PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Comments

• taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    didn't get anything done yesterday as was poorly but so far today I've sent a huge bag of books to our local Hospice charity shop via my sister:)

When I've had my cuppa I'll start on the kitchen cupboards.

I did manage to declutter the kitchen windowsill the other day too!

Happy Decluttering all!:D
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • PudseyDB
    PudseyDB Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    51 books in a box to try and sell to our local 2nd hand book shop next week (leftovers to charity shop - promise!)Got my cash4clothes bag picked up today - it was a bit more of a mission than I anticipated to fill half a bag so I had to get friends and family to chip in. Not worth an awful lot, probably would've got more for it CB-ing it but I can't hold with it hanging around until spring. If it's going to go it's going asap!

what's CB-ing ???
    sootypea wrote: »
    Ditch 100 in January Challenge
    Is it too late to join..
    off all weekend so will get busy.....

Not at all........its only day 6 :D
    gsdloopy wrote: »
    A bit late finding this thread but this year is a decluttering year for us too. I give up with trying to get in our garage or shed etc as that is OH's domain but I'm going to try with the house. It's ridiculous. I can't even get to open the curtains in our room :o and I'm getting really fed with it. Every room is overflowing and its a very small house. To be honest it's hard to know where to start but I'm going to try to concentrate on sorting one area out completely before starting another. Even if I only clear half a shelf a month,I want to actually get rid of stuff not just relocate it!. OH just wants to get a skip and throw everything out but most of the stuff we have is good, we just have too much and its so wasteful to throw it away.

I had that problem in the lounge before Christmas...it felt such an achievement when I could finally reach the curtains without negotiating an onstacle course! Obviously it bothers you, so maybe try to tackle that first?

I know since being pregnant with baby number 4 it's been really hard for me to get anything done with a bad pregnancy and her being so demanding and clingy but I have got to do something and it should be easier now she's 18 months old!

So far I've got 7 items on ebay, not much but hey it's a start. Next week I'm going to see how to recycle clothes at cash for clothes as I don't seem to have much luck selling them on ebay.

Like you say - its a start and thats often the hardest bit.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    :wave:
  • PudseyDB
    I'm so annoyed :mad: as I plannned to get all the xmas stuff sorted, packed and put away today, but I seem to have aggravated my back again! All I did was put the rabbit food on the back seat of the car - and it wasnt even heavy :(

They need to go up two flights of stairs and through a small door into the eaves in the attic. Might try and see how much I can get done myself, then ask the kids to help carry them up after school.

Ditch 100 in January Challenge
    8. bag of tatty childrens books gone in the bin
    9. bag of childrens books ready for the charity shop

and thanks for the head-up on the free listing weekend :j got some Clarks boys shoes that I want to try and sell.

• 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    I'm guessing cb ing is car boot?

Slow start but

1. dying pot plant to the compost heap
    2. Rusty bread tin to recycling
    3. carrier of cans/tins to recycling
    4. bag of card and plastic to recycling
    5. china sheep....left in my posession by a lodger a millenium ago, it has moved with me, followed me around, been moved from here to there a million times, don't like it, chipped, why oh why have i held onto it???? It's gone!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,835
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I only found this thread today - can I join please? I have lots to sort out!
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 1277/2024 March - 1384/406
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 First 4 Week Period £11.75/£100 2nd £33.71/£100 3rd £57.13/£100 4th £13.65/£100 NSD - 60
    2024 Craft Makes - 113 Craft Spends 2024 £205.99/£500
  • Hiya Pudsey - CB-ing is Car booting :)

Saving Jane : If you just go on the musicmagpie website and enter in the barcode on the back of the dvd it will tell you straight away. More obscure dvds tend to be worth more than popular mass produced ones. The most they paid when I did my order was £3 for a dvd, £3 for a cd and £7.50 for an xbox game. Most things tend to be under a £1 - mass market stuff is usually about 30p!
    All that is gold does not glitter
    All those who wander are not lost

:starmod:Recycle ALL the things!:starmod: :p
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 6 January 2012 at 10:29PM
    Ditch 100 in January

Please add me!
    100 items out by end of January? No problem :T
    It does mean I'll have to count the stuff I've got stacked up to ditch already though :o
    edit: 77 so far (27 bits from the kitchen, 6 garments, 2 books, 23 items from the cabinet & 19 Christmas decs, boxes of cards, set of lights etc)

TODAY: 4 'Christmas' cushion covers into the CS box of Christmas stuff & a too small/ faded blouse into the CS bag, small square biscuit tin into work and one into the recycling ... so 7 plus those already declared!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • PudseyDB
    edited 6 January 2012 at 11:59AM
    365days wrote: »
    I'm guessing cb ing is car boot?

Slow start but

1. dying pot plant to the compost heap
    2. Rusty bread tin to recycling didnt know you could recycle stuff like that!
    3. carrier of cans/tins to recycling
    4. bag of card and plastic to recycling

5. china sheep....left in my posession by a lodger a millenium ago, it has moved with me, followed me around, been moved from here to there a million times, don't like it, chipped, why oh why have i held onto it???? It's gone!
    :rotfl:that made me laugh!
    Hiya Pudsey - CB-ing is Car booting :)

Thanks both of you - it seems so obvious now you've told me, but didnt have a clue when I read it!
  • xxlouisexx56
    xxlouisexx56 Posts: 2,267
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hello there. I am a long time lurker on this thread.

But OH gave me some good news and i just knew you ladies would appreciate it the most!

He said in the next couple of months *after our holiday* We can hire a rug doctor cleaner and do the whole house ANDDDDDDDDDDDDD....... We can repaint the living room and kitchen! But we can only do this if i do some serious decluttering. in the 2 rooms. I have already done our bedroom before xmas and did the kids room this week.

I have listed 11 things on ebay this week and already taken 4 bags to the CS. I have more bags in the hallway waiting to go too.
  • SavingJane
    SavingJane Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Thanks I went onto it scanned in the barcodes and for 37 think it was dvd some like double films came just under 20 was a bit sad seeing 30p come up so many times, thou did have 1 dvd which had 3 films on 1 disc come up just over £4 so might see if I can sell that else where lol

Have found a very small under 20 ppl facebay page for local area so just listed a load of items on there but don't hold out much hope when so few ppl are on it. Where are all these busy groups people talk of they sell loads on
    Mummy to Lewis Born Aug 10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport