PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 June 2017 at 8:04AM
    I probably need to plan an 8am to 9am "raid" on shops. As early as possible for the closest shops, then just after 9am for those on commuter routes to avoid the traffic.

Choc ices, fizzy pop .... and I think a quiche would go down a treat. Stock up so I don't end up sweaty, with tap water and nothing tasty to eat.

Yesterday I quite fancied a burger in a bread roll... so maybe some bread rolls and a pack of burgers.

EDIT: 8.05am and I've made a list, intending to go to 4sda (16 mile round trip) ...but now it's warming up .... and I've not made a start ....and ....meh ...do you think I'll do it? Not sure.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 20 June 2017 at 6:43AM
    23.5C here at the moment in the house. Cool outside right now - but a sort of refreshing cool. Can tell its going to be another hot day. Thankfully no hanging round on workmen doing things today - some weeks before it's next tranche of work to be done - so I think I'll probably head for the coast.

I know what you mean re comment about being wary of opening windows because of it being a bungalow (as mine is). Thankfully - it's a pretty safe location I'm in in a variety of ways - so I'm prepared to open most windows (provided I'm up). This is where I wish previous owners of house had done the windows the way I would have - which would include being able to open every bit of window (rather than just 1-2 side windows and 1-2 small top windows - but much of the window is a big pane of glass that can't be opened). I'm just not prepared to go to that extra hassle/expense to swop to those - unless I ever find I have to replace a window anyway (in which case - full window opening it is).

Just checked outside temperature projected - sounds about ideal for me - at mid-20sC. I find I start wilting and wanting to know where cold drinks/fans or air conditioning etc are when outdoor temperature is 30C plus. Maybe that's partly down to a bit of time living in hot climates as a child. Crikey - just checked my Home City and it's going to be several degrees extra there- I think I might find that a bit hot....

EDIT; That's had me googling around - 18C in Edinburgh! 20C in York! I knew I didn't want to move north - I'd even be cold to standard in height of summer personally.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I probably need to plan an 8am to 9am "raid" on shops. As early as possible for the closest shops, then just after 9am for those on commuter routes to avoid the traffic.

Choc ices, fizzy pop .... and I think a quiche would go down a treat. Stock up so I don't end up sweaty, with tap water and nothing tasty to eat.

Yesterday I quite fancied a burger in a bread roll... so maybe some bread rolls and a pack of burgers.
    I'm off out to the shops now same as you. I'm even going for much the same things :)
    Hope we both get back home before it's too hot!
  • PasturesNew
    edited 20 June 2017 at 8:18AM
    I'm off out to the shops now same as you. I'm even going for much the same things :)
    Hope we both get back home before it's too hot!

I'm too undecided... I've got a list in two columns, one means "buy" the other means "look at/check out".

On it so far are: chocolate spread, 83p quiche, grapes, squash drink, 49p scones, pineapple/coconut fruit juice, quarterpounder burgers, veggie burgers, onions. 2nd shop: bread rolls and choc ices. 3rd shop: fizzy pop.

And to look at: pitta, cheesecake, crab pate.

The trouble I have is that when I put an item on the list I then start pontificating about whether I could/should make it myself (and then to which recipe/ingredients) ... and I "get stuck" with indecision and uncertainty. e.g. that quiche..... I could just knock one up, or a crustless one (save calories) ... but it's only 83p and if I buy it, then it's there/available/instant....

Also - the overall volume issues.... I could add more things, but the more you buy, the more you have to "get through before it goes off" :) So a lot never makes the list, even though I fancy/want it.

I also wonder about taking the hit of higher prices to reduce the number of shops, but there's a "round robin" route I can take.

I need to just DO this ... rather than sitting here, refreshing, "in case" somebody replies ... and time passes ... and then it's too late/hot/etc.

I'm off! Bye.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

The trouble I have is that when I put an item on the list I then start pontificating about whether I could/should make it myself (and then to which recipe/ingredients) ... and I "get stuck" with indecision and uncertainty. e.g. that quiche..... I could just knock one up, or a crustless one (save calories) ... but it's only 83p and if I buy it, then it's there/available/instant....

I'm off! Bye.

Hope you got off ok :)

I know what you mean about you could make it yourself. I could/should/usually do make most of what I have bought this morning myself, but I just can't face the heat that having the cooker on would create at the moment. The forecast is for it to stay this hot here at least until Sunday and I'm already feeling ill because of it.

I bought, a couple of quiches, sausage rolls, mini pork pies, some scones, two cheesecake slices, and topped up the salad/fruit. Then got some choc ices.

I am just going to have picky meals and sandwiches for a few days. That's all I fancy eating at the moment.

Hopefully this will last me for a few days.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 20 June 2017 at 12:22PM
    Hope you got off ok :)

I bought, a couple of quiches, sausage rolls, mini pork pies, some scones, two cheesecake slices, and topped up the salad/fruit. Then got some choc ices.

I am just going to have picky meals and sandwiches for a few days. That's all I fancy eating at the moment.
    Yes, I went and I'm back. Three shops, £8, £12 and £8 spends.

Phew, what a scorcher, as they say.

I do envy you your "couple of quiches" because as I was waiting for the PC to fire up I thought "should've got two". I also envy you your sausage rolls.... because I didn't get any. I am not a fan of any pork pies. I looked at scones, but the shop didn't have the cheap ones, so I didn't get any. Cheesecake slices sound nice. I had "look at cheesecakes" on my list, but I'd lost the will to live by then!

I've bought a random selection of foods.

Shop 1/4ldi - I walked. Got the big bread rolls I like (intended for burgers), TWO packs of 8 choc ices (so I didn't run out), a bottle of Summer Fruits squash drink and some frozen lamb mince (cheaper than the fresh) which I bought to make kebabs with. Pint of milk, intended to make crustless quiches with, one red pepper (39p/one of this week's offer items), big bag of red onions and a big punnet of grapes (annoyed a bit later as 4sda were cheaper). I figured the onions and pepper and milk will make a quiche .... if I CBA.

Shop 2/4sda I got: 3 litres of fruit juice, an 83p quiche, a 50p pasty, 4 frozen burgers, 18 packets of crisps (multibuy/cheaper/can only get those from 4sda), two jars of choccy spread, some pitta breads for those kebabs .... and some other more mundane/boring things.

Shop 3 I only went in to get fizzy pop at a good price - walked out with 30 cans.

So, overall, I've lots of different/varied food that can be picked from at random ....

On the way back the car thermometer said 35C, the garden/in the shade thermometer said 35C and indoors here (kept the curtains shut while I was out) it's 26C.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good afternoon,

My thoughts are with everyone struggling in the heat, it's lovely here forecasted to reach 20C but there's a nice breeze so very pleasant. Rain coming back from tomorrow though:(.

Today is the first day in about ten days that I've not felt really off-balance so I'm hoping this bout is eroding and I'll "just" be back at my usual level of dizzy/falling over :). Consequently I've had a productive morning, sorted out a new mobile for my Dad as his has died, ordered more steak as it was on SO (£10 for 2kg) of rump steak :D and also some venison and did some other on-line adminy bits. I'm going to take a whole duck out of the freezer (SO in Lidl around Christma)to make room and will portion that roast the legs and sous vide the breasts so they can be re-frozen. The carcass will make lovely stock for noodle dishes.:) Breakfast was the usual toast with cheese spread, 2 small flat peaches and the last of the tomato juice. Lunch was crackers with hard boiled egg, coleslaw, rocket and radishes. The radishes have all been scoffed, I've been nibbling at them since they were picked and I gave some to my Dad. Tonight I'm having the pork cheek chilli with either pitta or rice.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 20 June 2017 at 2:05PM
    I've faffed with the food stocks so I've got "instant food to eat" in the fridge.

I've sliced the quiche, made a coleslaw, made a spud salad, grated a lot of cheese.... I was tempted to slice the red pepper, but ran out of steam.

I've also got salad tomatoes I bought the other day and I've eggs I can boil at the drop of a hat. I've got bread, bread rolls, pitta breads. I've got more crisps than are necessary.

I've got fruit juices and fruit squash that can make lollies; I've got tins of fruit and jellies and custard and dream whip so I could make trifles (won't though, but I could!).... and I've got 16 choc ices.

So I've options ... of things that could go together on a plate .... and I won't go hungry :)

So much food one could buy, so many variations of what to put on a plate, it's overwhelming most of the time.

Today I've eaten an egg/salad cream sandwich earlier ... and a packet of crisps since I got back from the shops.

I did bother to do all the washing up, which is a good thing :)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Just had one of the nicer trolley adventures. I had sorted a lot of clothes to go to charity shop but couldn't face going all that way on bus in this heat but wanted it out of way. I decided to just walk down to the colletion skip for the Salvation army that's on Asda Carpark.

So coming back up the hill with, what must be a first for me, an empty trolley met a distraught young Mum with a laden pushchair an empty bag in her hand and shopping all over the floor. Loaded it all up and walked with her to her house, quite near to me. Had a chat and a cup of tea and a lovely cuddle of the baby, a gorgeous 14 month old. Quite made my day.
    Slimming World at target
  • PasturesNew
    meg72 wrote: »
    Loaded it all up ....a cup of tea and a lovely cuddle of the baby, a gorgeous 14 month old. Quite made my day.
    Blimey .... I'd have done the same, but I'd have left her at the door .... I "don't do" "stickies" :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure