Microwave refunded but NOT collected - Can I keep it?

Hi

I bought a microwave from George.com at Asda. However, I decided to return it as it was unsuitable.

On 12/09/16 no one showed up and my sister was at home all day.

On 13/09/16 Yodel attempted collection at 5.14, even though I had already explained to George customer services that no one would be home until after 7pm.

The third collection was arranged for 16/09/16 after 7pm but Yodel didn't show up again.

I've made numerous attempts to get the microwave collected, even though we've already received a refund. I've phonedGeorge.com ten times, I've emailedGeorge.com twice and I've emailed Yodel twice. In addition, to this I've emailedGeorge.com and Yodel together an additional five times.

What else can I do?!Does the item become mine after a period of time?

Thanks

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It used to be that you had to keep it and make it available for collection for a full six months before it could be considered an "unsolicited gift". Not sure what the law is now though.

A couple of missed attempts isn't anywhere near keeping it.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    anirah2 wrote: »
    Does the item become mine after a period of time?
    No, it never becomes yours.

But the good news is that after six years Asda can no longer chase you for the product or its monetary equivalent.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite

What else can I do?!Does the item become mine after a period of time?

Thanks

To answer the second question there, no it never becomes yours - although after 6 years the retailer would lose their ability to issue legal proceedings against you for its return/its value.

As for what more you can do, I presume it was purchased online and not in store?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Thanks for the replies. Six years! Wow.
  • Why_Not_
    Why_Not_ Posts: 20
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 13 October 2016 at 6:31PM
    To answer the second question there, no it never becomes yours - although after 6 years the retailer would lose their ability to issue legal proceedings against you for its return/its value.

As for what more you can do, I presume it was purchased online and not in store?

Yes I purchased it online and was offered the refund after one of the days it was supposed to be collected but wasn't. They don't realise this though (apart from the guy who processed the refund obv).

So George just thinks I'm being difficult to get my money back, when I'm actually just trying to get the thing out of my sister's hallway.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite

So George just thinks I'm being difficult to get my money back, when I'm actually just trying to get the thing out of my sister's hallway.
    You'll probably find your local Asda will accept it back, but make sure you get a receipt from them since they won't be actually actioning the refund.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Yep, quick trip to your local ASDA to drop it off and voila, problem solved! The time you'll waste waiting for deliveries may be longer than the drive to your local store.

You could also maybe send an email to them and ASK to keep it! Its a bit cheeky like, and I don't know for certain what the law is, but they may just agree to that and be done with it.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Their website seems to indicate the options are to take it back to an asda store (depending on the product/store), drop it off at a collect+ or send it back by post.

OP have you tried logging into your account and doing this from the "your orders" section? Might be slightly more hassle than having it collected but at least it gets it out of your way and ensures asda arent going to try and recharge your card later on.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    daytona0 wrote: »
    I don't know for certain what the law is, but they may just agree to that and be done with it.
    They wouldn't remain in business very long if they routinely gave away products from cancelled orders! As far as the law is concerned, it is now their property again and the OP has to make the item available for collection.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    They wouldn't remain in business very long if they routinely gave away products from cancelled orders! As far as the law is concerned, it is now their property again and the OP has to make the item available for collection.

Don't cherry pick! :p

ASDA will remain in business for a long time even if they gave away products from cancelled orders, because cancellations are few and far between and ASDA is huge :)

In terms of my query about the law, I was talking more about the following:

1. OP asks ASDA if they can keep the microwave (a bit cheeky like but whatever!)

2. ASDA agent agrees

3. a few months later ASDA try and chase the money/item
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family