I've quit everything. Now what ?

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I never go for extended warranties. Most are poor value and have too many exclusions
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • irishjohn
    irishjohn Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I tend to steer clear of extended warranties. They may seem like a low outlay every month but they all add up and over the years come to a fair bit of expenditure. I have my reasons for this.

First of all we have the Consumer Rights Act in place to protect us in terms of the quality and longevity of our purchases.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Most items we purchase have at least a 1 year guarantee if not more, and it is the retailer responsibility to carry out any repairs or replacements under the warranty or guarantee.

Over and above the 1 year cover we are also protected by the Act in that if an item fails to live up to its promises - and can push for repair or replacement outside the initial warranty period. Most items we purchase should operate well beyond 1 year. It may be a hassle to get a repair or replacement carried out but how likely is anyone to have a run of bad luck with lots of items failing.

Items we buy today tend to fail less than previously, with improved technologies and manufacturing processes.

Finally - if an external warranty is used the item is likely to be removed for repair and it may be quite some time before it is returned - and in the meantime you have to cope without it. I would rather think about the age of the item and decide if it may be worn out and perhaps decide to replace instead of repair. At the time I can decide what my budget allows - new - second hand - or refurbished.

I just think its hassle to have to deal with some remote warranty company by phone and depend on them to get my washer or whatever sorted out. Better to keep the monthly payments and perhaps put them into another savings account to accumulate a sum to be used for replacements or repairs by local tradesmen as and when needed.

My only exception is my gas central heating boiler. I pay monthly maintenance for that to ensure I get an annual service and priority treatment shouldl the heating fail in the middle of winter.
    John
  • another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 June 2017 at 5:15PM
    Actually , on reflection it looks like I should cancel the extended warranties . At the end of the day I expect to get a year from these white goods . Probably more . I'd be better off buying like for like once they start to deteriorate .

John .. you just beat me to it :) Yes.. boilers are essential things to maintain :)

Thanks
  • irishjohn
    irishjohn Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Actually , on reflection it looks like I should cancel the extended warranties . At the end of the day I expect to get a year from these white goods . Probably more . I'd be better off buying like for like once they start to deteriorate .

Good Decision AC
    John
  • Thanks John :)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Well said John. I agree with all that. Far better AC to put the £6.50 into a separate savings account for replacement of white goods as and when it may be necessary. We have had 13 years out of our Bosch washing machine so far and only just replaced our Fridge/Freezer after 17 years.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I believe that Dyson upright and cylinder vacuum cleaners come with their own 5 year warranty and Dyson fans and hand held vacuums have a 2yr warranty. Did you decide to go ahead and buy an Apple imac. Hope you're settling in nicely.
  • I believe that Dyson upright and cylinder vacuum cleaners come with their own 5 year warranty and Dyson fans and hand held vacuums have a 2yr warranty. Did you decide to go ahead and buy an Apple imac. Hope you're settling in nicely.

Yes , I spoke to dyson first and all is good . No extended warranty here:) . The iMac will be got within the next couple of weeks once james has fitted shelves / cupboards etc.
    The other one has got too old now and I cannot use any useful
    applications . Pre snow leopard and all that ..:)
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Yep! Never bother with extended warranties. Waste of money.
    Settling in nicely AC :D
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • Yep! Never bother with extended warranties. Waste of money.
    Settling in nicely AC :D

Thank you sir:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family