Password reset questions and feedback

Comments

• jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    quoia wrote: »
    Indeed I spotted a typo of important significance in one of them and pointed it out to him.
    He thanked me for my feedback and corrected it.
    And I've had similar experience occasionally. He's highly capable and usually right but retains the humility to recognise that occasionally he won't be and to act on that when it happens. A great combination!
  • quoia wrote: »
    Shows how much you know ...

Does that mean he has bought back the site? No.

Does that mean that he has any influence on the day-to-day running of this site? No

Does that mean that he will be concerned about password re-sets and Spam? No.

Does that mean I know nothing about his activities? No.
    quoia wrote: »
    Made several forum posts last year.
    Does that mean that he's paid a generous retainer for use of his image, name and the occasional forum post?
    I dunno :p

Any links?
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    You may think that but I disagree.
    The forum I'm thinking specifically of is Tripadvisor.
    The boards I mainly used to look at when regular spam was a big issue were Air Travel and India.
    It wasn't unusual to log on in the morning and see - literally- hundreds of rubbish threads (about dross such as love doctors and the like).
    One forum which I used to use was virtually taken over by 'sex' spam. When I logged in, it seemed to be 90% that and eventually I just gave up. I suppose I might have persisted if the forum wasn't fairly peripheral to my needs. What does bug me is I am a member of a health site and occasionally you get a (dodgy) response to a post you made offering a cure/solution for your issue! I sometimes wonder if anyone is taken in by that sort of thing.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 18 February 2018 at 12:33PM
    pineapple wrote: »
    One forum which I used to use was virtually taken over by 'sex' spam. When I logged in, it seemed to be 90% that and eventually I just gave up. I suppose I might have persisted if the forum wasn't fairly peripheral to my needs. What does bug me is I am a member of a health site and occasionally you get a (dodgy) response to a post you made offering a cure/solution for your issue! I sometimes wonder if anyone is taken in by that sort of thing.
    If the spam was so bad you just gave up, doesn't that contradict this:
    Am I the only one who isn't bothered by spam? Usually it's pretty obvious and I just ignore. I can't honestly claim my day has been traumatised by it. ;)
    I find frequent password changes more irritating and those 'click on the image' captcha things to be the work of the devil. I have to go and get my glasses but I still never know whether 'click on the road sign' means bits of the pole showing in various segments or the corner of a car counts as a car or whether it's a store front or a garage lock up and if the latter, does it count? Etc etc.... Sometimes I get it wrong and find myself endlessly clicking through images. Perhaps I am 'not a real person' :(
    Anybody who weeds out the carp threads/posts before I even see it has my thanks.
  • Pollycat wrote: »
    Anybody who weeds out the carp threads/posts before I even see it has my thanks.
    Look at the rest of this section of the forum and you will see that there is an anti-spam thread created by ordinary posters every day so that the (frequent) offending posts can be easily and quickly zapped.

I'm surprised that neither of you have seen the occasions when spammers have posted massively across every board of the forum at the same time, but I guess that might be because you've been fortunate enough to only visit at times when it is less likely that such activity is allowed to continue for very long. "Presumptuous" or not, I think that's the only explanation.;)
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I was going to post a new thread, about comments on why a captcha is needed.

But I can't, because a captcha is needed.

And the captcha image is blank

Let's see if this works instead (attempt 7

Edit: well, if others are also having this issue there might be a drop off in activity here.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    edited 20 February 2018 at 2:22PM
    Pollycat wrote: »
    If the spam was so bad you just gave up, doesn't that contradict this:
    Moderate amounts of spam like two or three instances in a thread don't bother me. Apart from where it is directed as a response to an individual as in 'My wonder pills will do wonders for your dodgy back. Click here to get some'. Otherwise spam only irritates if it constitutes a large percentage of posts. My apologies if this seems illogical to your good self :dance:
  • pineapple wrote: »
    Moderate amounts of spam like two or three instances in a thread don't bother me.
    Two or three instances in a thread with three replies would definitely not be "moderate" though, so it's all relative. ;)

As I've ("presumptuously") said several times now, it's likely that you are only saying that the Spam doesn't bother you because you've yet to experience a flood of Spam on this site with every board of the forum having the latest post being from the spammer(s). This has happened several times and is why the forum, admin are so concerned about it.

Even more irritating is that it's usually absolute rubbish aimed at the American market rather than here, as well as offering illegally obtained passports etc

Anyway, I think this thread has rather run out of steam now that the proposed 90 day password reset has been rescinded.
  • pineapple wrote: »
    Am I the only one who isn't bothered by spam? Usually it's pretty obvious and I just ignore. I can't honestly claim my day has been traumatised by it. ;)
    I find frequent password changes more irritating and those 'click on the image' captcha things to be the work of the devil. I have to go and get my glasses but I still never know whether 'click on the road sign' means bits of the pole showing in various segments or the corner of a car counts as a car or whether it's a store front or a garage lock up and if the latter, does it count? Etc etc.... Sometimes I get it wrong and find myself endlessly clicking through images. Perhaps I am 'not a real person' :(

It can make a forum unusable if it gets out of control. Much like the Tested forum (look them up on YouTube). Their forum is a mess as its just full of spam.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Moderate amounts of spam like two or three instances in a thread don't bother me. Apart from where it is directed as a response to an individual as in 'My wonder pills will do wonders for your dodgy back. Click here to get some'. Otherwise spam only irritates if it constitutes a large percentage of posts. My apologies if this seems illogical to your good self :dance:
    I believe the spam that was being discussed was pages and pages of it - and threads, not just 'two or three posts in a thread.

Perhaps if you don't say something doesn't bother you then say you left a forum because of it, that will avoid your posts being considered 'illogical'.

Just a thought. :whistle:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport