BW Legal sent county court claim form

2»

Comments

• Poki12
    Poki12 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Thank you Sourcrates and Stopit
    I will copy the defence lines.
    What happens if the debt hasn't reached the time bar.? Or what happens after ?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,825 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Poki12 wrote: »
    Thank you Sourcrates and Stopit
    I will copy the defence lines.
    What happens if the debt hasn't reached the time bar.? Or what happens after ?

They will either provide evidence to the contrary or they won't.

If they submit proof it's not time barred, you will have to pay it.

You must know if it's time barred or not ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Poki12
    Thank you for ur response.
    As far as I recall, it was last 2008. Then I was not in the country for few years.
    It's been around 9 years. Is there a way to find if its statute barred.?
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Yes, if you know you haven't paid or acknowledged the debt in over 6 years, then it'll be SB. It's up to them to prove otherwise. The onus is not on you for proof so don't worry.

Their default dates etc wont matter a jot. As long as you're confident that it is SB, you'll be fine. At this stage, it either is or isn't so the defence is your best call anyway. If that isn't correct, you'll have to pay either way and the court isn't going to penalise you for trying that defence.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Poki12
    Thank u so much for your response.
    I ll keep you updated what's happening.
    Good day :)
  • And what if they issue you with a ccj and you dont even know about it as they have me ...they must have sent letters to my old house as ive not been there for over 3 yrs and yesterday only find iut that i was issued with one last sept ?
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Oldhamlee wrote: »
    And what if they issue you with a ccj and you dont even know about it as they have me ...they must have sent letters to my old house as ive not been there for over 3 yrs and yesterday only find iut that i was issued with one last sept ?
    It may be better to start your own thread with a few more details.

CCJ Papers will be served to the last known address to the creditor. If you do not update the address with them, you are responsible for this.

If the CCJ is in error (Not your debt, statute barred or other valid defence) you can write to the court and ask for the CCJ to be Set-Aside. This resets the process to the start of the claim process and if you can then defend the claim, the CCJ will be gone.

If the CCJ is valid, you have the choice of settling it or avoiding it. However, after a CCJ, a creditor can then escalate to enforcement, including charging orders if you own property, or attachments to your earnings.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • I have received a letter from Northampton Court to pay. I have the money to pay in full. This is in conjunction with debt collectors called PRAC Financial. On Friday morning I finished work one hour early so lost money to visit BW Legal in Leeds. I got there and pressed the buzzer. I told them I want to pay my fine in full. A Scottish woman goes and asks her manager why I am there for then the reply was "SHOCKING". She said " i went and asked my manager and he said we don't accept payment cash or by card at this office. You need to ring the hotline to pay". Then I said " I have just traveled over 20 miles to get there". She said " I am sorry".
    Looking at My letter I got from BW Legal at the top of the letter it mentioned the phone number. This phone number is the hotline. It's the same number as to the Leeds office number I visited. TOTALLY waste of time. So if they refused payment then why they sending me a CCJ court letter?. I have tried on numerous times to register with them to pay but it keeps coming back as "Your details don't match our records", neither does my reference number. Same story to "PRAC debt collectors". there office don't exist in Barnsley. These are the ones who referred me to BW Legal. I am thinking of taking legal action by applying to northampton courts.:( :(:(:(:(:(:(
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    I have received a letter from Northampton Court to pay. I have the money to pay in full. This is in conjunction with debt collectors called PRAC Financial. On Friday morning I finished work one hour early so lost money to visit BW Legal in Leeds. I got there and pressed the buzzer. I told them I want to pay my fine in full. A Scottish woman goes and asks her manager why I am there for then the reply was "SHOCKING". She said " i went and asked my manager and he said we don't accept payment cash or by card at this office. You need to ring the hotline to pay". Then I said " I have just traveled over 20 miles to get there". She said " I am sorry".
    Looking at My letter I got from BW Legal at the top of the letter it mentioned the phone number. This phone number is the hotline. It's the same number as to the Leeds office number I visited. TOTALLY waste of time. So if they refused payment then why they sending me a CCJ court letter?. I have tried on numerous times to register with them to pay but it keeps coming back as "Your details don't match our records", neither does my reference number. Same story to "PRAC debt collectors". there office don't exist in Barnsley. These are the ones who referred me to BW Legal. I am thinking of taking legal action by applying to northampton courts.:( :(:(:(:(:(:(
    If you've had a court claim, you do need to respond to it, even if it's just 'dispute claim - paid in full'

Hopefully you can get the payment to them somehow.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Elizamay wrote: »
    Hi, I got a few days ago a letter from this company about a debt from 2006. I haven't paid or acknowledge it since that time but this letter is giving me till mid December to reply or at first it's a claimed issued against me and then it says a ccj may follow. Would anyone be able to offer and advice as I'm sure from reading above after 6 years it becomes SB. Many thanks

Moved to a separate thread

Here ----> http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5743169
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure