PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

There is a Better Cleaner Than Stardrops

Options

Comments

• beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Barkeepers Friend is brilliant! Found it in the kitchen of a cottage we stayed in and was really, really impressed.
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • brummiebird443
    Options
    Thanks OP, You've really saved me alot of heartache! I've recently had a new stainless hob and sink fitted and have tried lots of things to try and keep them both clean (stardrops, CIF stainless steel cleaner etc) but really had no joy. The splatter marks on the hob would just turn really milky and if i used any elbow grease i'd end up scatching the damn thing! i thought i'd made the biggest mistake of my life buying stainless steel BUT i've been saved!!!
    I came across this thread yesterday and rushed out to my local sainsburys and bought some of the bar keepers friend, got home and used it on both the hob and the sink and guess what??? its removed all the horrible flecks of grease and other marks in seconds, my hob and sink are sparkling. I'd never have thought of buying the stuff if i hadnt read this thread. I cant thank you enough :j , THANKS!
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    This is what it looks like (to help you find it on the shelf if you're looking)

311ECD11t3L._AA280_.jpg
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • kodokan
    kodokan Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    It's brilliant - superb at cleaning, a bottle last for EVER (or maybe I just don't clean much..?) and there's no chemically smell, which I'm susceptible to being slightly asthmatic. Love it, love it.

And did you know that the glass door on the inside of ovens can be taken off, and cleaned horizontally, which stops all the oily cleaning gunk running onto your kitchen floor? This took me 36 years to figure out!

kodokan
  • pollysg
    pollysg Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This sounds great. I've never heard of Stardrops tho, is it available in supermarkets? AND can I use it to clean the inside of car widscreens - nothing I have tried so far gets through the greasiness that builds up.
  • scotrae
    scotrae Posts: 588 Forumite
    Options
    :j
    stefejb wrote: »
    love barkeepers too and also the "green" cleaning putty from tesco :)

... cleaning putty ... pray tell!
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Looks like I'll have to bring back some of that in my bag next time I come over. I brought stardrops back with me last time. :D It's great and I use such a tiny amount it should last me years. I've found it really good so far for lot's of general cleaning.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• F1F1
    F1F1 Posts: 218 Forumite
    Options
    I've used Barkeeper's Friend for years and it's great stuff. Environmentally friendly, made from rhubarb leaves I believe! It was used originally by barkeepers in America to polish all the chrome, brass etc. It was used to clean the Albert Memorial in London. You might not get it in smaller supermarkets <they don't stock it in supermarkets here in Shetland!> but one or two of our hardware shops do. Or you can get it from Lakeland.
  • Lizzieanne
    Options
    jordylass wrote: »
    I've wondered if this would move the metal marks off my porcelain sink. Is it suitable for porcelain?

I have the same problem, jordylass! My porcelein sink has a few metal marks where Mr L has leant things like baking trays against the side whilst cleaning them. I'm not complaining too much, at least he was washing up!

I might give this a go, it's a product my Mum used to use when I was a little girl and I think she still uses it now on her stainless steel sink.
    Mortgage Free as of 03/07/2017 :beer:
  • WiseOldBird_2
    Options
    I've also used Barkeepers Friend for years. Can't be beat for hard to remove stains. I use it on my porcelain sink to remove those nasty grey marks that pans leave (and before that on my acrylic? white sink - brought it up a treat.)

I also have white laminate countertops and use BF on them for hard to shift stains (eg. beetroot stains, pollen stains, etc..............ooh! I'm sounding a right messy so and so now!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure