The Big Adventure

Comments

• katep23
    katep23 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hearing about your decluttering is very motivating!
  • Well done on the glasses bargain. You are almost exactly one year older than me, I hadn't realised quite how early you had retired, well done again!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Well done on the glasses bargain. You are almost exactly one year older than me, I hadn't realised quite how early you had retired, well done again!

Mr Goldie is eight years older than me - if he was nearer my age, I don't think we'd have been able to stop work completely at this point. His state pension is only 18 months away, so we have the prospect of increasing the household income at that time. Otherwise, I think it would be difficult to do all the things we want to do if we had our current level of income for several years.
    katep23 wrote: »
    Hearing about your decluttering is very motivating!

I'm glad I'm motivating people - my own motivation is to get it all done as soon as I can, so I can stop and not have to think about it anymore.

It has been a good day today. We had a walk, then I've been rummaging in wardrobes, in the hope of more de-cluttering. I've re-discovered some clothes which I'll start wearing, I've got a pile for eBay, and a couple of jackets and a few tops have gone to charity

Tomorrow, I intend to go through a chest of drawers and another wardrobe. I think there'll be several candidates for eBaying. But I'm not going to rush things like I did a couple of weeks ago, I still haven't got over all that listing!

Although it has paid off - I've raised nearly £90 (net) on things that we basically regarded as junk.

Last year I was waffling about my theories for the best days to sell jigsaws on eBay. I thought that Thursday evening was the best time - good puzzles were selling for £7.00 on Thursdays, whereas my Sunday afternoon auctions were achieving about £5.50 max.

At the start of the year I invested in a few newly released jigsaws for £12.99 including p&p.

I've immediately sold them after doing them, ending the auction on a Thursday evening. I achieved sale prices of £9.00 and £8.60, not including p&p. So I'm almost getting my money back (apart from fees of course). I'm delighted with these prices. I have another one finishing tonight, so it'd be interesting to see where that one ends up.

I made a beef, chick pea and apricot tagine for dinner this evening - another recipe to keep.

De-cluttering total up to 133
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • katep23
    katep23 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    I made a beef, chick pea and apricot tagine for dinner this evening - another recipe to

(Almost) snap, made chicken, chick pea and raisin tagine in the slow cooker - not quite so well received though! I thought it was nice but OH mentioned something about tasting like melted plastic :rotfl:
  • Goldiegirl
    katep23 wrote: »
    (Almost) snap, made chicken, chick pea and raisin tagine in the slow cooker - not quite so well received though! I thought it was nice but OH mentioned something about tasting like melted plastic :rotfl:

That sounds really nice - I bet it didn't taste like melted plastic at all! :rotfl:

I've been rummaging in wardrobes and drawers, and have found some more things to eBay plus a few bits and pieces for charity or recycling. I've also taken the opportunity to declutter several pieces of soap, originally placed in drawers to make them smell nice. They must have been in there for 25 years.... and now have no smell at all!

I've found several things that will be great to wear around the house and pottering around locally. Also, I can now see the 'gaps' in my wardrobe, so I'll know what to buy in the upcoming months

As a result of todays activity, the de-cluttering total has risen to 142. It'll increase again when I've sold the things to go on eBay, but I'm not going to push myself with this, just do some when I'm in the mood.

I had an email from the Royal Mail Surveys. I've been put on hold for a few weeks as they are over subscribed. I feel a bit frustrated about that, as I've been really careful to do it right throughout the training period. On the other hand, it'll be nice to have a break, as it is a bit of a pain!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You sound really focussed, Goldie, its great :) I must say, until I started seeing what you were doing, I sort of ignored my clothes, and just wore a few standards - which meant I had loads of stuff that was inappropriate ... I've got a pile now to go to the charity shop, which is heading that way on Monday, I think.

Hope you're having a nice weekend.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Karmacat wrote: »
    YI sort of ignored my clothes, and just wore a few standards - which meant I had loads of stuff that was inappropriate ...
    My mind is boggling :rotfl:
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Goldiegirl
    gallygirl wrote: »
    My mind is boggling :rotfl:

That link doesn't seem to work for me...... maybe it's just as well!
    :rotfl:
    Karmacat wrote: »
    You sound really focussed, Goldie, its great :) I must say, until I started seeing what you were doing, I sort of ignored my clothes, and just wore a few standards - which meant I had loads of stuff that was inappropriate ... I've got a pile now to go to the charity shop, which is heading that way on Monday, I think.

Hope you're having a nice weekend.

it was brilliant, doing the wardrobe de-clutter - I really enjoyed it. I was very guilty of wearing just a few standard clothes, and I'd forgotten about lots of things. Today I made the effort to wear some of the rediscovered things.

Today I've been doing the less enjoyable task of preparing eBay listings. I've read that there is going to be a free listing day tomorrow, with the added bonus of 20% off the final value fee. It's for selected people only, so I hope I'll be selected. I've been preparing the nicest clothes for listing, which I'd hope to go for a reasonable price, so it'd be good to get some money off the FVF.

On the subject of eBay, I was waffling about the joys of jigsaw auctions ending on Thursday nights. Last Thursday's auction ended at the rather disappointing amount of £5.50, so I think my theory has been blown out of the water. The winner hasn't paid yet, and now I'm rather hoping they don't pay at all, so I can re-list and have another go at it.

One item de-cluttered today

143) socket set - sold on eBay
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Gally's link didn't work for me either, but it was an interesting page anyway :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

My sartorial inappropriateness :D is incredibly boring compared to what Gally was probably thinking :p
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    15-913818703.jpg

You asked for it :)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback