Dog Racing 1p Meal Deal

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Tarry wrote: »
    I've yet to hear off someone who racers their greys who treats them well, and you can't dismiss the overbreeding of them can you? I don't think personally that anyone should take up this offer, why support something that is cruel?

That is a ridiculous post, a friend of mine had 2 greyhounds, kept them at home, raced them and when they retired, he kept them. NOW you have heard of someone who treats them well!

This whole post has turned in to an animal welfare campaign, when it should be about a cheap enjoyable night out. Thanks to the OP.

If someone posted a grabbit for a night at the Opera I wouldnt want to go, but I wouldnt come on here telling evryone else why they shouldnt go.
  • Alternatively, you could of just written " Im not very bright".

Alternatively, you could HAVE just written, and you could HAVE used an apostrophe in "Im", especially if you're claiming that somebody else isn't as bright as you.

My apologies for bringing this debate about animal cruelty, which it shouldn't be, down to one about the English language. We all have our high horses to mount.
  • MrsMW
    MrsMW Posts: 590 Forumite
    Please don't go to dog racing. We went on an outing from work and had a great time so decided to go again. One of the dogs fell and broke his back, it was the most awful thing I have ever seen.
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: While it’s easy to wander off-topic that often prevents newbies finding the information they want quickly and easily (please see this rule). Please keep this thread on topic. If you’d like to discuss non-MoneySaving related topics please continue your discussion in The MoneySavers Arms or Discussion Time. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="%20abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • nickmack wrote: »
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: While it’s easy to wander off-topic that often prevents newbies finding the information they want quickly and easily (please see this rule). Please keep this thread on topic. If you’d like to discuss non-MoneySaving related topics please continue your discussion in The MoneySavers Arms or Discussion Time. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.

I dont consider the debate on animal cruelty linked to a posted Grabit to be "off topic". Possibly the thread could be locked down after a short period that shows the views of posters, but it should never be discouraged totally.

Regardless of what your view, the point of the business that makes the grabbit offer is to drum up new business and therfore generate income. People should know the effect that their money has when it is spent. Some people will not have a clue through no fault of their own what goes on behind the scenes and where there money goes or what it supports, they can then make their own choices with a little information.

Is it this websites view that money saving comes above any responsibility towards the effect it has on others (including animals)?

Alternatively, you may just be refering to when the lowest form of input turns up to add exactly nothing to the thread, Hello to the spelling police :rolleyes: yawn, Well done for totally missing the point.
  • I dont consider the debate on animal cruelty linked to a posted Grabit to be "off topic". Possibly the thread could be locked down after a short period that shows the views of posters, but it should never be discouraged totally.

Regardless of what your view, the point of the business that makes the grabbit offer is to drum up new business and therfore generate income. People should know the effect that their money has when it is spent. Some people will not have a clue through no fault of their own what goes on behind the scenes and where there money goes or what it supports, they can then make their own choices with a little information.

Is it this websites view that money saving comes above any responsibility towards the effect it has on others (including animals)?

Alternatively, you may just be refering to when the lowest form of input turns up to add exactly nothing to the thread, Hello to the spelling police :rolleyes: yawn, Well done for totally missing the point.

you started it... yawn
  • dervish wrote: »
    you started it... yawn

Phyllis13 is coming for you.
  • Tarry
    Tarry Posts: 11,195 Forumite
    At least my conscious is clear ;) I mean at least I don't support this trade and that's the last thing I have to say on this matter.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    I dont consider the debate on animal cruelty linked to a posted Grabit to be "off topic". Possibly the thread could be locked down after a short period that shows the views of posters, but it should never be discouraged totally.

Dog racing is not against the law, this is a grabbit, that should have been the end of it....the animal cruelty issue is for another place, but not here.

People spending 1p on entry and a meal are hardly supporting dog racing!

Do you/would you also post the same stuff if this was a grabbit to cheap entry for horse racing
  • nihcaj
    nihcaj Posts: 59 Forumite
    photome wrote: »
    Dog racing is not against the law, this is a grabbit, that should have been the end of it....the animal cruelty issue is for another place, but not here.

People spending 1p on entry and a meal are hardly supporting dog racing!

Do you/would you also post the same stuff if this was a grabbit to cheap entry for horse racing

Well, to keep the subject completely on topic, I will not rise to the issue of horse racing as the comparison is not relevant at all. For one thing there is no such offer around attached to horse racing, and whatever the morals, it is not nearly as tarnished as the dog racing industry (and that is saying something!)

You ask how 1p supports dog racing? If you do not understand the basics of how "offers" work, then this could not BE more on topic for the entire site, and extends far beyond this one business, but to almost all! It is not due to a philanthropic desire by any business, just the cold draw of profit. I don't have a problem with that if the business is a moral one, nor do many ther people.

The 1p offer or any other offer linked to what seems to be a loss maker by any
    business rarely is. In this case, the cost of the offer is small, the entire contingent of staff involved all need to be employed in any case, and would be there even if no-one took up the offer; the business is open and consuming very much the same amount of electricity, water, and many other overheads are going to be very much identical.
    Admittedly the meal will earn a small loss on the food component, but of course this cost is nothing like the amount charged by selling it at the full price. Meanwhile who ever goes for a meal without drinks? Even (particularly!) if only soft drinks, and of course the betting - in such an atmosphere, it is very hard NOT to be drawn in, and I suspect going merely for the meal would be a very boring time, not what the operator or the visitor would want!

Drinks and other services are not usually even at "normal" rates in these enclosed environments (like any restaurant or air ports or a sporrts stadium) so the mark up on these will most likely end up making a comparatively small profit, cover the food costs, and also serve to attract future business at full price. The operator has hardly any risk of losing out at all, most likely earning a small profit, and it lends to the "busy" atmosphere too which in turn keeps the "wheels turning" even before any consideration of future income.

If this is not supporting a business, then what is?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure