PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

New fry pan, old lid?

I want to get a new pan, if I keep the old lid do they generally fit, or are they unique to the pan they were bought with?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,564 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It might fit if you buy the same diameter frying pan. You could take it with you and try it out if it's important to you.

I have one of those multi-size lids or use one of my casserole lids when I need to. Even if they fit inside without touching the food IYSWIM they still work well.
  • I swop pan lids between pans of similar size and never had a problem doing so - just as well after Woolworths (remember them?) sold me a saucepan minus its lid one time (back before I realised all standard type saucepans are sold with a lid and so they shouldnt have done that:mad:).
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    frying pans don't usually come with lids although I think most saute pans do.

But I mix and match my lids to pots and pans and most of the time they fit fine.

If you have one that doesn't quite fit and you really need it to fit tightly for a
    particular recipe, you can always put a ring of silver foil around the top of the pan then put the lid on.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,966 Forumite
    I made certain when I bought a new pan I measured the lid off the old one first and bought a new pan to fit the lid as they weren't making the lids anymore.

I've got some other saucepans of differing brands but the lids are interchangeable providing the diameter is the same obviously.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• honeythewitch
    honeythewitch Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Slinky wrote: »
    I made certain when I bought a new pan I measured the lid off the old one first and bought a new pan to fit the lid as they weren't making the lids anymore.

I've got some other saucepans of differing brands but the lids are interchangeable providing the diameter is the same obviously.

Even then,it might not fit. I recently bought a le creuset balti dish with some vouchers expecting a lid of the same size in the same brand to fit it.
    It didnt. I spent a few days traipsing around department stores and charity shops (carrying a heavy cast iron pan ) looking for a lid. I even found one with the precise measurements on ebay and that didnt fit either!
    The problem with it is that the handles stop the pan from resting on the edges. https://www.lecreuset.co.uk/cast-iron-balti-dish.
    Fortunately I was able to take it back.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,966 Forumite
    Even then,it might not fit. I recently bought a le creuset balti dish with some vouchers expecting a lid of the same size in the same brand to fit it.
    It didnt. I spent a few days traipsing around department stores and charity shops (carrying a heavy cast iron pan ) looking for a lid. I even found one with the precise measurements on ebay and that didnt fit either!
    The problem with it is that the handles stop the pan from resting on the edges. https://www.lecreuset.co.uk/cast-iron-balti-dish.
    Fortunately I was able to take it back.

Thinking about this, I think I identified a possible pan in the shop then took my lid with me to double check before purchase. It was a Tefal.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Slinky wrote: »
    Thinking about this, I think I identified a possible pan in the shop then took my lid with me to double check before purchase. It was a Tefal.

I think most are interchangeable, but trust me to buy the impossible one! :D
  • Teg-Rem
    Teg-Rem Posts: 97 Forumite
    I have a cupboard full of kept lids they always come in handy and fit something else along the way
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure