Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dawn S
    • By Dawn S 13th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Dawn S
    Can I split my old cash ISA and transfer to 2 new accounts
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    Can I split my old cash ISA and transfer to 2 new accounts 13th Sep 17 at 3:53 PM
    Hello
    I hope someone can clarify my query as I've read varying answers on other posts and am confused about the one ISA per tax year. Basically I have well over £90000 in an old cash ISA which is now not fully protected and is giving an awful rate. Am I allowed to open 2 new cash ISAs and transfer and split the old cash ISA evenly between them both so the money is protected and I get a better rate? eg put £47000 in a new Virgin cash ISA and £47000 in a new Coventry BS cash ISA?

Further, would I also be able to open a new cash ISA for this year's allowance with another provider say Charter savings for example?

Thanks in advance for clarification
    Cheers
    Dawn
Page 1
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 13th Sep 17, 4:13 PM
    • 2,841 Posts
    • 1,820 Thanks
    greenglide
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:13 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:13 PM
    Yes, you can do that. It "may" be that some providers will not provide the facilities to move just part of the balance but most do.

If you have put no "new" money in any Cash ISA this financial year you can fund a new on as well.

However £90,000 is a lot to hold as cash, do you have a purpose for it?
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 14th Sep 17, 8:07 AM
    • 2,906 Posts
    • 1,784 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:07 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:07 AM
    You should definitely do this as only £85,000 is guaranteed safe with any one provider.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 14th Sep 17, 9:12 AM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 3,850 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:12 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:12 AM
    No you can't open 2 new ISAs, but then why even open I as cash ISAs are really poor value and have been for years now?
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 14th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    • 2,841 Posts
    • 1,820 Thanks
    greenglide
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:22 AM
    No you can't open 2 new ISAs,
    Yes you can!!

What you cant do is put new money into two cash ISAs in one tax year.

Opening an ISA is not the same as subscribing new money to one.
    • toffifee
    • By toffifee 14th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    • 229 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    toffifee
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    Reply to Keep Pedalling (sorry, forgot to do the quote thing): I still keep a lot of my cash savings in ISAs. I know I could get more interest by having the money in normal savings accounts and the interest would be under the threshold so I'd pay no tax on it. However I think interest rates can't stay this low forever and if/when they rise I would end up paying tax on my interest. Therefore I prefer to keep my cash in ISAs where I know the interest will never (under current rules at least) be taxable.
    Last edited by toffifee; 14-09-2017 at 10:32 AM. Reason: clarification
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,588Posts Today

6,032Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin