PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mid Terrace VS. End of Terrace !!

Comments

• I would choose the end terrace personally, provided it's not on a corner and the sides of the house aren't straight onto the pavement. But it depends on how important it is for you to be closer to the station and whether you really need parking for two cars.
  • freeman3030
    freeman3030 Posts: 209
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    +1 for end of terrace. Only have one neighbour to worry about. If the mid terrace is a deep rectangular house, is the centre of the house lacking in natural light? You get an extra parking space with the EOT but you will have to do some decoration (but i personally would always redecorate to my own taste anyway so don't see that as a nuisance. Ultimately up to you, but i know what i would choose. Can you out links to right move for us to see?
  • Samsonite1
    Samsonite1 Posts: 572
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Generally an end of terrace is more desirable due to only being attached on one side. It depends on the property itself - if what is at the end of the terrace is nicer than having another house next to it, that may swing it. Normally you get a wider plot which again is more desirable (and easier to sell on). Sounds like with 2x off street parking that is the case and that is another plus point (even just for having a visitor whenever you like).
    To err is human, but it is against company policy.
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    If the end terrace has ground round it's side then this could give you space for a garage which would increase the resale price by a fair bit.

Check both areas out late at night on a weekend, the park could be a mecca for drink/drugs teens, restaurants (licensed) spilling out late on weekends can be noisy footfall past your door.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,872
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Be careful. You're thinking of it like it's a consumer item where its retail value is all that matters.
    It wouldn't be long before the extra couple of hours a week you spend walking to the train station and also the extra distance to the shops etc. would start annoying you and become a source of regret.
    Location, location, location.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    zagubov wrote: »
    Be careful. You're thinking of it like it's a consumer item where its retail value is all that matters.
    It wouldn't be long before the extra couple of hours a week you spend walking to the train station and also the extra distance to the shops etc. would start annoying you and become a source of regret.
    Location, location, location.

Or, the extra walk keeps you fitter (or a folding bike gets you to the station in 5 minutes), and with a new mortage you aren't going to the shops and restaurants very often in any case :D

Half as likely to have a nuisance neighbour.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    davidmcn wrote: »
    If your rental contract ends in September why are you considering a house which might not be available for you by September?
    It's now mid-April.
    Let's assume three months for the sale to go through. That's mid July.
    So that's a month and a half or two months of rent on an empty property after completion. Grand and a half or so?
    If the OP goes for the EoT, then that gives them time to do some decoration before moving in.

Always assuming the landlord doesn't agree to ending the tenancy early, of course.
  • Mathias123
    Mathias123 Posts: 43
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We are in the process of buying an end terrace, with a south facing garden, so it's a very light house as you get a couple of extra windows. It also has a slightly bigger garden.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    0.6 v 0.3 miles isn't really that important to me.

In fact nobody can give you this answer.

Close your eyes. Actually read this first then close your eyes.

Imagine you have heard that each house in turn has received a list price bid and is no longer for sale.

Which one is that the most disappointing news?
  • Helen2k8
    Helen2k8 Posts: 361 Forumite
    Doesn't sound like there's much between them. Personally I'd go for the bigger garden, unless it's north facing, because I enjoy gardening.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure