Ryanair sits hen party in FIFTEEN separate rows as outrage over seating policy grows

Comments

• Jonmenzies
    Jonmenzies Posts: 48 Forumite
    I just wish people would stop saying pay up or shut up. I don't get this.
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    buglawton wrote: »
    Very large, the flights are often nearly full of Eastern and Southern European workers on a trip between homestead and UK work location.
    Flying to Malaga and Alicante........?
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    I always wait until the plane doors close, and then we suit ourselves.....
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Jonmenzies wrote: »
    I just wish people would stop saying pay up or shut up. I don't get this.

Perhaps because you left out an option - pay up, shut up OR fly another airline.
  • jpsartre
    reasonable and logical explanation IMO

Except it's not true, the policy HAS changed. They used to seat families together if possible and the website even stated this, now they don't (and the website no longer states it).
  • 2 bookings for our family . Within a few hours of free check in opening I checked in/looked at seat availability, for 3 of us. I was amazed to see that there were only 22 seats left, and there were not even 2 seats next to each other!. The cheapest seat to buy was £17, but still we would be unable to get even 2 of us sitting together. With a 14yr old, the emergency exit seats are not available, and it is wrong a 14yr old child has to sit away from parents, who would assist in an emergency!
    I then looked at the return flight, that was still over 4 weeks away. Even this far ahead, the only 3 seats together were £14 each, making a total of £42, which I cannot afford to pay. My son and his girlfriend had a similar problem, and were forced to pay £20 on the way out (but still not sit together) and £26 on the return.
    When randomly allocated seat allocation has only been open 2hrs. I don’t understand how all middle seats had gone. This meant that even by paying, I could not get 2 seats together. I suspect they have provisionally allocated the middle seats to people who have not checked in yet. This means that they haven’t actually been reserved/checked in, and so those seats should be available for me to buy (at a reasonable £2-4).
    By always allocating the middle seats, it means as availability runs low, even if you are prepared to pay to sit together, there aren’t adjacent seats. (we had 22 seats available to buy, but none were next to each other.)

We have always accepted the late allocation, even if the family were split up (but usually at least in pairs, and at the same end of the plane).

Whilst I expect seats with extra legroom to cost a premium, I believe ALL other seats should be the same price (£2 per seat, per flight would be acceptable). However, to pay in increments up to £20, depending how close to the front/back you are is unacceptable. (many planes don’t even have rear exiting on arrival)
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    tzimmerman wrote: »
    2 bookings for our family . Within a few hours of free check in opening I checked in/looked at seat availability, for 3 of us. I was amazed to see that there were only 22 seats left, and there were not even 2 seats next to each other!. The cheapest seat to buy was £17, but still we would be unable to get even 2 of us sitting together.
    We found similar. People keep banging on about it only being £2 but we didn't see any at that price.
    With a 14yr old, the emergency exit seats are not available, and it is wrong a 14yr old child has to sit away from parents, who would assist in an emergency!
    I wouldn't worry about a 14 year old - unless they have some mental or physical disability they should be just as capable of reacting appropriately in an emergency, in fact they'd probably be the first off the plane! I'd worry more about old/infirm people.
    I then looked at the return flight, that was still over 4 weeks away. Even this far ahead, the only 3 seats together were £14 each, making a total of £42, which I cannot afford to pay. My son and his girlfriend had a similar problem, and were forced to pay £20 on the way out (but still not sit together) and £26 on the return.
    When randomly allocated seat allocation has only been open 2hrs. I don’t understand how all middle seats had gone. This meant that even by paying, I could not get 2 seats together. I suspect they have provisionally allocated the middle seats to people who have not checked in yet. This means that they haven’t actually been reserved/checked in, and so those seats should be available for me to buy (at a reasonable £2-4).
    By always allocating the middle seats, it means as availability runs low, even if you are prepared to pay to sit together, there aren’t adjacent seats. (we had 22 seats available to buy, but none were next to each other.)

We have always accepted the late allocation, even if the family were split up (but usually at least in pairs, and at the same end of the plane).

Whilst I expect seats with extra legroom to cost a premium, I believe ALL other seats should be the same price (£2 per seat, per flight would be acceptable). However, to pay in increments up to £20, depending how close to the front/back you are is unacceptable. (many planes don’t even have rear exiting on arrival)
    Once you get them auto-allocated you can then move them around, so for instance if you get auto allocated middle seats you might find you can move one to a seat next to the other, so you only pay for one seat alloaction rather than 2 and get seated together.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Yes this is Ryanair's weirdest yet attempt to gouge. Or if you prefer, to misrepresent the true price of a service upfront. Gonna backfire big-time.
  • jpsartre
    zagfles wrote: »
    People keep banging on about it only being £2 but we didn't see any at that price.

Most routes start at £2 per seat, others are more.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    jpsartre wrote: »
    Most routes start at £2 per seat, others are more.

Am I correct in thinking that its a discounted £2 per seat if you do it at the point of booking, but more than that if you try to do it later on ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure