PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?

Comments

• kilby_007
    kilby_007 Posts: 738 Forumite
    I spoke to my dad last night. The EA actually phoned him a couple of hours after yesterday's group viewing and asked if he wanted to place an offer! You'd think they'd realise (having the same surname as me) that he's a relative! The reason they had his info on file is because he expressed interest for yesterday's group viewing but then went along the day before (Sunday) with my wife instead.

So, as expected they are trying to get a bidding war started. When we sold our house, we sold to the first person who offered the asking price. If you've achieved what you wanted then why would you start playing people off against each other for a couple of extra grand....
  • copperjar
    copperjar Posts: 884 Forumite
    It might not be that they want to start a bidding war Kilby. When I offered on a house (not the one we eventually got!) the EA told me he would ring the other people that had viewed to tell them there was an offer and ask if they wanted to make one as well. He told me he would always do that out of fairness and would do the same if I was the vendor. I didn't take it that he wanted to start a bidding war but was confident that 1) people don't usually wait before making an offer so I was the only one and 2) if a higher offer did come in later the EA would let me know!

I think you're in a strong position. They have had a lot of interest but only one offer. Probably just wanted to see if any other viewers were interested but it sounds like they're not. I think they will accept your bid!
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,899
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hope things work out in yout favour Kilby, let us know how you get on. It is so frustrating and stressful isn't it.

Well, my sale and purchase is still going through. The survey on the one I'm buying is booked for Friday, so I'm hoping nothing too negative comes back on that.

Like many of you, absolutely nothing has come onto the market since I decided to go ahead with this one, so I feel a little better about it, I was convinced ten of my dream homes would pop up as soon as I'd comitted to this house!
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £67,390
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £612.94/£2000 Total OP’s: £8823.50
    SAVINGS: EF: £6423.55/£15,000
  • kilby_007
    copperjar wrote: »
    It might not be that they want to start a bidding war Kilby. When I offered on a house (not the one we eventually got!) the EA told me he would ring the other people that had viewed to tell them there was an offer and ask if they wanted to make one as well. He told me he would always do that out of fairness and would do the same if I was the vendor. I didn't take it that he wanted to start a bidding war but was confident that 1) people don't usually wait before making an offer so I was the only one and 2) if a higher offer did come in later the EA would let me know!

I think you're in a strong position. They have had a lot of interest but only one offer. Probably just wanted to see if any other viewers were interested but it sounds like they're not. I think they will accept your bid!

Yeah you've got to expect the EA to collect the offers, I get that. I just hope that they now they have achieved their asking price they choose whoever is in the strongest position and go with it rather than trying to get people to outbid each other, but I know that is probably wishful thinking on my part.
  • kilby_007
    MeandO wrote: »
    Hope things work out in yout favour Kilby, let us know how you get on. It is so frustrating and stressful isn't it.

Well, my sale and purchase is still going through. The survey on the one I'm buying is booked for Friday, so I'm hoping nothing too negative comes back on that.

Like many of you, absolutely nothing has come onto the market since I decided to go ahead with this one, so I feel a little better about it, I was convinced ten of my dream homes would pop up as soon as I'd comitted to this house!

Yep! Super stressful! It's not like we're new to this, but this is the first time we've offered asking price and I expected things to be wrapped up quicker than this. I'm just keeping myself busy at work at the moment to keep my mind off it!

Fingers crossed for your survey! There's so many stressful moments with house buying isn't there! It must be satisfying for you to know that nothing else has cropped up that you like whilst your purchase is going through, you've made the best choice at that moment in time where you needed to buy, and that's all you can do, so congrats :-)
  • Well, the EA came back to us. Another higher offer is now on the table. We offered 5K more but they said it's still higher and a cash offer, so we've backed out. :-( I just want to cry now, we've been looking for a year and that's the only house that's been right for us within budget.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    kilby_007 wrote: »
    Well, the EA came back to us. Another higher offer is now on the table. We offered 5K more but they said it's still higher and a cash offer, so we've backed out. :-( I just want to cry now, we've been looking for a year and that's the only house that's been right for us within budget.

Oh no, I'm gutted for you. The problem is that there is so little coming on the market that when it does, there is a bidding war. It was obviously priced to sell and therefore went for above asking.
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,899
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    kilby_007 wrote: »
    Well, the EA came back to us. Another higher offer is now on the table. We offered 5K more but they said it's still higher and a cash offer, so we've backed out. :-( I just want to cry now, we've been looking for a year and that's the only house that's been right for us within budget.

Sorry to hear that Kilby. Really hope something amazing comes up for you soon.
    x
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £67,390
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £612.94/£2000 Total OP’s: £8823.50
    SAVINGS: EF: £6423.55/£15,000
  • copperjar
    copperjar Posts: 884 Forumite
    Really sorry Kilby. Gutting for you. Hope something comes up soon that is even better. Hang in there!
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • kilby_007
    I don't feel like it will! We sold up a year ago, saved to get a decent deposit and rented so we didn't have a chain, yet we still get railroaded on price! I'm really hoping there's a decent price correction going into next year. There's another property we've seen with similar renovation potential but is nowhere near as good (less parking, smaller garden) and is 100K more (325K). 6 months on the market and they still haven't twigged that they're being ridiculous...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure