Contrat Notice - Longer Period?

2»

Comments

• Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I really don't see any positives to handing in your notice early. Just hand it in the month before you intend to leave.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    In my last job, I gave my notice 3 months in advance so they could start advertising for my position. This was agreed with my manager and HR but I have written an email clearly stating that I'm giving an early notice and that my last day at work will 31 December 2016.
    ally.
  • stugib
    stugib Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Really? On what basis?
    Question: if the contract stated a month's notice and notice was given, couldn't the employer choose to set a leaving date a month from then rather than the employee's preferred leaving date which was later? So it's not about dismissing, it's them sticking to the terms of the contract if it suited them rather than the employee?
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    stugib wrote: »
    Question: if the contract stated a month's notice and notice was given, couldn't the employer choose to set a leaving date a month from then rather than the employee's preferred leaving date which was later? So it's not about dismissing, it's them sticking to the terms of the contract if it suited them rather than the employee?
    No they couldn't. You don't understand notice. The notice period is a minimum. So if your notice period is a month, there is nothing to stop you saying that your are giving two months. You simply say on which date you are leaving. So if the employer cuts that shorty, it is exactly about dismissing.
  • stugib
    stugib Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    No they couldn't. You don't understand notice.
    You're quite aggressive answering genuine questions. Not everyone is spoiling for an argument!
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    stugib wrote: »
    You're quite aggressive answering genuine questions. Not everyone is spoiling for an argument!
    Good grief where did that come from? It is utter rubbish. Statement - no they couldn't. That is a fact. Statement - you don't understand notice. That is a fact. Followed by an explanation of notice.

So in future, keep your aggressive and confrontational opinions to yourself and !!!!!!. In case you are under any illusions, that was aggressive. if I am being aggressive there would be no doubt about it. If you wish to infer sentiments that are not there, then you are the one with the problem
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good grief where did that come from? It is utter rubbish. Statement - no they couldn't. That is a fact. Statement - you don't understand notice. That is a fact. Followed by an explanation of notice.
    Your approach is often aggressive even though what you say is true. There are ways of saying the same thing that don't sound aggressive. You could have said "it doesn't work quite like that" instead of the blunt "you don't understand notice".
  • sangie595 wrote: »
    A local authority will not attempt to get rid of you any quicker, and will doubtless appreciate the additional notice. There is no reason not to give them more warning - especially if you are hoping for them to do something for you!

Hey,

Thanks for your advice, and i'm also going to speak my union's local branch about it.

We are (my partner) looking at a leaving date of no later than 31st March 2017 - would you recommend handing in my notice in early November, stating this will be the case?

Regardless what other posters have put, i've seen first-hand that it usually takes the council months to fill any vacant position. They're also rather understaffed, and i doubt they'll want me out after a couple of months.

Will be seeking a casual contract when i sumbit the notice, and i feel i'm doing the right thing by providing plenty of notice. Everyone knows i have received my Swedish registration, they know i'm going so time to end the rumours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure