How long does it take to get a tax rebate?

Comments

• I do not blame the staff. They are just doing their job. I can sympathise that it must be an absolute nightmare to work at the tax office this time of year and deal with 1000s of angry taxpayers who expect their money back.

The onus here is on HMRC to adequately staff the tax office to accommodate these busy times of year. It is not as if the need for additional manpower at these busy times is unexpected. Clearly, they have dropped the ball on this one.

In the USA, tax time is mid April and the US Internal Revenue Service (the US version of HMRC) brings on at least 10,000 temporary and contract staff members to process taxes so that everyone can receive their refund in a timely manner. And they do. I always received mine within a three week time frame. There is no reason why the UK can't operate to the same standard, especially since the PAYE tax system is a billion times more simplified than the US system of taxation.
  • Tarasam
    Tarasam Posts: 508 Forumite
    The onus here is on HMRC to adequately staff the tax office to accommodate these busy times of year. It is not as if the need for additional manpower at these busy times is unexpected. Clearly, they have dropped the ball on this one.

Unfortunately HMRC are unable to do this due to Mr Browns decision to remove thousands and thousands of civil servants jobs to cut costs. HMRC are well aware that they are ridiculously understaffed.
  • susan10
    susan10 Posts: 6 Forumite
    :money: Hi Guys, :money:

I've just received a fat 1200 GBP back from inland rev. When i first sent in the claim they discarded the form and my p45s with no reason.I was really upset and sent in a new one with a letter of a heart breaking story about me having a serious disease and that I need a lot of money to pay for treatment bla bla bla...
    I started to call them every day to chase up my claim.I made some useful friends in the office.
    So my advice is to call them everyday starting from day one. After a few calls they just want to get rid of you asap and they will transfer you a big sum just to avoid your calls.

Call them every day ! Call them every day! Call them everyday! :money: :money:
  • Tarasam
    Tarasam Posts: 508 Forumite
    Oh my god thats so not the case!!

If you call HMRC every day you are using up resources that could be busy answerng proper calls plus if you speak to someone in the contact centres dealing with the tax office they can see from their systems that you are just hassling for a refund and they can very rarely speed anything up.

At the moment there at least 120 calls waiting to be answered at any one time. Progress chasing in this way is un-necessary, by all means call and get an approximation as to how long it will take to be dealt with according to postal delays / backlogs etc.

I'm glad you got your refund but the sob story will not have made any difference to the speed of the work. You only get back the amount you have overpaid.
  • Hi all, I am going through this whole p50 thing right now. I sent mine to S!!!!horpe office late May, who then sent it on to West Lancs office at the beginning of June. I have rang them constantly since and neither S!!!!horpe or West Lancs can confirm whether it has been recieved or in S!!!!horpes case sent? I asked if I should resend the info and was told No! Due to backlog West Lancs are presently dealing with mail from June 9th!!!!! So they are sure its in there somewhere and I should just sit tight and wait. I have explained that I am presently not in employment (sub contractor) and have made no claim for benefits, but this does not seem to make a jot of difference. Their whole mindset in both offices is that their system is slow and we just have to wait and pray its in their stockpile somewhere?

Also they have now introduced a 4 week payment scheme were I need to reapply every 4 weeks I am out of work (12 weeks thus far) - but I cant reapply for weeks 4-8 and 8-12 until they deal with my initial claim??

Really frustrating.

Dave Matthews
  • C8LNJ
    C8LNJ Posts: 36 Forumite
    I sent off my P50 form filled in with relevant P45's in the last week of March and ive still not seen a penny.

I recieved a letter in early June asking for my current employers P60, which isnt available as I no longer pay UK taxes, I explained my circumstances over the phone which they accepted but insisted they had in writing. I wrote to them outling what I had confirmed over the phone.

Nothing for another month so I phoned....they hadnt recieved my letter yet & were going through mail from April.

What a joke, 4 months to sort out a tax refund. If I owed them the money they owned me they would have a man waiting on me in a bush outside my home by now. Its sickening!

Ive considered asking my local MSP to write to them, as apparently as soon as they recieve a note of interest from such a person they have torespond/deal with the request within 10 days or HRMS get their !!!! felt!!
  • Hi all,

I recently started a new job and didn't have a p45 so i printed off a p46, filled it in and gave it to my employer with plenty of time before payday at the end of the month.

Pay day came and as I expected I was taxed at the BR rate.

How long does it take for these forms to be processed, as I only work 8 hours a week a significant amount of my pay is taken away.

I have had this problem in previous jobs where i remained on BR tax code for the whole time I was there so I have no faith in the tax office sorting this out.:mad:

Does anyone know how I can irritate them enough so that they sort this out or am i being impatient, how long does it take for the P46 form to be processed and come into effect.

thanks.
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    gower454 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently started a new job and didn't have a p45 so i printed off a p46, filled it in and gave it to my employer with plenty of time before payday at the end of the month.

Pay day came and as I expected I was taxed at the BR rate.

How long does it take for these forms to be processed, as I only work 8 hours a week a significant amount of my pay is taken away.

I have had this problem in previous jobs where i remained on BR tax code for the whole time I was there so I have no faith in the tax office sorting this out.:mad:

Does anyone know how I can irritate them enough so that they sort this out or am i being impatient, how long does it take for the P46 form to be processed and come into effect.

thanks.

Assuming that you marked B on the P46 then your employer can put you onto the emergency code (647L)on a month 1 basis right away, they do not need to wait until the tax office issue anything. A lot of monthly payrolls have quite an early cut off date for amendments so it is possible that your P46 was not received in time, or possibly has been lost. You need to contact you payroll dept first to check if they have the p46 and when they will be putting you on the emergency code.
    When your correct code will come from the tax office will depend on when they get the details from the P45 and possibly details of what if anything you received between jobs. If a P45 has not been issued then the tax office will need to contact your last employer for these details. In order for your new employer to tax you correctly they need not just your tax code but also the total pay you have received before starting there and also the total tax you have paid, if all works well this is the information on the P45.
  • Thanks.

I did mark box A on the P46 as its my first job this tax year.
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    gower454 wrote: »
    Thanks.

I did mark box A on the P46 as its my first job this tax year.

As you marked box A you have declared that
    "This is my first job since last 6 April and
    I have not been receiving taxable Jobseeker's
    Allowance or taxable Incapacity Benefit
    or a state or occupational pension."
    My previous advice remains the same except that your employer can now put you onto the emergency code (647L) on a cumulative basis, which will mean that you will get back the tax you paid on the BR code, unless you are on something like £4000 a month or more.
    As before check with your payroll dept. that the P46 was received and that they are putting you on the emergency code on a cumulative basis. Unless you have any variation from the usual tax code this will be your code that the tax office issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure