JISOFT - Alternative to Quicken / MS Money

Comments

• BarkingMad
    BarkingMad Posts: 56 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    colsten wrote: »

Not sure whether moving to another package will resolve you issues. 40MB sounds a heck of a lot of data, and MS Money is essentially just a glorified spreadsheet, as are AceMoney and Jiosoft or BankTree. I have 10+ years of data, and easily 200+ active and closed accounts, and the file is not even 1.2MB. Have you tried exporting and importing - may be it would free up some space?

Thanks colsten, my files are around 40Mb. I migrated from Quicken in 2004. I'll take a look at the file size.
  • BarkingMad
    Shedman wrote: »

Have you seen this link: http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/250.aspx as there may be some tips in there. Also have you run the repair function (on a saved copy of the file just to be safe) as that may help in case there are any oddities in your file that are creating the massive file size?

Shedman, thanks for the link. I will defintelty try the repair / archive options. I migrated from Quicken - so perhaps that has caused some side effects. The Quicken file was 3Mb at that point.
  • BarkingMad
    Shedman & Colsten,

I followed your links/advice but it didn't make much difference. Still a very large file. I've not exported / imported but googling gave some info on how to read the .mny file. The TRN table is transaction table and it is very big - 35278 rows and each row is not small.

I need to shell out some money to save the data above but it may be quicker than exporting each account one by one.

There were comments on google that the Money db structure wasn't that great and I think this may be why I'm suffering - when it closes and creates a backup copy.

Thanks for your help again.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Although 40MB is pretty big I'm not so sure it's the cause of your problems, I checked my own file and it's 14MB and Money works absolutely fine. Could you experiment by setting up a smaller file containing just a few of your accounts to see if the problems go away or are still present? There's a thread on the Techie board from someone who claims to be having issues on W10, although again that's fine for me.
  • BarkingMad
    Although 40MB is pretty big I'm not so sure it's the cause of your problems, I checked my own file and it's 14MB and Money works absolutely fine. Could you experiment by setting up a smaller file containing just a few of your accounts to see if the problems go away or are still present? There's a thread on the Techie board from someone who claims to be having issues on W10, although again that's fine for me.

Yes, I'll give it a go. Just running a report of all my transactions over all accounts which will be exported to CSV. I'll be able to identify the Top 5/10 accounts in terms of tranaction volumes.

Surpisingly the CSV export of around 35k transaction is 2.3mb, and when converted to XLS 1.5mb.

I wonder where all the other data iin the mny file is coming from! :(
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,581 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Although 40MB is pretty big I'm not so sure it's the cause of your problems, I checked my own file and it's 14MB and Money works absolutely fine.
    Completely agree. 40Mb is not a large file in the scale of things.

Maybe it would have been a problem back in 1999 but when standard PCs now have 4Gb or more of RAM then the whole file can be run from memory with virtually no difference in available RAM or performance.

OP - which version are you running? Might be worth upgrading to latest one if you don't already have it.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • BarkingMad
    OP - which version are you running? Might be worth upgrading to latest one if you don't already have it.

MS Money V12 from he "about" box. MS Money 2004 from the CD box.
    Although 40MB is pretty big I'm not so sure it's the cause of your problems, I checked my own file and it's 14MB and Money works absolutely fine. Could you experiment by setting up a smaller file containing just a few of your accounts to see if the problems go away or are still present?

OK, exported 5 largest accounts in terms of the number of transaction following https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/178830. I didn't create all the accounts with a zero balance but the import asked me to create. I imported two accounts, approx 24% (8218) of all my transactions. Money created new accounts when it recognised I had performed transfers.

The two QIF import files had a size of 533,297 bytes. The new mny file is 12,107,776 bytes. About 20 times bigger. Puzzled!?! :(
  • I have succesfully imported ten years of data from MS Money to Money Manager. The bank accounts section works well and the home page will always display the up-to-date balances. But the investments section will not display Market Value. It sems to have a mind of its own as to what information to show. This means that the reports it generates are useless. Has anyone aany ideas to correct this?
  • Jassy
    Jassy Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This refers to Jiosoft Money Manager

I bought this as a replacement for Quicken that I have been using for over 18 years through various versions and I woul dhave continued had Quicken continued support.

I imported all data well with no problems, easy to use, just what I needed as I have no complex accounts.

Reporting is poor.

A simple report I ran each time I received a statement and confirmed transactiosn as cleared in Quicken would balance exactly with statement,as they should. There is no way to do this in the Jiosoft s/w, in fact there is a real problem in that if you try to run a report on cleared only this flag is ignored. The only way I have found is to export all transactions and import in to Excel, run a very simple macro and confirm, or not, balance = statement.

Jiosoft said they would look to fix this. To my mind this is extremely important but get the impression it might hit the back burner.

If not for this I would thoroughly recomend for anyone who does not need too many whistles and bells.
  • Jassy
    Jassy Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Updated today. No improvement in reporting and in fact no idea what the update has done as there are no release notes.

So I have now tried to reconcile but whenever I choose a date to convert vleared to reconciled the s/w insists that it must make adjustments to the account yet everything is fine.

Problem is there are no instructions as to how reconcile works.

Begining to think I made a mistake buying this procuts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport