PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Anyone make Sourdough Bread?

Comments

• I think I can help you here - I only make sourdough bread - and its scrumptious!

Starter (easy way) 11 Fl oz water
    Strong Flour 9 oz
    Sachet of Fast Acting yeast
    Mix this lot in a LARGE wide bowl - It will rise for England - Then collapse! Cover it with a Tea Towel leave at room temp, mine took 4 days to react. Your results might vary. It will react like Vesuvious then settle down, give it a good whisk/stir every morning and wait till it has the consistency of double cream, it should smell pleasant and be a bit "sweet and sourish" You use this starter to make your bread, what happens is that the real yeast you have used to jump start the mix is used up and the natural yeast in the flour takes over, every time you use the starter you replish the mix with flour and water only and let it re-constitute back to the cream consistency, my starter is now 7 weeks old and I make 5 loaves a week out of it!

When you pour off some starter to bake you need to replenish it, so you need to replace like with like, the recipe I will give below uses 1 and a quarter cups from the breadmaker machine, so I put back a cup of flour ( and a ikkle bittie) and half a cup of water. stir it up (dont worry to much about lumps they will be assimilated) The trick is to watch the general consistency of the starter in the long term (expained in a minute)

Once you have a good starter you are ready to rock and roll. Here is my basic recipe (all taken using the bread maker 8 oz cup)

1 1/4 Cups sour dough starter (10 fl oz)
    1/2 cup water (4 fl oz)
    2 Table Spoon of oil
    3 cups STRONG white flour (that is 1lb BTW)
    1 1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoon sugar

If working it by hand knead well - rest for 20 mins or so
    Re- knead again give it a good work out and cut into two shapes as wished - lightly flour and allow to prove for about an hour and 10 mins ish.
    Bake at Gas 6 for about 40 minutes or so.

Alternatively use the breadmaker and I use the wholemeal setting (long proving essential)

Nota Bene

The ingredients are very much as you find them, the consistency of your starter governs the amount of flour, you need to feel the mix, if its a bit sloppy them do not worry about adding a bit of flour, if dry add a little water, it is seat of your pants stuff - but you soon get the hang of it all. To make a traditional continental style Sour Rye Bread (The best IMHO) start off with the above mix and add only one table spoon of Rye Flour - The reason is that Rye actually destroys gluten and stops the bubbles forming, so.......start as I have stated then add the Rye as you knead the dough after the first rest (I use it to dust then stretch and fold the dough over the rye) You will like it I guarantee.

Hope this helps.
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • carol_a wrote:
    Have you ever read "By bread alone" by Sarah Kate Lynch? Here's the link to it on Amazon, it's all about a woman and her quest for the perfect sour dough:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/055277104X/qid=1127339920/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/026-5179099-9710038

I see they've got some second hand ones from 29p

Thanks for the info - even with the £2.75 p&p its not too much more than a loaf from down the road. Order placed!

Regards,

White.
  • leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Hi peeps

I am keen to have a go at making sourdough. Am I right in thinking that you just make it once, then all your bread is made from it?

I want to give it a go and have purchased a book in readiness!

But what does the finished bread taste like? Is it 'sour'? i've never even tasted shop bought sourdough bread so im not really sure what to expect.

I'm doing it as now I grind my own flour, im worried about phytic acid in the grains and I hear that sourdough's break down the phytic.

Also, does it rise well?

A million questions lol!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hiya :)

the following thread might answer some of your questions... worth a read while you're waiting :)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=93802
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • leonie_2
    Thanks Squeaky

Thats a good thread. So what does it actually taste like then.... is it really sour??? :confused:
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes, it'll taste ( a bit ) like the way it smells. It took me a slice (or two) to get into it but I really got to like it.

Of course, one person's nice is another person's so-so and yet another's PUKE!!!

But it is in effect a sort of compatriot of sourdough and never gave me even the teensiest suggestion of a stomach upset - which for sure is what the dough smelled like it might do. I reckon the cooking stopped all the fermenting stuff.

I'm not about to start doing it on purpose, but I sure as heck won't worry about it if it happens again :)

I'm no help at all am I? :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • leonie_2
    squeaky wrote:
    I'm no help at all am I? :)

Yes you are, you made me grin like a fool with your 'PUKE' bit :D :rotfl:

Thanks Squeaky
  • seraphina
    seraphina Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm interested in making my own sourdough too but I've been waiting until I have a good few days spare before I give it a go!

True sourdough starter relies on NO added yeast - you just let the flour and water mix rise from yeasts that are present on the flour and in the air naturally. So once you've started your own sponge (another word for sourdough starter) you add that instead of yeast. You keep a bit back and feed it with flour and water until it goes all foamy again and then you can make more bread. It's a bit like culturing yoghurt!

These guys will post you some starter which has apparently been going since 1847 - it's based in the states but they only ask for a minimum donation.

Let me know how you get on!
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    seraphina wrote:

True sourdough starter relies on NO added yeast - you just let the flour and water mix rise from yeasts that are present on the flour and in the air naturally. So once you've started your own sponge (another word for sourdough starter) you add that instead of yeast.

Aaaarrgghhhh - I've had SUCH a nightmare trying to create a sourdough starter from scratch (without yeast)!! Over the last 6 months I must have wasted 2 kgs of organic rye flour on starters that never started! :eek: Am going to leave it till the weather's warmer, as apparently the temperature is pretty crucial. And if that doesn't work I'm gonna give up! AM sure you guys will have better luck than I've had! :D
    4 May 2010 <3
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,030 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I've read today that using Rye flour inhibits the gluten but then I read that using Rye flour is easier as its bubbles within an hour or two! :confused::confused:

I'm chancing my arm and using a mixture of two different flours cos that's what I've got in the house and use for day to day bread making. If it doesn't work I'll need to get some unbleached bread flour alone. I've put it into the airing cupboard to see if it starts to work.

Good luck with this to others who are trying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure