PPI reclaim

Hi, I took out a 10 year fixed mortgage 9 years ago with Cheltenham & Gloucester through my local Lloyds bank and was told at the time I needed a payment protection policy to cover the mortgage payments. I was also told I didn't have to take out the policy the bank where offering I could sort my own out from another lender which I did as the monthly payments were cheaper. Can advise as to was I " misold" or misadvised" regarding the PPI policy and if so who would be my first contact as there are 3 company's involved,Lloyd's, Cheltenham and the PPI company?
Thank you in advance,Chris

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Can advise as to was I " misold" or misadvised" regarding the PPI policy

As you did not buy through C&G, they have no liability for any product you bought through a different retailer.

You may well have had a financial need. Need is a term used when you have a financial shortfall. So, the need word may have been in respect of financial need rather than a requirement to get the mortgage. Clearly, as they allowed you to buy elsewhere, it was not a requirement to get a mortgage.
    and if so who would be my first contact as there are 3 company's involved,Lloyd's, Cheltenham and the PPI company?

C&G are now part of TSB and have no liability for historic stuff. Lloyds have liability for historic C&G stuff. However, as it was not bought via C&G, they have not sold you anything and you cant complain about it to them (it would be like complaining to Tesco about something you bought in ASDA).

The PPI company has no liability as they just provide the product you bought.
    This is somewhat similar to the endowment days. Which? (The Consumers Association) used to recommend Std Life endowments as a best buy and encouraged people to buy direct. If you followed their advice, you lost the ability to complain years later as you went direct.

When you DIY and buy direct, you lose an element of consumer protection. i.e. the ability to complain about buying the product.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure