Advice - Booking Jamaica.

Options
Hi,

I have always wanted to go to Jamaica and I would love to see if I can make this happen.

We are a family of 6, but when I am looking at going our kids ages will be 18, 16, 10, 9. Through my very limited travel agent searches I have been getting prices of £1500pp (ish) So around £9000 for all of us, for 2 weeks All inclusive.

Can anyone advise on how I might slash this price please. I am not adverse to booking separately/directly etc. I am looking at the first two weeks of April.

Also any advice on which areas of Jamaica might be best for us.

TIA x
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    £1500 each for presumably all inclusive? I'd say that price was good. It's still prime time for the Caribbean and it's school holiday time. I've not been since 2008 but we paid £5000 the last 2 weeks in March, for 2 of us for 2 weeks back then.

If you follow the advice in Martin's article what it doesn't tell is that some of the most shonky OTAs advertise on Ice Lolly etc and that they don't have live pricing or availability, or customer service.

Thomas Cook have single pricing policy. Same price in store, over the phone or online.

Thomson book online. Stores will price match, for a fee. Don't ask an independent. That said they'd probably pay you to book with anyone but Thomson lol.

Virgin are direct sell only. They cut out all third party agents a while ago.

If you book elements which you would most likely be doing if you go via a price comparison site or OTA make sure you buy travel insurance that covers consequential loss.

Area is entirely up to you. Do some research into what each has to offer.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That is a very good price for Jamaica in April let alone all inclusive. Have you tried searching from other UK airports. You could reduce the stay to 12 or 10 nights, it won't feel much less of a holiday but will bring the price down, although as others have said your quote is very good value.

I know you said you specifically want Jamaica but there are cheaper islands, although Jamaica is not one of the more expensive places anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure