PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How to get over buyer's remorse?

Options

Comments

• Moonhead
    Moonhead Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 3 October 2016 at 4:26PM
    Options
    I felt the same and at times it drives my anxiety up the wall.

Thin walls, I can hear everything going on in my 1905 terrace, I naively thought the walls would be thicker with the age of the property. Also a distance from work but buying in Cheshire on your own isn't excactly possible unless you live in undesirable ares.

I now list all the positive things I can think of and look at that I'm lucky to have a property. Also that its a stepping stone to where I want to be.

The feeling is horrible but it slowly reduces I've found. I'm a year on out of potentially 5!

/edit

I just saw you are 20 min walk from happening areas. Get over it! I had to move from the center of it all to a 12 min train journey away to afford a property.
  • Soundgirlrocks
    Options
    How long have you been in? I had the same feeling when I moved into my flat,the first night was horrible, I had only one working light in the kitchen, no hot water (gas supply pipe had been nicked) I hadn't been able to clean it before I moved in so it felt dirty and my other half was working away so I was on my own. It took probably 2 months before I felt comfortable and probably 6 before it really felt like mine and home. Decorating if found really helped, there is a fantastic sense of ownership slapping paint on the walls.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    do something to give yourself a sense of community - book club, choir, harriers - you'll soon settle in
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    TBH it just sounds like you are dealing with the shock of moving into your first home. The mortgage ads always show people blissfully feeling at home from day one, but I think a lot really do struggle. It took me months to stop feeling weird and unsettled.
    That's the thing - before I completed I thought the location was the best bit about the flat. It's in a safe neighbourhood. No worries about walking home alone at night as a girl. Near a park. Up and coming as there are big plans for regeneration so in a few years it will look very different. I think it's a good investment. I wasn't even thinking that I wanted to be close to lots of things but now that I'm not, I miss it.

The regeneration bit is a really good sign. My flat was in a neglected area of a city when I bought it and I wasn't sure how much faith I had in the regeneration talk. But within the last year we have had new bus routes added to the area, a new cafe and deli has opened up around the corner, a performing arts centre has opened and a park is being built. A community group has now been set up and is absolutely thriving.

The thing with living in London is that most people who live there have to travel around a lot. Most people cannot afford to live near all the things they need. When I lived there I always had to got the bus/tube if I wanted to do a course or have a night out (unless it was just to the local pub). I think that is the norm. Whenever I did an adult ed course we would all be competing over how many tube stops we have travelled!
  • marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    Options
    Might i venture to say. You're just lonely.
  • MistyZ
    MistyZ Posts: 1,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Now it's all yours there's no obligation to do anything to it or even keep it tidy. So you could just make sure you've got the bare necessities to come back to & go out & party / generally have a good time. Homes are hard to come by, home owners are privileged ... but for all that they can feel like a millstone round our necks. You don't have to do the 'ideal home' thing, you could just enjoy the luxury of having it as a base while you get on with other aspects of your life.
  • nubbins
    nubbins Posts: 725 Forumite
    Options
    marksoton wrote: »
    Might i venture to say. You're just lonely.

and you are just a t1t
  • needhouseadvice
    Options
    MistyZ wrote: »
    Now it's all yours there's no obligation to do anything to it or even keep it tidy. So you could just make sure you've got the bare necessities to come back to & go out & party / generally have a good time. Homes are hard to come by, home owners are privileged ... but for all that they can feel like a millstone round our necks. You don't have to do the 'ideal home' thing, you could just enjoy the luxury of having it as a base while you get on with other aspects of your life.

I think that's what I'm going to do - the bare minimum to make it liveable and then try not to worry about it too much. I'll leave the proper refurb until next year.
  • needhouseadvice
    Options
    BBH123 wrote: »
    I know exactly how you feel OP.

I bought in London and had to buy based on my budget.

I ended up with a 3 bed ( well 2 bed and a box room ) new build terrace in East Finchley.

When I got the keys I sat in there and cried, I hated it, the rooms were odd rectangles with awful windows and it was totally horrible.

Anyway I had to get over this and realise it was a stepping stone and not forever.

So I decorated, bought my own things in and put my own stamp on it and 6mths later felt totally different about it.

It also realised a nice profit the next time I moved to something I really loved so it served its purpose.

How long did you stay there? Mine's a tiny 1 bed so not sure how much it'll rise in value although it is a short walk from a tube station.
  • needhouseadvice
    Options
    How long have you been in? I had the same feeling when I moved into my flat,the first night was horrible, I had only one working light in the kitchen, no hot water (gas supply pipe had been nicked) I hadn't been able to clean it before I moved in so it felt dirty and my other half was working away so I was on my own. It took probably 2 months before I felt comfortable and probably 6 before it really felt like mine and home. Decorating if found really helped, there is a fantastic sense of ownership slapping paint on the walls.

Just a few weeks. Have already planned a few decorating jobs with friends.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure