Claiming back utilities costs

Hello everyone,
I am due to start working for an American company, who will be me my salary as a gross fee. It is my responsibility to then save and pay the tax and national insurance contributions. I will be working from home and wanted to know what I am able to claim back against my tax, in terms of household bills?
I will be employed by the company, not working as self-employed.
Thanks as always,
Tipsy

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am due to start working for an American company, who will be me my salary as a gross fee. It is my responsibility to then save and pay the tax and national insurance contributions.

I will be employed by the company, not working as self-employed.
    Are you really sure about that? The first statement contradicts that assumption.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    If you are employed by them then it would be up to them to deduct tax and Nic.

You'll need to ensure you employment status is correct before anything else.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This link will be useful for you:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/gds/nic/work/embassy.htm

When you contact your local tax office then you can ask about allowances for utilities.
  • Unforeseen and Darksparkle - There is no UK based office (I will be working from home) and, I believe, this is a fairly standard payment setup?
    Penitent - I will ask the question in the cutting tax section of the site, just in case anyone can add to pmlindyloo's comment. Although, this is really what I was looking for, so thank you!
  • I'm moving this thread so you might get a better response OP to "cutting tax" forum
  • If you are employed by them then it would be up to them to deduct tax and Nic.

You'll need to ensure you employment status is correct before anything else.

It is possible for OP to be employed but also responsible for handling tax and NI deductions. If an employer has no U.K. presence then I believe the individual can set up their own PAYE scheme. I don’t think employer NIC are due in this case.

As far as working from home expenses, as you clearly have to work from home then I believe you can claim up to £4/week in tax relief without any evidence of additional costs, or the additional costs of any utilities like electricity and heating etc. if higher but you must keep evidence of how you calculated this. You cannot claim a proportion of any fixed costs.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 February 2018 at 1:46AM
    precisely as cyclingprogrammer says

- with no UK base, perfectly "normal" for an employee to be accountable for operating own PAYE (income tax and NI) when working for an overseas company, set up a DPNI scheme
    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/paye-manual/paye20100

- as an employee you can claim £4 per week as an allowance for "working from home". In a brilliant bit of HMRC maths, the monthly rate is £18, so always claim the monthly rate, not the weekly rate. This flat rate expense is a no questions asked amount.

if you wish to claim more than £18/mth you will need to keep full records justifying the amount you claim

Also as mentioned, the principle is you can only claim additional costs caused by your working at home, you cannot apportion existing/fixed costs such as mortgage since that is not increased by you working at home

rules:
    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/employment-income-manual/eim32810
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family