BT Complaints & Escalation

Comments

• Hi scooter_aust

I have just seen your post and would like to look into this for you, just checkout my profile section were you will find my contact info.

Regards David

I tried to open your main web page to make contacct and got a page from BT saying it's not available. How do I best contact you to get help with a complaint against BT?
  • butterflymum
    butterflymum Posts: 987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 26 January 2012 at 3:13PM
    Will be interesting to see if you get a reply.....although the BT Rep's status shows as being online quite often, I assume he must be on other boards as on the Home Phone one, replies are not always forthcoming. I did get a reply on this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3752457 but only to first part of question, and am still awaiting reply to the second part. Edit: further reply since added

Also, agree with all earlier posters.....and in my opinion too, from experience, when you complain to BT about a matter, even if it is escalated, you are continually fobbed off and most straight questions to them are not answered properly. It does strike me, as others have said, that they aim to wear you down and hope you will go away. Some folks do give up because of these tactics....whilst others of us plod on, in hope of eventually receiving proper responses and satisfactory outcomes.
    butterfly )i(
  • To BT's Chairman Sir Michael Rake10/11: "This cancellation (of mycontract in my absence) has confirmed for me that you have an element ofemployees who feel free to act with a malignant, dull-witted ignorance, incynical contempt for the best interests of the customer."

Instead of taking note of mycomplaint the Chairman's assistant proceeded to prove my point, in dull wittedignorance of the provisions of the Disability Discrimination Act yet again! Theirsupposedly independent private ombudsman endorsed this ignorance, claiming thatBT was entitled to act in breach of the law for commercial reasons.

I doubt that the Chairman evensaw the correspondence, making a complete mockery of his proclaimed "Vision, Strategy and Values dedicated tohelping customers thrive in a changing world." Following a threat oflegal action for debt, a defence/claim was sent to the Chief Executive, and hisoffice rang me back, months too late, perhaps finally realising that brushingaside my complaint without any attempt to investigate contradicted theChairman's vision strategy and values.

There must be a big question markagainst their Ombudsman's Service's impartiality. There has been more than awhiff of collusion in their relationship in this case. BT's apparent ethos, directedfrom the boardroom, of unscrupulous bullying, complete lack of empathy, and disdainfor customer care, is sanctioned by their Ombudsman's view that BT is too bigto bother to care about ethical business practice!

Without an offer of substantialcompensation, after forty years its bye bye to BT from me! More to follow.

Furious Hogarth
  • paven
    paven Posts: 7 Forumite
    I've moved from BT to Virgin (because I wanted the broadband speeds). Whilst the account is in my wife's name, the DD always came from my account, and overpayments on our account were always refunded to my account. However the refund of the credit balance has been sent in a cheque in my wife's name.

Unfortunately she doesn't have a bank account as Mrs paven, (she's kept it in her maiden name). We've rung since early March requesting a cheque in my name and 3 times now we've been promised a cheque in my name.

Any ideas how I can actually get my £70 back. I'm on the verge of cancelling the BT line I pay for at my elderly mothers house and moving her to another provider as the only "action" I can take against BT.
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Hi Paven,

The reason why the cheque was issue in your Wife's name was because she was the BT account holder, regardless of what payment details were used.

I can take a look at this for you to see if I can get the cheque re-issued. I will need you wife to send me in her BT account details using the link found in my profile?

Thanks

Paddy
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    paven wrote: »
    I'm on the verge of cancelling the BT line I pay for at my elderly mothers house and moving her to another provider as the only "action" I can take against BT.

Do it. BT *will* start messing her around. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but sometime soon...and for (what seems like) the rest of her life. Save yourself the hassle and flee!
  • I have been with BT for 4 years and was looking for a better deal on my broadband and phone service. I called to ask what was available, as I've seen better deals elsewhere, and was told they can offer me all my services for £32 per month (a saving of £15 per month!). But, then the operative hesitated and advised me this was not possible and that I had to wait until my contract expired in July (bband) and Nov (phone) until she could do something. I have to say that after 4 years this is a very under-handed way of locking people into dealing with BT. It's not as if I'm getting an amazing price package which justifies such a lock-in period. In fact their prices, that I'm paying, are the highest in the market.

Furthermore, if I want to take my business elsewhere I have to pay a cancellation charge of £82!!!!

According to their operatives calculation I could save as much as £15 per month by staying with them on a better deal (if I'm stupid enough to stay) , but have to wait until contract end. And if I'm not happy about it and want to go elsewhere then, not only are they over-charging me for services everyone else (including new customers) can get for a discounted price, but they're going to charge me £82 to leave their over-priced plan!.

I'm disgusted at their attitude, disgusted at their inability to be flexible and outlook on customer retention and I'm disgusted that I have to pay their extortionate fee just to walk away from your sky-high fees and bad service.

Most ironic of all is that I want to move to a provider that will charge less than £30 per month for all the services I have with BT, and they give 6 times more broadband usage than them, and the name of the company I wan to move to?..... ....they're called Plusnet - and they're owned by BT!

Is that really a fair way to do business?
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    numbchucks wrote: »
    Is that really a fair way to do business?

No, of course not...but BT are still convinced that they're a monopoly - so "fair" doesn't come into it.

Anyway, you can get some good cashback deals on switching to virgin media, sky etc. Use that to pay the cancellation charge and get out ASAP. Personally, I'd look at cable as I just don't feel Plusnet, sky etc are *far enough* away from BT's incompetence...
  • We are with VIRGIN MEDIA and they have given us an appalling service since last nov when i added broadband to our package, and we went over to E billing. Every month they add extra charges and late payment charges even though its paid by direct debit! ive had to pay several times over the phone with my debit card to clear the debt cos of the late payment charges, the money is there in the bank to take but they either dont take it, or they over charge me!
    This is so frustrating because when i try to talk to them on the phone i get nowhere and i have spent hours trying to resolve these problems that are their fault. We are now thinking about going elsewhere, can anyone recommend a better company??
    Also i'm tied to the broadband deal for 18 months how can i get out of this without having to pay their £150 get out charge? surely they have breached their contract with us in having not provided the proper service to us? can we cancel with them without incurring the charges?
    Any advice warmly welcomed thanks!
  • Thanks for the tip Idiophreak

Unfortunately, we can't get cable where we are and I don't trust Sky as far as I could chuck them. I've heard a lot a good sounds about Plusnet, and that must be a hard market to stand out from and be talked about positively. Plusnet see t strike a good balance, shame they're part of BT though....

@The Raiders - It looks to me like you're right and Virgin have broken a contract. Under the sale of goods and services act I reckon that qualifies as a right to walk away. Personally, to get their attention, I'd cancel the DD and write to them to explain your side of things. I'd say you should get a response a bit quicker than usual. Here's hoping! Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure