PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    caronc wrote: »
    What is "slim rice"? :)

It's a very low calorie substitute. It's made from konjac. You can get rice, noodle and pasta versions of it. Every now and then I like to have a low calorie day (not too dissimilar to 5:2 but not that low or as often) and slim rice/noodles/pasta help with that.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's a very low calorie substitute. It's made from konjac. You can get rice, noodle and pasta versions of it. Every now and then I like to have a low calorie day (not too dissimilar to 5:2 but not that low or as often) and slim rice/noodles/pasta help with that.
    Thanks - I'd heard of the noodles/pasta but didn't realise it came as "rice" as well:)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    There are little videos on YouTube of how to make sweet potato flatbreads. I googled out of interest and decided I'm not likely to make them myself - in my case because all the ones I came across use white flour (something I never have in).

They looked like they would be quite quick and easy though if anyone wants to try them.
    I suppose they are really just a "tattie scone" made with sweet potato....;)
  • Hmmm.....though I would say they are pancake like in thickness and texture personally....

Anyways...I'm having a freezer emptying out thing going on in my cooking at present. So I guess I'll be trying out those readymade ones I got soon. I'm sorta thinking I ought to roll them and use in pancake type fashion and with a vegetable stirfry sort of filling I guess....

Wonders if I dare grate a bit of cheese over the top of them too or no - as cheese is one of the things I'm trying to steer clear of at the moment (courtesy of how much fat there is in it).

I keep reading all these conflicting comments on vegan websites about automatically having the weight drop off on turning vegan - interspersed with ones saying "well....I actually put on weight when I did". The frustrating point there is none of them are giving details of exactly what they are eating and I'm just guessing the "weight dropping off" ones are eating healthily and the "weight piling on actually" ones are majoring in all the sweet foods that come up on a lot of vegan blogs. So I'm sorta steering in a vegan direction - but with eggs and some of my milk being cows milk at present...and seeing what effect that has...I think my leggings are feeling a wee bit looser:cool:
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    moneyistooshorttomention it can be very varied as to what happens when a person goes vegan. When I went vegan I didn't see a change in weight. What I did notice was the volume of food I was able to eat compared to before. There are loads of vegan junk foods though- I've bought some for my birthday in a couple of days like crisps, biscuits, vegan rocky road and some ice cream :o. Also a good amount of alcohol is vegan. Not exactly light on calories, my favourite is vodka so one of the 'better' ones for calories.
    If you eat a 'whole foods' vegan/plant based diet you have more chance in sustaining or losing weight.

Oh I've snacked on strawberries and mango since the last post. Yum.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Wonders if I dare grate a bit of cheese over the top of them too or no - as cheese is one of the things I'm trying to steer clear of at the moment (courtesy of how much fat there is in it).

Read up about this. Yes cheese is high calorie/fat compared to other foods, but there's some "magic ingredient" about it that increases weight loss if you have a little bit each day.

Studies have been done and I don't think they've worked out how/why it happens, but it's true.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Read up about this. Yes cheese is high calorie/fat compared to other foods, but there's some "magic ingredient" about it that increases weight loss if you have a little bit each day. .

correct PN. My son and his partner are healthy, fit vegans, have been for years but I have seen them eat `unhealthy` food like chips and bread so veganism may not necessarily be the perfect diet for all. IMO we have omnivore teeth and are designed to eat a bit of everything, trouble is that we have been brain washed into eating high fat/high sugar and once on them then we are addicted

I am staying away from peppers, those normal round ones. I have had stomach gype for a couple of days and worked out that the only new thing in my diet was a large pepper. I have had weeks and weeks of a comfortable stomach until that pepper and I put it in my ratatouille this time. I am back to oats and berries soaked in soya and for lunch will have veg soup and bacon and egg, teatime will be brown rice with ginger, soya and umboshi with frozen green beans on top, rice cooker on a timer as I am out for the afternoon. Soup is cooking and very easy, I just got a pack of sauteed shallot and garlic out the freezer and added stomach calming celery as well as carrot, caulie and calming fennel

My allotment shallots and garlic are growing fab, I planted them in october and they will be ready in june and keep well for 8 months or more, after christmas I start to prep them as a saute for the freezer. The saute is very handy for many recipes
  • PasturesNew
    kittie wrote: »
    .... stomach gype for a couple of days and worked out that the only new thing in my diet was a large pepper.
    All peppers start from the same seed. First they go green, then red, then yellow .... so it might be that you should just stay away from the green and red ones. The yellow ones are more ripe, sweeter.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 20 May 2017 at 1:38PM
    I'm having a "smug morning", of sorts. Waiting for my washing at the launderette, I'd noticed that 4ldi have chicken on special this week - and I was gifted some random jars of chicken cooking sauces some months ago. So I decided that at £3.45 I should buy one of those packs and make a chicken curry with one of the jars.

So I did that. Chicken and Sharwoods are currently working on making me some dinners. Yes, it'll end up as four generous dinners, but the meat part's worked out as "only" 86p a portion.

The meat's loads (600 grams).... but I chucked it all in anyway; the jar says serves 3. So it'll be meat-laden... but what the heck. Life's too short to have frozen half that chicken and then felt maybe each portion of curry was a bit skimped :)

It IS Saturday after all!

A family could've tossed in another jar of sauce, and some extras (peppers, onions, whatnot). I left it as it is, just chicken and the jar.

EDIT: After four hours I checked/stirred it and the sauce was looser, then I spotted the pack of little peppers I'd bought last week, so thought "I know how to get rid of those.... ideal", so chopped them up and lobbed them in. They'll bring a bit of cheery colour to it.
  • Well that was lunch for the day:
    - few roasted butternut squash seeds flavoured with soy sauce (singles repeat time....:cool:)
    - stew of quorn sausages/tomatoes/etc with added boiled potatoes (ditto:cool:)
    - I've discovered a range of coconut milk yogurt in T*sco recently and they've started to expand the range of flavours. So I then had mango and passion fruit coconut yogurt with frozen banana. They're not cheap - but they are rather nice:). (NB: only healthy ingredients and they're suitable for vegans).

Thinks - is that a trace of collarbone I can feel at my neckline??:). Am trying to encourage myself here:rotfl:. Thinks - can I get my cheekbones back at some point?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure