New driver questions on clutch help please don't want to burn it out..

Comments

• dogshome wrote: »
    Never keep the clutch depressed when stationary, always slip into nuetral

You are not harming the clutch by keeping it depressed, but you are massively increasing the wear on the Thrust Bearing which operates the clutch - This is a simple part that doesn't cost much, but changeing it involves nearly as much labour and cost as replaceing the entire clutch.

My ancient Pug 406 I keep as a caravan tug has just clocked 160,000 miles and it's running on the original clutch

I have been doing this for about 30 miles will i have done much damage? i will correct myself now :beer:
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    wait you are not meant to put the clutch down when you brake?
  • loskie wrote: »
    sounds like you should bite the bullet and take a driving refresher lesson.
    https://www.bsm.co.uk/learner-driver/refreshers-lessons

I had a half day IAM one through work last year and quite enjoyed it. I am 44 and drive around 20000m per year 60000m per year in my early to mid 20's.

Thank you i will look into these!

How much did they roughly cost you ?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    kmb500 wrote: »
    wait you are not meant to put the clutch down when you brake?
    Umm, you have passed your test, right?
  • kmb500
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Umm, you have passed your test, right?
    When I first started driving I think I tried braking without the clutch down but I don't trust it not to stall or go wrong if you brake in gear. That's weird. :o
  • AdrianC
    When I first started driving I think I tried braking without the clutch down but I don't trust it not to stall or go wrong if you brake in gear. That's weird. :o
    I'm very scared now.
  • kmb500
    I'm very scared now.
    I have driven 40,000 miles, I've been braking wrong this whole time?
    I'm gonna try this on the drive home later.

I thought you always needed to either have the accelerator down or the clutch down..?
    If you are at standstill and you put the car in first and release the clutch, it stalls. Why is this any different?
  • AdrianC
    I have driven 40,000 miles, I've been braking wrong this whole time?
    I'm gonna try this on the drive home later.

If you are at standstill and you put the car in first and release the clutch, it stalls. Why is this any different?
    OK, let's go back a step or three...

The clutch connects the engine to the gearbox.
    The gearbox gives you a choice of ratios between the speed of the engine and the speed of the wheels.
    The only time you do not want the engine and gearbox connected is when you are changing gear, or you are stationary and in gear. The rest of the time, you should choose the right gear for the road speed and conditions.

The accelerator pedal is the main way you adjust your road speed. You use it to increase your speed, you use it to decrease your speed, you use it to keep your speed steady.
    The brake pedal is a fall-back for when you need to decrease your speed more rapidly than simply easing off the accelerator will allow. If you're driving smoothly and your observation is adequate, then you will rarely need it except at low speeds.

If you are within a range of road speeds for which a particular gear is suitable, then get off the clutch.
    If you are accelerating or slowing, then use the clutch to change gear at appropriate times. But, apart from that, get off the clutch.
    If you are decelerating to a gentle halt, then change gear as you go, and use the clutch when the speed drops below first gear's acceptable speeds - as you come to a halt, in other words. But, apart from that, get off the clutch.
    If you are braking hard to a rapid halt, then the same, but you won't have time to slow through the gears, so the speed at which you use the clutch will be higher. But, apart from that, get off the clutch.

This is the sort of stuff your instructor would have covered in your first few driving lessons, quite probably in a nice quiet car park or industrial estate with very little traffic, and you would have mastered before you started learning how to play with other traffic.
    I thought you always needed to either have the accelerator down or the clutch down..?

<blink> Seriously?
  • kmb500
    This is the sort of stuff your instructor would have covered in your first few driving lessons, quite probably in a nice quiet car park or industrial estate with very little traffic, and you would have mastered before you started learning how to play with other traffic.

<blink> Seriously?
    Hmm. I use the clutch all the time, when I accelerate I balance it out with the clutch, and when I brake I have the clutch fully down. I worry that the car will stall. Like I said, if you're in first and you just take your foot off the clutch too quickly doesn't it stall?

I have always driven like this. My instructor never said I had a problem with it. I can drive perfectly competently. I guess it's just a different style of driving.
    I'm gonna pop out in my car now for a few mins just to see what you mean.
  • AdrianC
    Like I said, if you're in first and you just take your foot off the clutch too quickly doesn't it stall?
    Yes. That's just the most basic clutch control that you'd have learnt immediately after first starting the engine. Without mastering that, you don't get the car to move in order to learn any more advanced skills...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure