Where to save £150k?

Apologies if this is a repost....I'm fairly sure I saw a similar thread recently but I couldn't find it again.

Anyways the circumstances are that a family member has received £150k and are looking to save it. They have no mortgage and no outstanding debt. Premium bonds are maxed out. They are totally risk adverse and so want guaranteed returns. Therefore S&S ISAs are out of the question. As are the likes of 5% Nationwide accounts due to the low limits and hassle involved in setting up DDs etc. As is investing in pensions as they may need the money at any time.

Are low interest general savings accounts and govt bonds the only option or am I missing something? They intend on speaking with an IFA but I reckon they will just recommend S&S. Thanks

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ah, another "cake and eat it" post about someone who wants to invest but they are "risk averse" and want "guaranteed" returns. I'd like a unicorn on a pink stick as well :D

They can get rubbish guaranteed returns by putting it in bonds and similar. Perhaps 1 to 2% and they will be "guaranteed" to lose money long term.

Some people cant be helped until they understand they are just swapping different risks and the only guarantees in life are the two well known ones.
  • AndyT678
    AndyT678 Posts: 757 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    smej wrote: »
    They are totally risk adverse and so want guaranteed returns. Therefore S&S ISAs are out of the question.

So no investing in company stocks, govt bonds etc... Fine.
    smej wrote: »
    As is investing in pensions as they may need the money at any time.

So actually, is fine to invest in company stocks, bonds etc... with uncertain returns just as long as the money is inaccessible to them and taxable when taken rather than tax free? :huh:
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If they are totally risk averse and want guaranteed returns, there is no point in speaking to an IFA. If they might need immediate access to the full amount then it is too risky investing it in S&S, so best just putting it in various bank accounts to get the best of poor savings rates.

Bear in mind that it would be risky to leave more than £85k in any one bank as that would be over the Financial Services Compensation Scheme limit.
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    How old is the family member?
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    A sensible place for very large sums of money is an NS&I direct saver account with an interest rate of 0.7%. These are fully guaranteed by the government. You wont get much more than that for instant access at zero risk (other than inflation).
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,585 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    National Savings investment bonds pay 0.75%. Was 1% but recently gone down. That is about as risk free as it gets.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Or you could choose to take some risk with some of the money, like the pension investment. e.g. stick £30k of it in Tesco 2033 bonds yielding about 4.5% now. Will they be bust by 2033? Probably not. Maybe 1 in 100 chance, and if it comes through, its likely there are bigger problems in the world to worry about.

Bonds like that are not subject to as much volatility in the market eg their share price and the dividend might halve due to a price war with Asda or Lidl, but the price of these bonds and their redeemability for £1 in sixteen years time is likely to be unchanged.
    illegitimi non carborundum
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport