transfer family member's debt to my card

my son has debts of £5,000, would i be able to transfer his debt onto a intrest free balance transfer card in my name?

Comments

• amfan
    amfan Posts: 108 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Yes, not always if it is the same provider though, so it's worth checking directly with them if that is the case.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Yes, provided that:
    • You can get a card with a high enough limit to allow a balance transfer at that level
    • It's from one of the providers who aren't particular about transferring from one name to another
    • You accept that it's now (legally) your debt
  • lynz68
    lynz68 Posts: 323 Forumite
    Yes you can do it but it will become your debt. If for whatever reason your son doesn't/cannot pay you are liable for the debt.

Also if you do this there is nothing to stop him running up the debt again.

Can he not get a 0% card in his own name?
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,585 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    You are accepting liability for the debt if you do this. It also does not stop your son going out and running up a further £5k on a credit card. Why would you do this? I could understand if you had £5k in savings and wanted to help him out and could afford it but if you are borrowing to repay his debts then you put your own financial position in jeopardy.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As per the above responses, it would be possible to transfer the debt but (a) it would become yours and (b) what lesson does your son learn from being bailed out?

Of course you have only posted the question rather than the background so there may be exceptional circumstances or you may have considered these points already.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It can be done as I did it for my partner as he couldn't get a 0% card.

But he does transfer all his wages to me and now doesn't have a credit card at all.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    I would strongly recommend not doing this, my sister did this for another sister and years later she is still owed the £8k. It has led to a break down in their previously very close relationship and that's the sadder part
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Tesco Credit Cards only allow balance transfers from cards held in your own name, and they make you tick a box to confirm that this is the case when you request the transfer online.
  • You won't be helping him, let him sort his own debt out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure