Flue for a log burner

Options

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    When buying a wood burner here the chap came round and did a survey of the livingroom to find the most suitable size of stove. Now got a 5kw stove which was fitted by people approved by the shop owner.

The setup wasn't cheap but as there's no mains gas here and no option of oil the stove is great. Seasoned wood, little ash, one red hot room and the chill taken off the others up the stairs.

A carbon monoxide detector is important so factor that cost in too.

I'd recommend an Eco-fan. It sends the hot air out horizontally to keep everyone toasty. Hot air normally rises and it's no use having a hot ceiling!
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    It's perfectly possible to do it yourself. You just need to know the rules.

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove_building_regulations.html

The HETAS engineer that installed mine was a first class bodger. Just having a certificate doesn't make you competent.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 August 2017 at 6:17PM
    Options
    https://www.fluesupplies.com

Buy the better 904/316 liner and get it done properly by qualified people.

Forgot to add you don't need a steel reg plate, you can use cement board or fire rated plasterboard.
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with keith969 you don't have to be hetas to install and is perfectly acceptable to do it your self if you know the rules and follow the manufacturers instructions. If your a electrician then your going to be practical and not a diy novice, it really isn't rocket science to install. A co alarm is a mandatory thing to have with wood burners.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The lady in the shop made no mistake in making it clear to me that she was unimpressed.

I was quite shocked at how rude she came across, to be fair...

It doesn't excuse her rudeness, but I have had a couple of chats with stove shops locally and they seem to be very prone to the internet shopper effect - everyone comes to their showrooms to look at models, then goes home to buy online.

Installing a stove is not rocket science (well, perhaps a rocket-stove is :) - but even that is good basic technology!) and well within the scope of competent DIY.
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    Co alarms are mandatory with newly installed wood burners, it's in building regs document j, i think it came in 2015???
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    CO detector requirement came in oct 2010:

Warning of release of carbon monoxide
    J2A. Where a fixed combustion appliance is provided, appropriate provision shall be made to detect and give warning of the release of carbon monoxide.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • sparkychris
    sparkychris Posts: 572 Forumite
    edited 22 August 2017 at 6:24PM
    Options
    Another update....

Went to a different showroom and the bloke couldn't have been more helpful. He asked me exactly how I was going to have my stove so he knew what parts I'd require

He gave me this list. ..

10 m 6" flex £180
    6" 90 T £40
    6" 200 mm length £10
    6" M/F/A £10
    6"pot hanger £40
    Plus vat comes to £336

I spoke to him about my experience at the other place and he grimaced a bit as if he knew what was coming.

He also said that it was a pretty straightforward job for someone with a bit about them and the advantage of using a hetas engineer was mainly just an administration thing if I wanted to sell the house and people doing it themselves was very common.

I got a log burner too. £120 from a local facebook group. Its CE marked. and I've taken the door off and replaced the seals at a cost of less than 20 quid.

Have decided that I will have a plumber with me for peace of mind in case there is a back boiler hidden away that needs dealing with. (He'll be on site anyway doing another plumbery job that needs doing)

I will, of course, be having CO alarms.
    :cool::cool: lurker:cool::cool:
  • sparkychris
    Options

I know..... Am always delving in!
    :cool::cool: lurker:cool::cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income