British Gas Smart Meter irregular Readings

Michaelw
Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
British Gas smart meter monitor is showing different to what the meters showing in prepayment mode.On 17/8/17 just before midnight to the 18th the electricity use was 39p for the whole day I knew that was wrong and should be more.It gave a reading of £1.20 use for the whole day for both fuels total.However after midnight 18/8/17 the usage went to the previous day and then showed suddenly £1.30 total and the electricity use was then 60p more like what it should be.The gas was out too, the monitor was showing 6p an hour use and the meter was showing a different amount to the monitor out that 6p.The monitor was showing 6p an hour gas use but there wasn't any gas running this only stopped after I unplugged the monitor and reconnected it.Its like its trying to calculate both meters but its not working properly in real time.

Has anyone else noted strange readings from these meters? The signal is ok I think the best idea is to abandon the monitor its saying one thing then another and just read meter credits for topping up.

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Many people on this forum have binned them after a few days
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Addition of the daily standing charge at midnight?
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    No its not the standing charge that go's on around 12.30 am as a 26p amount on each fuel.

I woudn't bin displays' as customers don't own them but they don't appear accurate and have a toy feel about them.Its best just read the meters for credit left and amounts added.

The only difference is not inserting a card/key.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure