PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New Build - Harron Homes

Options
Hi all,

I have found a lovely house i am wanting to buy called 'the settle' from harron homes, the development are selling the home at £294995 which i thinks a decent price as the development near me atm is selling the same home diff area for £369000

Has anyone had any experience with harron homes and purchasing etc, i havent yet sat down to barter yet, i know i said its a good price but always after a bargain.

When i had a quick chat the lady said the houses are selling themselves. But at xmas they had a deal on two of these houses for 269995.. they were built roof on etc.

Basically all im asking is if you have had a new build what deal did you get, i hear they normally keep price same but throw in freebies into the house

Would love to hear your experiences and deals

Thanks alot

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    axel132132 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have found a lovely house i am wanting to buy called 'the settle' from harron homes, the development are selling the home at £294995 which i thinks a decent price as the development near me atm is selling the same home diff area for £369000

Has anyone had any experience with harron homes and purchasing etc, i havent yet sat down to barter yet, i know i said its a good price but always after a bargain.

When i had a quick chat the lady said the houses are selling themselves. But at xmas they had a deal on two of these houses for 269995.. they were built roof on etc.

Basically all im asking is if you have had a new build what deal did you get, i hear they normally keep price same but throw in freebies into the house

Would love to hear your experiences and deals

Thanks alot

It won't be a good price, you'll just be in an area worth £75k less
  • axel132132
    Options
    Yes i understand that, but for that house it is a good price
  • do163600
    Options
    I gather that they put really fancy fittings in their show houses, but cheap nasty ones in the rest, unless you pay lots to 'upgrade'. They also fit the bare minimum of sockets, allegedly, so you need to pay more for extras.

Try googling 'harron homes reviews'.

I don't know how easy it would be to barter with them.

I did look at buying a part-ex from them once, but they put the completion date back about five months, and I felt it was likely to happen again nearer the time, so I pulled out of the deal.
  • daz_79
    daz_79 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Most developers have scope to offer up to 5% of the purchase price in incentives but very few will tell you this. The incentives could include paying your stamp duty, legal fees etc or fittings in the property itself. I am currently in the process of buying a new build and to start with had to haggle quite hard for just incentives totalling 4K. Since my buyer pulled out and I had to put my property back on the market and cancel my reservation they have since become very forthcoming in offering help so that I can sell my house and reserve their property again. In order to reduce my asking price for a quicker sale they are going to cover a lot of the extras I was originally going to have to pay for myself. Good news is that most mortgage providers allow upto 5% in incentives as well. Good luck.
    Darren :beer:
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just be wary if using Help to Buy as this may limit the amount of incentives a mortgage lender will accept.
  • axel132132
    Options
    Thanks, with regards to the extras ill try my best

Think ill post on here if it happens with a new build review what i got etc to help people in the future

Cheers
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    axel132132 wrote: »
    Yes i understand that, but for that house it is a good price

It is the maximum price that the builder can sell the house for in an undesirable area. More people want to pay to live in desirable areas so they will pay the more expensive price. Fewer people want to live in the area of the cheaper priced house so they will sell it cheaper. When you come to sell you will also have to sell it cheaply because there will be fewer people who want to live in the area you are buying it in. You also have to remember that the land the house is on will be more expensive in a more desirable area.

Relatively expensive new houses in undesirable areas are more likely to drop in value than new houses in desirable areas.
  • RP5
    RP5 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi, I realise this post is quite old, but thought I’d add my experience as it’s still relevant for those searching for customer experience in Harron Homes.

Overall their customer service is non-existent and once they have your money they don’t seem interested in fixing snagging lists or major problems.

The house you purchase is somewhat different to the showhome (upgrades aside). They cut corners and further into the estate you go the more it becomes obvious. For example, you lose design features such as art stone windowsills on bay windows, air vents for the roof disappear, poor pointing and damaged bricks are used.

Don’t be fooled by their ‘Quality Guarantee’ they don’t deliver on it and I’m still fighting 18 months on.

BUYER BEWARE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport