PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Saturday 15 October

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,007 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Morning everyone.

The sky is beginning to lighten now, it was so dark half an hour ago.

I'm so thrilled with my clean windows - small things bring so much pleasure these days.

My only plans are to go to a 'jumble sale' at a neighbouring village which will have an arts and crafts stall. I'm hoping for something more than a knitted toilet roll lady or (bad) hand made soap.

RIP Jean Alexander.

Happy Saturday to all.
  • Morning GERS and all to follow. A bit of a drab start here but they say today will be slightly milder. Am hoping so as I want to cut some stuff well back and I'm not an all weather gardener!

I have been chasing my tail non-stop since we came back from the caravan Thursday afternoon. We brought more stuff back to add to DS's stuff already surrounding us. I got all the bedding and clothing we brought back washed and dried yesterday so, of course, there is now a huge ironing pile!

I made a big Shepherd's Pie and lots of veg for dinner last night and there is quite a bit left over which will warm up nicely for lunch. I have just got a bag of prawns out to defrost for tonight, to have in a seafood sauce with big jacket spuds and salad. So that's an easy cooking day ahead.

Mr TA was slightly more comfortable yesterday and had certainly slept better than the night before. I am hoping there is more improvement today.

Have a good day all and (((HUGS))) to all the poorlies and worried. Thinking especially of LAINEY and her DM. Take care all whatever you are up to xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning everyone

Gers- thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, dry underfoot at the moment, sky is very cloudy and overcast and forecast for here is showers all day.

DH and myself now enjoying first peaceful cuppas of the day, I've also had my porridge, I've also showered and am dressed. Both boys still in their pits.

Today we have a few jobs on the list to get done, so if we achieve all of them I'll be happy.

Yesterday I managed to get both our bed and DS2's bed's stripped and his bed linen washed and dried, ours is still waiting to be washed, as it's king size, it won't all fit in the washing machine at once, so it's 2 loads, but will get it washed tomorrow as forecast is sunny and warmer, hopefully I'll get it all line dried.

Dinner last night was ribs in smoky bbq sauce, prawn and veg rice with mushroom chow mein. Tonight will be gammon, egg, chips and peas, the gammon is from the butchers, so we'll see how good it is.

I did manage to get some baking/cooking done yesterday, I made 2 doz twinks, apple crumble and a victoria sponge - which needs the buttercream and jam filling to be put in, but it wasn't cool properly last night when I wanted to do it, so I need to do that today. I also took DS2 to get some swim shorts, trackie bottoms, a warm zip up hoodie and a new pair of trainers - didn't do too bad, the trackie bottoms and zip up hoodie we found in MrT, and he tried them on and said how comfortable they are, £28 for both, then his swim shorts £7.99 and trainers were £29.99 - obviously from the big discount sports store, normally his trainers alone, are £50+ - the last pair were nearly £70, the one's he chose are a different make and are a cross between a trainer and a walking shoe, we'll see how he goes, as soon as he tried them on he said how comfortable they are, hoping that continues and he doesn't grow any more - he's 16 years old, currently 10.5 shoe size, towers above me, he's now taller than his dad, and is a shade under 15 stone and build like a brick outhouse!

Have good Saturdays' everyone x

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning everyone, thanks for the thread Gers x

Dry here at the moment, WM on at the moment and hope it will dry outside as bedding which takes ages on the airers.

Had a lovely and much needed evening out with my pals last night, we range in age from 27 right through to 55 but all get on so well and the laughs are non-stop. Had a Cajun rump steak with Stilton sauce which was delicious followed by Bakewell tart & cream, yum but boy was I stuffed :)
    Thanks v much for kind words re Mum and letter etc, we have made an official complaint to NHS England if only so another family won't have to go through the same. I did have a good long chat with DM about it, she said was reconciled to timescale etc now but was shocked mainly because she feels relatively well at the moment. We talked about how her positive mental attitude will impact time left and she reassured me that she has far from given up! It also left the door open for some tricky conversations re wishes etc which we touched on but will talk more tonight when I go over and it will just be her and my brother.

Eldest hollow legged-legged SS is popping in today so will be good to catch up in his world, must also make time to see Bill as missed yesterday.

Have a good day everyone, take care folks x
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Lainey well done on sorting out a sensitive subject with your DM.I kept thinking about what happened and felt so angry for you both Enough stress on the family as it is without additional worry, hugs to you all xx

And good morning to you all. weather looking dry but cold at the moment. Luckily I don't have to poke my head outside today as I have more than enough food and it will be another NSD for me today.This morning I am going to do my ironing and watch some catch-up TV. Then possibly sit and knit for awhile this afternoon with my feet up and the wireless on. Very relaxing with a pot of tea by the side of me :) My idea of pure bliss just doing what I feel like and no scurrying around at all

Hope you all have as a relaxing weekend as me :)

Take care chums

JackieO xx
  • Morning all x
    Well just waiting for DH to finish getting ready then we are off to town . He has an eye appointment at 11 and I want to get some veg from market and need to fill a prescription.
    DD2 is off today to visit friends in Southampton so will be out overnight. Hopefully DH and myself can relax with a film or 2 and a few glasses of wine.
    Want to cook tonight but DH has already shown plans of eating out so will have to play it by ear.
    Been looking at the halogen cookers and was wondering if they are worth the money or not.
    Need to get washing done today as DD1 and DGD will be with us tomorrow and I will not have chance then. Also need to clean the bathroom and replace the shower screen rubber seal as it's looking worn
    Anyhoo I can hear movement from above now so better get on
    Hugs to all in need xx
    Bright Blessings xx
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,861 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Morning all, thanks for the thread Gers xx

Lainey - I feel so awful for you and DM. Glad that you made a complaint as that should never have happened. Sending hugs xxx

I had a lovely day yesterday at the prize giving and met David Domoney. One funny moment where I was photo bombing (unintentionally) and he told me to move out the way lol. Embarrassing in front of 200 strong audience.

We had a fish n chip takeaway last night which was lovely at the time but suffered for it during the night. I haven't had that type of thing for ages and it made my tummy hurt.

Bedding is on and will put it on the line shortly. Rain due later.

Have a good day all,
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill 1/24
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,007 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Gers wrote: »

My only plans are to go to a 'jumble sale' at a neighbouring village which will have an arts and crafts stall. I'm hoping for something more than a knitted toilet roll lady or (bad) hand made soap.

I've changed my mind about going out - it's turned horrible outside so I'm going to stay cosy at home.

The fridge needs 'eating down' so I've dug out a packet of chorizo and a tube of tomato paste. I'll match it up with some defrosted chicken thighs for two meals over the weekend.

Keep warm everyone.
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Morning all,

Nice bright day here got a wash on the go and at least another two to go in will get them all on the line today.

Got up this morning and the fire was still glowing so I shoved some more paper and kindling on and we now have a roaring fire again.

Wont be doing too much today as back to work tomorrow so intend to make the most of my day off, OH is going to run up the shop and get some bits and bobs and we need to have a good clean through and walk the dog.

This afternoon will be devoted to relaxing, I shall be found on the sofa in front of the fire watching films and quite possibly having a snooze.

Dinner tonight is going to be Jacket spuds which we are going to try and cook on the log burner with nice ham and cheese etc.

Lainey hugs to you and your dear mum.

Have good days all xx
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Sorry for going missing for a few days - I've tried to keep up - but sometimes you gotta be happy with what you can do rather than what you want to do.

Hugs/positivity and xxxxx's to all who want them. To those in a dark place, keep going - ha! you probably thought I'd given up - but no - c'mon you can do it. Sending love and brightness xxxx
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure