Loan after bankruptcy

Hi, I was wandering if someone could help/advise etc. I need a loan to purchase a car. However I had to declare bankruptcy nearly 2 and a half years ago so I am disch gybed and trying to build my credit rating back up. Can you recommend a company etc for a loan that's not going to cost the earth?? Please help

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    nazd wrote: »
    Hi, I was wandering if someone could help/advise etc. I need a loan to purchase a car. However I had to declare bankruptcy nearly 2 and a half years ago so I am disch gybed and trying to build my credit rating back up. Can you recommend a company etc for a loan that's not going to cost the earth?? Please help

A lender that costs the earth might be your only option.

Have you checked out the bankruptcy board ?

What is on your credit file ?

Whatever you do dont go searching for bad credit loans or alike a sthat wont help.
  • Only one company comes to mind AMIGO - oh but they require a guarantor. Would be much simpler and cheaper if the guarantor got a loan in their name and gave you the money.

Would I personally lend to you - would I 'eck.
  • BugsyBrowne
    BugsyBrowne Posts: 5,697 Forumite

I suppose after going BR I'm sure you'll most probably have a few quid in your pocket left over each month now but finding a company that's going to lend you any money is another thing..
  • droiderm
    droiderm Posts: 778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Forgetting about asking who can give you a loan , ask yourself do you really need one. I would be very careful about getting out any kind of large amount of credit.

How do you propose to pay for the loan?
    Can't you save for a few months and buy a really cheap car for the time being ?
  • alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Ignore the self-righteous responses from the ignorati.

The BAnkruptcy stays on your credit file [for what that's worth these days?]....for 6 years from date of BR.

For conventional loan applications this might prove a hindrance.

However, [thinking ahead for the moment] why not start up an account with a local Credit Union?

Also, many car dealers are more interested in getting customers onto credit payments [rather than selling the car]...so a dealer might be worth investigating?
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • nazd
    nazd Posts: 11 Forumite
    Aha thanks for the advice people
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills