Asking previous employer for old job back

Pretty much as the title says, has anyone left Job A for Job B found out after a month or 2 Job B wasn't for you and you asked if you could get your old job back ?

Did you make the decision lightly or give it alot of thought ?

How was your return taken by your fellow colleagues ?

Im in the situation as the job title and to be honest the job isnt for me, id like to go back to previous employer but am concerned Id be considered a failure for going back.

I left for a job I thought would be something different which it is but Ive come to realise some aspects of the job aren't for me and as im new I cant exactly ask I avoid these aspects of the job, well I could but id be told where to go.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    First question is whether you feel you have really given the new job long enough to be sure of the decision that it's not for you? Most jobs have elements to them that we don't particularly enjoy.
    If you are certain that you don't want to stay then you really have nothing to lose by contacting your previous boss. It could be argued that you are actually taking positive action in acknowledging your mistake in leaving in the first place.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Has your old employer filled your position? Even if they did take you back you've likely lost any continuation of service which could impact the salary level they offer and pension status. Not to mention lack of security as a 'new starter'.

Unless you have contacts at the old company that will welcome you back I'd probably stick with it and if necessary look for a new job in a few months. Won't look great on your CV though.
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Depends very much on your relationship with your previous employer, if the position hasn't been filled I don't see why you shouldn't ask the question. I don't think anyone would consider you any kind of failure! You don't seem to be too concerned about whether they would have you back so I presume you left on very good terms.

I work with a lady who's been here for many years, she left for a while then returned. No problem whatsoever, the company were glad to welcome her back.
  • YouAsked
    YouAsked Posts: 97 Forumite
    Personally I wouldn't - but not because I shouldn't but because I'd let my embarrsssment rule me!

I know someone who did do this - and ended up in a bidding war!
    realised after 2 days job B wasn't for them,
    went back to job A and told them they'd be prepared to come back to a higher grade - job A agreed,
    handed notice in at job B
    job B gave some assurances about how things would develop so retracted notice
    Contacted job A, they offered even bigger promotion
    Went back to job A.
    Still there now - 15 years later

My nerves were shredded while all of this negotation was going on - thinking they'd end up with no job at all, but it worked out.

I will add though there was a bit of background there where job A had passed them over for promotion then asked they they train the person promoted and I think job A realised they'd made a mistake and it would take time/effort to replace those skills.

So generally speaking I'd say if you left on good terms and they haven't filled the vacancy there's every chance they might be glad of the opportunity to save on recruitment effort/costs. If you've got particulalry marketable skills/expertise then this will make it more likely.

No guarantees though and some employers will have very rigid policies where no matter how much they "liked" you, there is still a process which has to be followed.

Regarding colleagues...I genuinely don't think many people would care. Thinking about it, people I've worded with have come and gone and come again (sometimes with short gaps, sometime years later) and no-one seems to bat an eyelid. But this is probably related to how well thought of you were when you left!
  • DCFC79 wrote: »
    Pretty much as the title says, has anyone left Job A for Job B found out after a month or 2 Job B wasn't for you and you asked if you could get your old job back ?

Did you make the decision lightly or give it alot of thought ?

Im in the situation as the job title and to be honest the job isnt for me, id like to go back to previous employer but am concerned Id be considered a failure for going back.

I left for a job I thought would be something different which it is but Ive come to realise some aspects of the job aren't for me and as im new I cant exactly ask I avoid these aspects of the job, well I could but id be told where to go.

My employer loves to take good people back providing there is a role for them. It doesn't matter in the slightest to colleagues - they're normally relieved to get a trained person back.

We all know the grass greener rules.

And my employer can then say to people thinking of leaving, please consider it carefully because x left and then within a couple of months they were back.
  • w00519772
    w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    If you were a valued member of staff and the position is unfilled, then I would talk to your line manager. Do you have his/her email address/contact number? Are you friends/contacts on Facebook/LinkedIn? The worse they can say is no.

I have seen this happen before. Some people are embarrassed by it, however I think that moving jobs is a stressful experience and does not always work out, so I sympathise with you. I am no expert though - just my opinion. Good luck.
  • Did you make the decision lightly or give it alot of thought ?

Im in the situation as the job title and to be honest the job isnt for me, id like to go back to previous employer but am concerned Id be considered a failure .[/QUOTE]

Depends how you got on with colleagues.?

If your old boss would call you up before re-advertising - there is your indicator. But that maybe isn't the issue.

My heart skipped a beat after I only days ago saw a prev position readvertised only took 4 months but I could never return due to co workers still being very much the same.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    My employer loves to take good people back providing there is a role for them. It doesn't matter in the slightest to colleagues - they're normally relieved to get a trained person back.

We all know the grass greener rules.

And my employer can then say to people thinking of leaving, please consider it carefully because x left and then within a couple of months they were back.

^^^ This.

We have taken people back on if we hadn't replaced them and it's no big deal.

I'm talking from employer perspective not having done it myself. If your old company is looking for someone, far better they get someone they know and saves all that adverising and recruitment effort and money.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    From the employer's point of view it means they get a known commodity with the "benefit" of their employment rights having been reset to zero!

That said I certainly know of some employers who would seldom or never re-employ as a matter of policy. They take the view that employee has shown a lack of loyalty and indicated that they would really prefer to work elsewhere.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    This happened to me, but a long time ago now, and both jobs were long-term agency placements.

I went to job B which didn't work out - in fact my services were dispensed with (I only put it that was only because you can't technically fire an agency worker). The supervisor at job A then phoned me and said he'd heard things didn't work out and did I want to come back. Although I didn't really want to, there was nothing else much in the offing so come back I did.

It worked out well enough - I don't think anyone was much bothered by what I'd done, and second time around job A actually worked out fairly well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure