Child Employment Law

Hi,

I work for a swimming club and we have some of our older swimmers help with our young beginner swimming lessons. These swimmers are paid for their help. Looking at the Gov web page & my local authority web page they should have permits to work.

I can see that all helpers 13-15 years old need a permit, can work for 2 hours per evening up to 7pm, they can also do some work at the weekend.

16 year olds seem a bit more undefined.
Does a child who turns 16 in August but stays on for 6th form need to have a permit? and is he/she restricted on 2 hours/7pm? They can officially leave school (though needs to go on to more education or trainee etc) so I'm thinking no but cannot be sure.

If they had turn 16 in January instead does the 2 hour/7pm restriction continue until end of June or can they now work more hours?

On a slightly different area, can an 11-12 year old volunteer to help out for the club (help getting out equipment, look after the younger children, help with activities in the water etc. Under adult supervision) but as a volunteer they would be unpaid. Even though they are volunteers would this still be under the same rules as working? i.e. must be 13 years old or more with restrictions.

Thanks for any advise you can give.

EF
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family