PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Can you make HM Buttermilk?

Options

Comments

• ness_w
    ness_w Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    What's the alternative to this? I have a book that stipulates it a lot, is it thick or thin? I have been using ordinary milk, but don't know if I'm missing something in terms of flavour?

Thanks, Ness.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know about flavours but this search shows a few substitutes for buttermilk:-

google buttermilk substitutes
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi ness,

There's an older thread that might help too so I've added your post to it to keep all the replies together.

This thread might help too:

What's buttermilk?

Pink
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have started to use buttermilk for my scones and they certainly attract compliments these days
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • nuttyrockeress
    Options
    How do I make buttermilk to add in a cake - i can't find any in the shops? :confused:

Thanks
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
  • Chuzzle
    Chuzzle Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can't tell you how to make it but my Morrisons and Tescos both sell it near the yogurts/cream. Tesco is 55p per carton and Morrisons is 35p per carton but it's slightl smaller size than Tesco.
    Banana Lovers
    Buy your bananas in bunches of 5 on Sunday. Then arrange them in order of ripeness and write a day of the week on each banana in felt pen, Monday on the ripest, Friday on the greenest to save time making those decisions on a hectic weekday morning
  • tsstss7
    tsstss7 Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    Options
    Isn't buttermilk what you get left when you make butter from cream? If you read the threads about making butter it's mentioned there...I read one of these threads and was inspired to have a go and apart from a bit of rsi it was pretty satisfying.
    MSE PARENT CLUB MEMBER.
    ds1 nov 1997
    ds2 nov 2007
    :j
    First DD
    First DD born in june:beer:.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It is usually with the cream at the supermarket. Failing that substitute yogurt.

Commercial buttermilk is a cultured dairy product and is not the same as the liquid left after making butter.
  • Trishh_2
    Trishh_2 Posts: 275 Forumite
    Options
    You can add a bit of vinegar to milk. That will sour it , giving the buttermilk taste. I read that tip on HERE, somewhere, ages ago :D
    :beer:
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Hi there! We have an existing thread on how to make buttermilk at home, so I'll add this thread to keep ideas together ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family