Beware - People's Postcode Lottery!

Comments

• I've just cancelled my PPL account and that was a pain in the cheeks! Not very straight forward. I've actually given up on all lottery altogether. Postcode had 4 months
    worth out of me and not a sniff lol. I've played all the lottery style games. Good luck to those who win! Just like you may live to a 100 or you may not. Who knows, and who cares. Save your money and spend it on real things that exist! lol
  • MamaMoo_2
    MamaMoo_2 Posts: 2,644 Forumite
    Having watched 3 of my mom's neighbours win over £7k, one win over £14k, and one win over £40k earlier this year (and those are just the people we know, over 100 of her neighbours won between £7k-£400k) I've signed up just on the off chance, as my mom's gutted she missed out.
    But having known actual winners, I can say it's definitely not a scam and the money was paid out fairly quickly. x
  • MamaMoo_2
    JonnyThom wrote: »
    Lottery is haraam guys, you never win

This forum is not the place for religious judgement...
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    My Mom asked me tonight if I play it and she has written down the number to ring them tomorrow. Apparently someone she knows won £14K recently.

I was thinking about playing it, but not so sure now after reading this thread.

Oh well, it's up to her what she does with her money.
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • MamaMoo_2
    My Mom asked me tonight if I play it and she has written down the number to ring them tomorrow. Apparently someone she knows won £14K recently.

I was thinking about playing it, but not so sure now after reading this thread.

Oh well, it's up to her what she does with her money.

Sounds about right if she knows someone who lives in/around Castle Bromwich, as they won the last major one. :)
  • newsonppl
    newsonppl Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 23 April 2014 at 5:05PM
    1. It is owned by Novamedia - a Dutch media company who made it's fortune in print media
    2. It is not a scam per se but it is not straight forward
    3. Basically all lotteries must give to charity in order to operate within UK laws so when they play the whole 'it's a charity' or 'it's for charity' it's because they must do this
    4. They do not give more than any other lottery to charity in fact last time I checked they give less than the national lottery in terms of proportion of ticket price
    5. UK law prohibits them from giving more than £250,000 per winning ticket so it will NEVER make you a millionaire although they constantly advertise a prize pot of £2.5 million etc
    6. Board members and top management get paid the same board level salaries you'd expect at any company so the last £10 they take off a person on the bread line goes straight into the pocket of a high earning board member or top level manager
    7. They employ 'hard sales' techniques such as cold calling and heavy rotation TV advertising, both take place during the day so to me this looks like it is designed to pick off the unemployed and more vulnerable members of society
    8. Question everything - if you do this lottery make sure that you know exactly what you're signing up for. Question their rules and regulations if it sounds off, contact the Gambling commission
    9. As mentioned in other posts they have fallen foul of asa and other bodies in the past so ask yourself if this is a company that you want to align yourself with

Now you have some facts I hope that helps
  • newsonppl
    edited 23 April 2014 at 5:03PM
    The lottery originally started in Scotland, therefore they have historically had more Scottish playing postcodes. This is likely not the case any more. The reason so many won previously is likely because they did not proportionally weight the draw meaning that more Scottish postcodes were winning because more were participating. They will only enter playing postcodes I can imagine. This is just my best guess. If that is the case then questions need to be asked about the fairness of the draw process
  • newsonppl
    edited 23 April 2014 at 5:06PM
    Also quick National Lottery vs Postcode lottery comparison:

National Lottery give 40% of the ticket price to charity, the postcode lottery only gives 20% last time I checked.

You are limited on winnings with Postcode Lottery - max prize per ticket of £250k, National Lottery has no limit on winnings

They are both Lotteries - ask the Postcode Lottery what their odds are. Last time I checked they were not aware of what their odds are and were elusive on this, at least National Lottery can tell you that

Think about the way the two advertise and ask yourself if you want to give money to an organisation that cold calls the public, likely to include the elderly and disabled
  • fatpiggy
    fatpiggy Posts: 388 Forumite
    Its a lottery - a gamble. You should only gamble as much as you can afford and certainly not EXPECT to win anything at all. Save your money in a piggy bank and you are guaranteed to have something to spend at the end of the year. The only lottery I do is the freepostcode lottery. Costs me nothing and I haven't won anything either.
  • MamaMoo wrote: »
    Having watched 3 of my mom's neighbours win over £7k, one win over £14k, and one win over £40k earlier this year (and those are just the people we know, over 100 of her neighbours won between £7k-£400k) I've signed up just on the off chance, as my mom's gutted she missed out.
    But having known actual winners, I can say it's definitely not a scam and the money was paid out fairly quickly. x

How long have you worked for the Post Code Lottery ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback