Unfairly Dismissed?

I was told today that my current role is "at risk of redundancy". I have a consultation meeting booked for next week.

There are currently two people doing my current job role (myself and a colleague). My colleague also performs another role (effectively he splits his time between both roles).
As part of my meeting today i was given a description for a new job role in which we can both apply for. This has basically been written especially for my colleague, and there is no way I can get it due to not having experience in the second role my colleague does.

It feels very much like i'm being forced out as its obvious only my colleague will meet the requirements. It obviously feels unfair, but would this be classed as being forced out or unfairly dismissed?
Thanks.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No, it sounds like legitimate redundancy.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It will be a fair redundancy if all they need is one position doing the split role, and don't need the extra person devoting all their time to the role that you're doing. Take the personal aspect out of who is doing what out out of it; the question is how many people do they need doing what role.

You're doing 1 lot of role A and your colleague is doing 0.5 role A and 0.5 role B. If the company decides that they don't need 1.5 role A + 0.5 role B, they need it to be more 50/50 then it will be fair to amalgamate the roles and give you both a fair crack at it.

If that is the case then they're doing the right thing in allowing you to apply for it and giving you a fair go.

It's unfortunate for you but the best that you can do is get looking for other things, and apply for this new job and see what happens.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure