Breaking Through, Travelling On

Comments

• DedicatedDFW
    DedicatedDFW Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Hi KC - had a quick peek and it looks absolutely lovely where your apartment is *le sigh* - do you rent it out now did you say?

Sounds like a fab weekend planned - enjoy x
    CC1:T £[STRIKE]2531[/STRIKE] £1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: £10575.20 Target £12,100
    MF Date: [STRIKE]August 2042[/STRIKE] May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Oh KC - what a beautiful place your French apartment is in.

Do you rent it out? So close to Geneva & Italy - what a great location!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 5 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • It's like old times around here lately :D

:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi KC - had a quick peek and it looks absolutely lovely where your apartment is *le sigh* - do you rent it out now did you say?

Sounds like a fab weekend planned - enjoy x
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    Oh KC - what a beautiful place your French apartment is in.

Do you rent it out? So close to Geneva & Italy - what a great location!

Thank you! Yep, I rent it out - I get a very slightly higher rental income (still doesn't cover the mortgage :eek:) because I don't stay there. Eventually, when the leaseback scheme is ended (VAT free purchase, funded by the French government to ensure more holiday homes were built) I'll be able to stay there when I choose :j

Well, I had a lovely evening yesterday :beer: I was a bit worried about the trip back, there've been cancelled trains just on Friday because of flooding, but it was fine. <happy sigh>

I was up really early tho :o and I've been wandering about vistaprint to buy business/personal cards - the last 4 times I've been out locally, someone has given me a card so that we can keep in touch. I can't reciprocate, and on a personal and a professional level, I need to be able to. So 250 cards ordered, after much trial and error, on the back of which is a fantastic quote by a guy called Martin Delany: "If we treated everyone we meet with the same affection we bestow upon our favorite cat, they, too, would purr." And the astonishing thing is, he was an African American abolitionist - born as early as 1812, thank god he lived to see slavery end. He went to Harvard too. Amazing man. I'll blog about him, I reckon.

I need a recovery day today, especially since I was up early, even if I was only pootling about on the computer, so no finance-busting going on, just admiring the yellow thing in the sky :T
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • A wonderful quote KC - do you have a blog chuck - i'd definitely love to read more about Delaney if you do write about him :D

Glad you had a good time and got back safe too :)
  • Karmacat
    Forumite
    Hi DDFW! My personal blog is on my contact page thingy on here, but I'll email you a link to the puddy cat one, thats where I'll put it, because he *does* mention cats, after all. I was going to blog on there about the fun things in choosing what to put on a card, and its turning into a design blog as well - I might scan in design doodles, we'll see how that goes.

Right. Off to get my trainers on, and then out for a walk around the block, and into the garden to do some clearing up ...
  • Karmacat
    Forumite
    Right, amongst the ordinary stuff of day to day living, there's an mfw list:
    - client phone call
    - ring builders to come round for quotes
    - accounts work
    - check bank account, move money around if necessary
    - pay credit cards
    - once the frost is on its way out, do 15 minutes out in the garden.
  • Karmacat
    Forumite
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Such a simple-sounding sentence .... two hours! At least! Yellow Pages, Thomson Blue Pages, last year's diary to see if I could trace the guy who did a handyman type job that I was really pleased with, yell.com as well. Have finally ended up with 3, all very local, thank heavens.

And the one from the next town who advertised "no job too small" (and some of my jobs are small, but repointing a wall, and laying ceramic tiles in the bathroom aren't really **small** jobs) - well, he wanted me to take photos and email them to him, so he could give me a rough quote so when he came out to do a formal quote he could do some work there and then ... forget it!

I'm sweeping the floors because they're going to be poking in everywhere :o First one arrives at 2pm today :j
  • Karmacat
    Forumite
    Karmacat wrote: »
    - client phone call
    - accounts work
    - check bank account, move money around if necessary
    - pay credit cards
    - once the frost is on its way out, do 15 minutes out in the garden.

The ones I didn't do are bolded - I tried to pay both credit cards, but the second payment didn't go through, I don't think. And the one builder *did* come round, and it took an hour because of how much info I had to give him, I was exhausted! And had to eat :D

It was a total of four hours on the building stuff, plus that eating/recovery time :D I might do some stuff tonight, but thats all.

Anybody else ever have dirty wall ties? House is holding together fine, it seems, but when it was being built, they didn't keep the wall ties that they put in at the time clean, i.e. they let bits of concrete fall on them. With the result that they transmit damp, instead of just holding the walls together. Grrr.

These costs are going to be high, I can tell - but unless I want to sell this house as a doer-upper when I do eventually come to sell, this stuff has got to be done. Annoying, but there it is.
  • DedicatedDFW
    DedicatedDFW Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Oh KC - i must admit i looked at your list and thought you would do well with the calls as i have much the same experience of ringing round / trying to get hold of people etc. that takes much longer than you think it reasonably should - well done you getting so much done i say :T:T

And :eek: to the request for pics of jobs needing doing :eek:

Are you planning on moving then KC?

And i am looking forward to reading your blog but *must* study first :cool:

And.. um .. KC what are wall ties ? :o should i be able to see them or are they inbetween the brickage ? :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business