr 12, 3:35 PM
    • 4,236 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    I have a double points coupon valid to 12 June, it also says on it 8 points per pound.
    What I want to know is which of those is a lie.
    I have just asked in boots and been told by the manager that if I use the coupon after 25 April I will get 8 points per pound, in other words less than if I hadn't used it.
    Some promotion Boots
    The only thing that is constant is change.
    • PennyForThem
    • By PennyForThem 13th Apr 12, 6:26 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    This was on WatchDog last night - showed clearly that NOT a better deal

I suppose you could check out on BBC iplayer
    • alanq
    • By alanq 13th Apr 12, 7:00 PM
    • 3,182 Posts
    • 2,049 Thanks
    Starts 19m15s in.

Watchdog's maths
    £100 of goods under old scheme
    10% discount -£10
    90x4 points -£3.60
    Effective cost £86.40

£100 of goods under new scheme
    100x10 points -£10
    Effective cost £90.

HOWEVER, the difference is even worse than Watchdog calculated because, as h.blumberg pointed out earlier, £10 worth of points when spent will earn no further points whereas £10.00 of cash when spent under the old scheme would have bought goods worth £11.11 and earned a further 40 points.
    Last edited by alanq; 13-04-2012 at 7:29 PM.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 16th Apr 12, 4:07 PM
    • 17,448 Posts
    • 43,431 Thanks
    That's a pain! By timing vouchers and 3 for 2 offers, I've always managed to stock up on No 7 serums, as well as other goodies.

I do find that the multi-buys on essentials, such as supplements and intra-dental brushes, are worthwhile.

(Of course, someone will say that supplements are not essentials)
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Wighton
    Boots drop 10% discount
    My local Boots says that the 10% discount to oldie card holders has been dropped in favour of extra points. They must be following Osborne's lead that we have too much money. Will others follow?
    • alanq
    • By alanq 26th Apr 12, 6:01 PM
    • 3,182 Posts
    • 2,049 Thanks
    Deceitful announcement of recent "improvements" already discussed here.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 26th Apr 12, 8:50 PM
    • 35,611 Posts
    • 31,762 Thanks
    Merged ...
    I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Now knitting on holiday, more relaxing than I anticipated!
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 29th Apr 12, 5:40 PM
    • 4,236 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    I went down on Saturday and spent £42.10 on Boots own 342 & £2.60 on half price non-Boots items, total £44.70 and I had a double points voucher.
    For some reason I had £2.00 deducted for a voucher and I received 176 points (4 per £ on Boots own) and 240 over 60s points (6 per £ on boots own)
    So it appears I received a 5% discount once, the till said the new voucher could not be used again, instead of double points, which wiould have been 8 per £ (ordinary rate) twice.
    Under the old system I would have paid £2 less and received 176 points so I'm £2 worse of and 240 points better off.
    I think I'm happy
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • sixtyandcheated
    You are all missing one point the original 10% applied only to Boots products but the new scheme applies to all goods, so if for example you buy a £100 camera you will get an extra £6 worth of points. You are only worse off if you only buy Boots products, act your age
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 12th Aug 13, 9:54 AM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    ... act your age
    Originally posted by sixtyandcheated

Good advice, also suitable for Newbies!

By the way, you're wrong. The relevant webpage clearly shows:
    10 points for every £1 you spend on Boots branded products & No7 every time you shop in store
    with no mention of extra points on non-Boots products or services.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

586Posts Today

4,325Users online

Martin's Twitter