Cancelling a t mobile contract.....help please

Leothecat
Leothecat Posts: 1,492 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi.....
Last year I got 2 of the £0.01 t mobile contracts. I have found them truly awful and have decided to cancel. Unfortunately, they do not allow online cancellation and insist that you ring them. I have done so on the number listed 07953 966250 and have now been on hold for 2 hrs 01 min and 45 sec!!! :eek:
Does anyone know of any way I can through to them without such a long wait.....please and thank you.

Comments

• mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    edited 24 October 2014 at 6:08PM
    It took me very little time to get through on the phone (twice). The first time was to give notice to cancel, the second to rescind it. I don't know why you find them "awful", but it seems the loyalty bonus continues if you don't cancel (leaving a net monthly cost at present of a princely 23p). Since you get 250 minutes which can be used to call any 08 number as well as normal ones as well as 250mb, I decided it would be insane to cancel such a good deal at the end of the 12 months and therefore rescinded my notice. I also dealt with the 1p when it first arose - so in my case I'm actually in profit for another 18 months or so anyway (which eases my own particular conscience about never actually paying for my minutes etc on any deal).

If you really want to cancel and have trouble getting through, I would suggest calling at different times of the day/differnet days and if you haven't got through to the leaving option try again later. Though why anyone would abandon such a fantastic bundle is beyond me (which is why I didn't once I realised the loyalty bonus will continue and started a thread on here to that effect to let others who were fortunate enough to get that deal that they won't lose the benefit should they let it continue beyond the minimum term).
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It took me very little time to get through on the phone (twice). The first time was to give notice to cancel, the second to rescind it. I don't know why you find them "awful", but it seems the loyalty bonus continues if you don't cancel (leaving a net monthly cost at present of a princely 23p). Since you get 250 minutes which can be used to call any 08 number as well as normal ones as well as 250mb, I decided it would be insane to cancel such a good deal at the end of the 12 months and therefore rescinded my notice. I also dealt with the 1p when it first arose - so in my case I'm actually in profit for another 18 months or so anyway (which eases my own particular conscience about never actually paying for my minutes etc on any deal).

If you really want to cancel and have trouble getting through, I would suggest calling at different times of the day/differnet days and if you haven't got through to the leaving option try again later. Though why anyone would abandon such a fantastic bundle is beyond me (which is why I didn't once I realised the loyalty bonus will continue and started a thread on here to that effect to let others who were fortunate enough to get that deal that they won't lose the benefit should they let it continue beyond the minimum term).

Many thanks for your response on this.

I too got the 1p deal and it is due to expire at the end of the month but I hadn't realised that it would continue at that rate (now 23p with increase). I got it for a spare phone but my partner has been using it since Ovivo went bust and is very pleased with it. My contract shows 500 m/b of data but she never gets anywhere near that so I don't know if it is less. The option to use it on 08 numbers is a great benefit.

Either way, I'm going to stay with them.
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It took me very little time to get through on the phone (twice). The first time was to give notice to cancel, the second to rescind it. I don't know why you find them "awful", but it seems the loyalty bonus continues if you don't cancel (leaving a net monthly cost at present of a princely 23p). Since you get 250 minutes which can be used to call any 08 number as well as normal ones as well as 250mb, I decided it would be insane to cancel such a good deal at the end of the 12 months and therefore rescinded my notice.

You might want to double check that. I put in 30 days notice the other day on the two 1p/23p contracts I have as they stated on the online accounts that the discounts came off after the 12 months (ie: they had an expiry date on them) - be careful.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • ring 150 from the handset with the sim card in iv never been waiting more than 5 minutes when iv rung up
  • Tony5101
    Tony5101 Posts: 1,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    simax wrote: »
    You might want to double check that. I put in 30 days notice the other day on the two 1p/23p contracts I have as they stated on the online accounts that the discounts came off after the 12 months (ie: they had an expiry date on them) - be careful.

I concur with this. I know a few people that work at Orange, and they are very well aware about these contracts coming to the end of their min. term.
    I've been told that they have already done one sweep in the system to add expiry dates to the discounts, and will continue to do so until they find all of them.
    Mine are now cancelled.
    By all means, feel free to take a chance, but I wouldn't place any bets that they won't find your contracts and revoke the discounts.
  • I have written confirmation that the discount will continue. If it doesn't, I will take the appropriate action. This is also T-Mobile, not Orange.
  • Tony5101
    Tony5101 Posts: 1,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have written confirmation that the discount will continue. If it doesn't, I will take the appropriate action. This is also T-Mobile, not Orange.

As you wish..and orange/tmob....as you already know...same difference, same call centres...same people...
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have written confirmation that the discount will continue. If it doesn't, I will take the appropriate action. This is also T-Mobile, not Orange.

Like I say, best to double check. If I was a betting man, I'd say those discounts are coming off.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Same result. I won't have to pay - it's up to them how much it costs them to comply.
  • Tony5101 wrote: »
    As you wish..and orange/tmob....as you already know...same difference, same call centres...same people...

Not strictly true. Orange, T Mobile & EE all have different systems. Most staff are only trained on one of the networks and not all three. All 3 have different contracts, packages, etc. Therefore, something that happens with Orange will not necessarily happen with T Mobile. Persevere with calling them and ask if there is an expiry date on the system.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure