Mouche’s adventures with her first mortgage (while coping with her first baby)

Options
Hello everyone. I expect I am jumping the gun a bit by starting my diary already but I have been aching to join the MFWs for ages! I’m more of a lurker than a commenter but your diaries have inspired me over the years and I hope that in time I might be able to help someone myself. At any rate, I’m joining in and I hope someone reads my diary other than me J

Right, a bit of background. My husband and I moved to the UK from India after we got married about 5 years ago (actually he moved a year before me so he’s been here 6 years now). I’m 32 now and he will be 37 next month, so we’re not as young as many of the FTBs on here but we started from scratch after we got married and we’ve been saving hard for a deposit on a house ever since. Finally achieved our target sum earlier this year. Then started the attempt to find a house we both liked, which had a decent survey and whose owners were ready to sell to us. We were nearly there in April and then the sellers of our almost-dream house pulled out because their buyers had pulled out. We started again, offered on 2 properties, were scared off by their survey reports, and have finally ended up, as of yesterday, exchanging contracts on the almost-dream house! We had rung the owners on the off chance and found that they were looking for a buyer and things just fell into place. We are completing on Friday and moving on Saturday. We’ll miss our rented house – we were there for 3.5 years but looking forward to being in our own home.

Our mortgage is with HSBC and we are on the Lifetime Tracker which will run at 2.49% above base rate for 25 years. It allows unlimited overpayments and fee-free switching at any time. When we decided on the mortgage, we had planned to overpay like mad so that when the base rate started to rise, we could switch to a fixed rate on a lower LTV. A combination of the delayed purchase and me getting pregnant has meant that this is no longer going to be very achievable but we’re keeping our fingers crossed that the base rate doesn’t rise too soon or too fast so that we can still OP a fair amount before needing to fix.

We had a just over 20% deposit so the actual mortgage capital amount to repay is – brace yourselves - £193,000. This is for a 4 bedroom house with garage in London Zone 6 so we think we got it for a good price – but of course, it’s an absolutely enormous number and I know I will be on this board for the long haul. A tentative goal is to pay it off by my 50th birthday, so in just under 18 years, but that is a finger in the air goal with nothing to back it up. After we move in and I reassess our financial situation, I may be in a position to set more concrete goals.

As mentioned, we have our first baby on the way (and to be honest probably our only baby – I’m not too keen on more than one though I have been told once baby is born, I may change my mind). Baby is due in early Feb but because I am going back to India to deliver (long story), I will be starting maternity leave on 7th November. Well not maternity leave technically as I have 20 days of holiday to use up first, but in my mind it’s maternity leave as that is when our maternity budget will start. I’m an Excel fiend and love calculating budgets and tracking every stray penny. So I’ve set up a maternity budget which will take into account our reduced income for the year that I will be off. I am a higher earner than OH so the loss of my salary will make quite a dent. However, I’ve calculated that I can pay myself a ‘salary’ of £1000 a month from my maternity pay (6 weeks), SMP (33 weeks), child benefit (6 months as I can’t claim when I’m not in the country), and the money I have put aside for maternity leave. This will help a lot as with quite a bit of belt tightening (no holidays for a start!), our joint income ought to just about cover our expenses while I am on mat. leave. I still have to find £300 to pay OHs salary when he is on paternity but I think that can be managed. I still have a little bit left from the ‘house fund’ which will hopefully cover moving costs and the bits and bobs of furniture we will need in the new house. My plan is to try and save from the reduced budget – even if it a few pounds – and also try to earn a little extra doing surveys and the like. We will have to see how that goes but I am determine to OP *something* every month, even if it is 2p!

Once we’ve moved and settled in a bit, I will post our SOA for your scrutiny and suggestions. Just wanted to share my excitement with you –though I’m ashamed to admit I’m probably more excited about starting my MFW journey than buying our first house! Still, I think you will understand. ;)
Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)

Comments

• Courgette
    Courgette Posts: 3,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    welcome mouche, and good luck with the house and baby!

You're not the only one with a big mortgage so don't worry and it does sound like you got yourselves a bit of a bargain there - well done on the 20% deposit too!
    A reminder to myself: Persistence Pays Off ;):D :idea: :rotfl:
    Mortgage 1: [STRIKE]£95,000[/STRIKE] £78,900 at 3.1%
    Mortgage 2 (BTL): £83, 489.15 at 2.99% (I.O.)
    Savings (S&S ISA): £3000 Plus 6 months emergency savings earning 3%
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello, welcome mouche. With such a big mortgage it might be easier to break it down into smaller targets, sometimes the end seems such a long way away otherwise, best of luck with the new house and pregnancy.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • downsizer3
    Options
    Great attitude and I'm sure you'll manage to keep those OPs coming. Wishing you lots of luck on your family and MF journeys!
    May 2018 - £159k + £3.5K CC - let the countdown begin! :)
    March 2019 - CC gone and bye bye M2 on 31st! £140k to go.:j
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Funny how you've saved up all that time to get a mortgage, and the 1st thing you want to do is get rid of it :rotfl:.

Good luck with all your plans :D
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Wow that's a monster all right!

Welcome to the boards, as previously mentioned there are a large range of mortgages (and ages! - I'm older than you :-)) so you'll have company on your journey.

Best of luck
    Mini Challenge - Halve 2nd Mortgage by Year End
    Starting: £10,000 Currently £8,142.62
    £3,142.62 to go!
  • lvm
    lvm Posts: 1,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good luck Mouche!

I'm currently lurking around these boards but having some savings goals to meet before finalising my MFW plans.

I'll be joining here shortly I'm sure!

LVM
  • mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh wow, so many MFW royalty visiting my diary! Thank you so much for the encouraging comments and the welcomes. *gallygirl* your comment made me laugh - it's so true!

Just wanted to report that though I can't actually overpay yet since my mortgage hasn't actually begun, I've just hopefully managed a £110 cashback by signing up to Sky through Quidco in my own name. OH was the accountholder in current house so I've signed up as a new customer. I also talked OH into downgrading our package a bit. I would have happily gone with Freeview but I think that may have been grounds for divorce in this house! It should be about £40 instead of £60 per month so better a £20 saving than nothing.
  • bungrefurb
    Options
    Hi Mouche and welcome! All the best on your journey x
    MFiT-T2 Questee number 146
  • mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry for not posting for a while but we moved last weekend and have to rely on using the internet at work as Sky can’t install phone line/ broadband till end of October! TV connection was done in 2 days though, which doesn’t bode well for getting all those boxes unpacked. My mum was an absolute star and got us settled in just a day – bear in mind she’s 65 and had a 14 hour flight the next day! I didn’t have to do a thing, which was very good as currently sitting on a chair all day makes me exhausted by 9pm! I’m clearly not one of the women who are energised by their pregnancies!

Anyway, we completed on 23rd and got the letter from the bank yesterday informing us that the first payment will go out on 4th November and will be £1,089, then £914 thereafter. Today was payday for OH and me so I’ve shunted our money around and….made our first overpayment!!!! It was only £130.72 but at least we’ve made a start.

It’s turned out to be a lot less than I expected because I had miscalculated the amount I would need to see me through maternity leave. So a lot of the spare cash this month (and there was a fair amount spare since we don’t pay mortgage or rent this month) went into the maternity leave fund. I forgot to put aside the £550 I’ll need for OHs paternity leave so that will have to come out of next month’s pay. I also think I may have underestimated our expenses this month as we will have to cover the council tax, electric and gas at the rented property till 9th October, which is when our notice expires. We’ve had the water bill through and it was in credit so no need to worry about that one. I have a feeling we may be in credit with council tax as well or only slightly short so fingers crossed. We’re probably going to have to pay a hefty electric and gas bill though – have some emergency savings to cover those until next month’s pay so not too worried.

The mechanics of overpaying are really simple. Since we’re on a tracker with unlimited overpayments, I can just transfer it over using online banking. I can see myself transferring 50p every day just to get that buzz!

I’ve always been quite good about saving for things before buying them so I have a fair sum put aside for things like car insurance and gifts. I also have £10,000 in emergency money – it’s actually a loan from my mum. She doesn’t want it back but I still think of it as mum’s money and am using it as a backup fund in case of disaster. I am very grateful to her for providing me with that security.

From now on, all spare cash will be divided equally between 4 pots:
    1. Emergency money – a trying to build up a backup of 6 months living costs so need another £6,000 to add to the £10,000 mentioned. Have saved £800 towards it so far.
    2. Building/ redecorating – though the house is in pretty good nick, the bathrooms could use a refurbish, we want to have a downstairs cloakroom installed, and the carpet in the master bedroom is dreadful. None of it is urgent so we’ll pay for them as and when this fund builds up.
    3. Private school – The nearest school to the house is a very good academy but is heavily oversubscribed. I don’t think we’re close enough to it for baby to get in even though it’s the closest one to us. The next two have failed their Ofsted’s and look pretty grim from the outside so if baby doesn’t get into the academy, I may want to send him to private school and then hope he’s clever enough to get into a grammar after the 11+. We can’t really afford private school but the earlier we start, the better position we will be in to consider it as an option.
    4. Overpayments – yay!

I have also done a YouGov survey today for 25 points and queried my boss about the fact that 3 hours overtime last month failed to show up in my payslip. Turns out he forgot to email Finance about it and that it will now appear in November’s payslip. Without an internet connection at home, I’m struggling to do anything much to raise money but once maternity leave starts (roll on November!), I hope to be able to do more.
  • £130 for a first repayment is very good what with your added expenses through moving so well done you!

Keep the momentum going while you don't have ready access to the Internet (October?! I'd DIE!!!!) and once you are all set you'll be chomping through that mortgage.
    Mini Challenge - Halve 2nd Mortgage by Year End
    Starting: £10,000 Currently £8,142.62
    £3,142.62 to go!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills