Do you need a chimney for a wood burning stove?

2»

Comments

• prosaver wrote: »
    how much did it all cost to set up?
    I have to say that the twin-walled SS flue was horribly expensive - over £100 per metre material only. There's probably about 6 metres of flue, so by the time you allow for fitting etc, it would have been well over £1000 for the flue. (It was part of a lump sum for a total house renovation, so I can't be more precise than that).

This is what it looked like during installation. The flue pipe comes up through the bedroom floor from the stove underneath, and out through the roof. As I said, we get the benefit in the bedroom whenever the stove is on, as the pipe warms up (but not too hot to touch).
    0704280009.jpg
    A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove you don't need it.
  • sunshinetours
    sunshinetours Posts: 2,854 Forumite
    As above the twin wall SS flue pipe is the expensive bit. Its something we need to have done if we waht a "real fire" but the downsides are initial cost and looks (they aren't attractive in any shape or form) and real fires are not cheaper to run unless you have a good supply of firewood.
    Think we will end up with a gas stove that works via a balanced flue. Cheaper, less messy, and possibly no more cost to run than a real fire
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    ormus wrote: »
    good-installation.jpg

another example.

It's an eyesore!
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's an eyesore!

Really constructive comment :T
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • sunshinetours
    sunshinetours Posts: 2,854 Forumite
    Maybe - but its true - that is an ugly installation and that can be the problem with external flues on some houses
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have to say that the twin-walled SS flue was horribly expensive - over £100 per metre material only. There's probably about 6 metres of flue, so by the time you allow for fitting etc, it would have been well over £1000 for the flue. (It was part of a lump sum for a total house renovation, so I can't be more precise than that).

This is what it looked like during installation. The flue pipe comes up through the bedroom floor from the stove underneath, and out through the roof. As I said, we get the benefit in the bedroom whenever the stove is on, as the pipe warms up (but not too hot to touch).
    0704280009.jpg
    thanks mate,
    the things is, we are thinking of getting a new boiler,
    The choice
    a, back boiler with fire and heats the central heating up(open up old fire place)
    b, wood burning stove,conected to cental heating
    c combi boiler so ive got a quote for a combi fitted 1400
    d nothing-wait till it packs in ( the boiler is from the 70s but still going strong)
    need to do some research....
    anyone got any ideas?
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business