The Big Adventure

Options

Comments

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Habibiboo wrote: »
    :wave:

Have you been given any medication for it?

Hello hbbb:wave:

I have got those tablets which you have to put between your gum, and the inside of the mouth. But, I'm not keen on taking tablets, except in necessity, or dire emergency. I was prescribed this medication after the really bad vertigo I had at the start of June. Since then I haven't been too bad at all, so haven't really needed to take them. Monday evenings bout wasn't nearly as bad as previously, so as I was comfortable at home, I decided not to take them. If I was out and about, I would have taken one, I keep some with me, just in case.

Today is a nice relaxed day.

We went out this morning and had a free cup of coffee, courtesy of the M&S premium club.

Then we came home as did a bit of light gardening.

Now we are just generally reading, jigsawing or web surfing.

I've just applied for a John Lewis Membership card. I didn't realise you got a monthly coffee and cake with them.

What with JL, M&S and a monthly coffee with Dobbies, I'm going to be awash with coffee:rotfl:
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • giblet1979
    giblet1979 Posts: 864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Really sorry to hear about the return of the vertigo! I think I'd agree about the role of stress / hassle; glad you're getting a chilled out day today.
    Awash with coffee sounds like heaven btw :) x
    Debt remaining: :(
    Mortgage - £117,759 (£134,600, Nov 2013)

Work overpayment and home improvement loan paid back (£19200) :beer:

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    What with JL, M&S and a monthly coffee with Dobbies, I'm going to be awash with coffee:rotfl:
    Don't forget your daily Waitrose one :T
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    Unfortunately we don't have a Waitrose nearby to take advantage of that one.

Perhaps it's for the best, I'd be hyper with all that caffeine!:j
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    Northing much to report today as I've been at work.

I was presented with a loom band bracelet in my favourite colours, made by the daughter of one of my colleagues, which I was very pleased with. I feel very trendy wearing my new bracelet:rotfl: I gave my colleague £1 to pass to her daughter, as a little thank you

I received a surprise book through the post. It's from the river cruise company from my recent holiday. It's all about how they built the ships. It seems to be a thank you for cruising present. A nice touch, I thought. (wonder if I can sell it on ebay)

I've got my first audiology appointment tomorrow. I'm sort of looking forward to it, mostly because I can leave work on hour early :cool:
  • Habibiboo
    Habibiboo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Options

Glad things have eased a bit, I know the med you mean, I was on it previously but had to come off when I had seizures as it's not advised, so now I have something else for emergency use, but it does make me very sleepy! You're right about wanting to avoid things, I'm always trying to get taken off meds almost as soon as I'm put on them!

Hope you get on well at the appointment tomorrow, quite timely really given the last episode being so recent, hopefully they will be able to deal with it positively! x
    Stash busting 2014 45 / 60 (balls of yarn)!
    2014 Sealed Pot #2136 ?/£500
    House: Decluttering 322 / 365
    Original mortgage [STRIKE]£149,000[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£117,750[/STRIKE];[STRIKE]£112,500[/STRIKE] MFW 2014#69 GOAL 1: [STRIKE]£109 K April[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 2: [STRIKE]£103 K by Sept[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 3: < £100k by end of 2014 MF goal: Nov 2020 - 4 years early
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    A nice touch, I thought. (wonder if I can sell it on ebay)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    Habibiboo wrote: »

You're right about wanting to avoid things, I'm always trying to get taken off meds almost as soon as I'm put on them!

Most of the meds have really bad side effects, I think it's sometimes better just to put up with the original illness/condition
    :(

Well, I went for my audiology appointment today. This appointment was more to do with the hearing side of things.

I had my hearing tested, and I must admit that I was quite taken aback at the results. My left ear is normal, which is good, but my right ear was quite bad on the lower frequencies.

I've had my ear moulded for a hearing aid, and I'm a bit concerned about that too, as the the bit that goes in my ear looks quite visible.

Most of the time, when I'm at home and going out and about, I feel as I always used to feel, and more or less forget about the deafness, especially now Mr Goldie has learned to speak up a bit :rotfl:

I do struggle a bit at work, mostly because people don't speak up, or look away when they are talking, and because I'm concentrating on my work, and don't notice people are talking to me.

The hearing aid will be a help, but my appointment today is a reminder that something major has happened to me - so feel a bit glum about it this evening

If I don't like the NHS hearing aid, there's always the possibility of buying one privately - Mr Goldie reckons I should start a hearing aid fund. I might just do that.

Anyway, enough of the :(

In better news I was given a bunch of flowers by a neighbour.

On Wednesday I took in a large parcel for the neighbour (it turned out to be a garden gate) in a serious of misunderstanding at their house, her, her husband and two children each though somebody else had collected the parcel. It wasn't until 9pm that they realised no one had collected it!

It was no problem at all for me, but as a little thank you they gave me bunch of flowers. I love having flowers in the house, so I'm really pleased
  • islandhoppa
    islandhoppa Posts: 219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I'm a lurker round here but read your above post (plus some of your older ones re the vertigo) and just wanted to reply

I noticed hearing loss after my second pregnancy in my late twenties, it turned out to be otosclerosis, basically one ear is almost normal, the other has had all of the lower frequencies wiped out. I was offered surgery but declined as I had a baby to look after and felt that my hearing loss did not really affect my life except as a minor inconvenience.

I was given a hearing aid which I was told would really help with things like hearing over background noise and locating the direction of sounds, but I hated it. I was encouraged to persevere as apparently it's normal to need to adjust to it, it wasn't the look of it that I didn't like, it was the amplification of sounds which made me constantly jumpy. It lives in my cupboard now, gathering dust, waiting for the day I feel I really need it (it is a condition which may likely progress). But that's not to say you will feel the same.

I had waited a long time before seeking medical attention (thinking I was imagining it), and had obviously learned to lip read well, like you it's worse at work but people know now to look at me when they talk and not to cover their mouths with their hands!

Out of interest before and just after diagnosis I suffered random bouts of dreadful vertigo which were completely disabling. It was not thought to be connected and was put down to being BPPV where there are loose particles in the inner ear which disturb the balance sensors however maybe a coincidence but I have been fine now for several years, it seemed to settle when my hearing plateaued. This is great as I found the vertigo much worse than the deafness!

Sorry, long post, just wanted you to know you are not alone :)
  • mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to hear the vertigo came back Goldie - how disappointing after a good run without it. Still, at least it wasn't as bad as before; islandhoppa's message makes me hope that perhaps it will settle down for you as well. My father is 78 and can't hear much in his right ear; he was fitted for a hearing aid but he gave up on it in disgust after a few months. We've all learned to talk to his 'good' ear now. Perhaps another case where the cure is worse than the condition!
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
    2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback