Changing habits, wanting freedom

Options

Comments

• Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 January 2017 at 11:38AM
    Options
    Thanks, Dolphin. I think the idea came from working out that if New Year's Resolutions don't work it's because we ask and expect too much of ourselves and end up feeling worse than if we'd hadn't even tried.

It's more than a halfway house for me, allowing myself sort of junk food - I love chips. If I say I'm going to exclude them completely I'll end up going to the chippy and that's what I'm trying to prevent. We have fish and chips once a week and it's a fakeaway I thoroughly enjoy. We both work at home so there's no excuse not to cook from scratch but it's still a lovely indulgence.

And we also turn leftovers into our favourite meal of the week - cold roast meat, refriend roast veggies with garlic and mayonnaise and freshly cooked green veg. It's just known as 'Favourite' on the meal plan for Mondays. We have Co-op pizza (because it's at the bottom of the road) with salads every Saturday night and watch a film on telly. That's four meals on the meal plan every single week I don't have to think about for a nano second and the saving on the grocery budget is fantastic because nothing goes to waste.
    jvr wrote: »
    Its so obvious when you think about it but I always thought 'being good' was not buying them as more expensive than cooking from scratch. Yet, inevitably I would be tired and go for an even more expensive takeaway! Love these diaries for the simple suggestions that can make a big change and a lot of them come from the amazing HoneyBear :)

They're often cheaper than cooking from scratch, mainly because there is absolutely no waste - no vegetables going bendy in the bottom of the fridge, no recipe ingredients going out of date because you were too tired to cook, etc.

It's the little changes we make that made the big changes possible.

So had a fab weekend finishing cleaning and made a delicious dinner sat night while OH is working which is in a tub for me today. Did a roast chicken yesterday for me and OH and made extra veg so it can all be piled in for a curry tonight.... I can't remember who suggested turning leftovers into different meal instead of same meal twice so OH will eat it but he seems on board :)

Fabby!

Fitbit is back on and even cycled into work even though it was absolutely freezing. Feel much more on it this week... amazing what a clean and tidy house can do for the mindset. Although as OH pointed out the dogs don't appreciate my work one bit... one decided to pee on my nicely mopped floor! Rude!

Well done on cycling to work at this time of year. I take my hat off to you, that's some commitment in these temperatures.

The dog might have done something a whole lot worse if he thought he was living in a midden! Good on you for having such a great weekend just doing the simple things in life. It is strange how much satisfaction we can get from basically taking good care of ourselves, isn't it?
    Better is good enough.
  • jvr
    jvr Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Misty.... I haven't even started on the clutter and paperwork yet! Yes OH is 80% on board which is progress from his 5% last year haha. He's doing well but this month will be a bit of a test so we shall see...

Honey... the leftovers are working fab so from a £3.50 medium chicken we both had a roast... left over veg and chicken with some extra veg went into a curry last night which we both ate... one portion left I also popped some veg and chicken into a slow cooker making two huge portions of soup for lunches! I feel so proud its ridiculous!! OH off tonight so our treat of aldi steak will be had tonight and I can have the rest of the curry tomorrow night.

OH actually offered me lift to and from work today but I turned it down and cycled... I feel better when I cycle and even though he offered he is so moody in mornings its not fun! I have my new habit of huge 2 litre water bottle on desk to top up my glass all day to increase water intake and its going well :)
    Yoga at lunch again today I think and hoping for another good day :)
    Debt: £14,000 now £2169
    Emergency Fund: 1000/ £1000
    :j
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    All sounding good, well done on cycling in this chilly weather...have to admit I haven't been able, to summon up the courage recently as I leave so early it's like the Arctic..

X
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • jvr
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a very clever technique to make me do it on a morning as I have to leave at 6.30am.... get up to late to get the bus and not have a car... its amazing the motivation I have to do it when I have no other choice :)
  • Honey_Bear
    Options
    You sound really, really up for this now, JVR. Good on you and I hope the motivation stays with you. If not, come back and reread your own posts! Fantastic!
    Better is good enough.
  • jvr
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Yesterday was a good day, cycled in and out of work and did yoga on my lunch. Sent OH to the shop to grab some salad bits to go with our steak and he spends £16!!! Were still within budget but we had to have a little discussion on the extras ... he got a tray of those seasoned baby potatoes you pop in the oven but its was £2.50 when he could get a huge bag of them for that and season them himself but ah well still gonna manage within food budget this month. Spoke to my mum who is struggling with the boy... social services trying to close case again and yet she is struggling to afford him an he lies constantly and she needs support. I have friends that work as social workers so I know how difficult it is but I'm also angry that they seem to think they can wash hands of the case as someone is generous enough to take him in. Going to take her to a relax and unwind yoga class tonight and see if that helps a bit
  • Honey_Bear
    Options
    (((Hugs))) for your mum. What she's doing is just about the only hope the lad has I should imagine, but she should get the support she needs and certainly financial help if she's acting as a temporary foster home for him.

Ah, yes, OHs being sent to get something for a couple of quid and managing to spend three days food money on fripperies. You come across that a lot on all the debt-busting threads, where one partner wants to pay off the debt as quickly as possible and the other one wants 'nice things.'

The only option is to make absolutely sure that your OH understands that the reallly 'nice things' are the ones you make yourselves - a bag of spuds, a pot of herbs which you can grow or buy frozed from Sainsbobs freezer cabinets in the winter and a lot of butter. Rather more than the runny slop you get in the bottom of the plastic trays from the supermarket, at that. I do buy those potatoes but only when they're yellow stickered. I love them as a timesaver when I've lost interest in cooking even though I know they're monstrously expensive in comparison.

Supermarkets are absolutely brilliant at psychology - their purpose is to get you to spend money on things you don't actually need. If you join the Grocery Challenge you'll find a lot of information on how to keep that part of your budget tightly under control. I still haven't cracked it completely and I've been working on it for years!
    Better is good enough.
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    It's great news about your OH being 80% on board, once he can see how much difference it's making to your finances, he'll probably work his way up to 100%.

I'm sorry your mum is struggling, and it does seem unfair that SS are abandoning her. I understand that they are overworked and understaffed but if something were to go wrong, it's not right that your mum should have to shoulder it all. When you think of all the added stress that it's no doubt bringing into her life, there may come a point when she thinks it's not worth it any longer if she's not getting any support. I don't think I could do it myself, SS should be incredibly thankful that she has stepped in.
  • JWPopps
    JWPopps Posts: 341 Forumite
    Options
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    Ah, yes, OHs being sent to get something for a couple of quid and managing to spend three days food money on fripperies. You come across that a lot on all the debt-busting threads, where one partner wants to pay off the debt as quickly as possible and the other one wants 'nice things.'

...or in my case it's not my OH but my mother...

So I feel your frustrations too!!

Hope your mum gets some support sharpish!! She's doing a wonderful thing, but that's not going to get the extra costs of the bills paid.
    Mortgage: £83,000
    Credit Card Debt: £1,700
    Loan Debt: £3,000

• jvr
    First Anniversary
    Options
    In a rush but thank you for messages will respond when get a chance tomorrow!
    Big news is ........ I PASSED MY DRIVING TEST!!

No idea how, I was horrendous! Ah well
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business