Franke Sink - why such big price difference?

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Do you really need to ask?

You are talking about John Lewis here.

Most of their customers have probably never even heard of Screwfix!

Oh, I think most of the wives have an idea what it is ... but it's nothing to do with trades supplies :)
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Yes I always thought Franke sinks had a lifetime warranty.
    Warranty against manufacturing defects for 50 years. It's a bit pointless really isn't it? Try proving a fault after 40 years was caused during manufacture!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • kev25v6
    kev25v6 Posts: 235 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Screw fix buy direct from Franke UK, the only difference tends to be the box. The cheap ones come in a cardboard sleeve the expensive ones come in a proper box. Same exact sink, brought over from Poland.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    It'll be high at John Lewis so that they can bundle it in with a full kitchen. I'd expect they'd rarely sell them on their own - they just want to be able to offer a kitchen discount on doors say, but make it all back in the other bits and bobs of the kitchens. Its how all kitchen sellers work - distract you with a big discount on one part, and rake it back in elsewhere on the same sale.
  • wantonnoodle
    wantonnoodle Posts: 284 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    Options
    ic wrote: »
    It'll be high at John Lewis so that they can bundle it in with a full kitchen. I'd expect they'd rarely sell them on their own - they just want to be able to offer a kitchen discount on doors say, but make it all back in the other bits and bobs of the kitchens. Its how all kitchen sellers work - distract you with a big discount on one part, and rake it back in elsewhere on the same sale.

But don't forget John Lewis's price promise, they will match the price as long as it's the identical product available in a high street shop (ie not online only). I can't see JL selling high on one thing to offer discount on another when their policy is to never be undersold. I would expect its more that they are not aware of the product being sold by Screwfix (a lot of screwfix stuff is unbranded trade stuff) and would likely reduce their price to match if they are aware.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 May 2017 at 11:38AM
    Options
    But don't forget John Lewis's price promise, they will match the price as long as it's the identical product available in a high street shop (ie not online only). I can't see JL selling high on one thing to offer discount on another when their policy is to never be undersold. I would expect its more that they are not aware of the product being sold by Screwfix (a lot of screwfix stuff is unbranded trade stuff) and would likely reduce their price to match if they are aware.

When I'm ready to buy it I will contact JL and ask them to price match. It will be interesting to see what they say.

I'm also compiling a list of other appliances for the kitchen, and if they sell the same models as the ones I want I will also ask for price matches on those. Appliances Direct have some very low prices on branded products.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's a good sink. Mine has a tiny dent and came from eBay for £40. :D

It's much better/deeper than the Blanco I bought via the kitchen co, which I'll take out and replace with another Ascona at the end of the year.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    It's a good sink. Mine has a tiny dent and came from eBay for £40. :D

It's much better/deeper than the Blanco I bought via the kitchen co, which I'll take out and replace with another Ascona at the end of the year.

I went to have a look at these in real life today (as opposed to just looking online).

Onee of the main criticisms from reviews is that they mark very easily and are difficult to keep clean. How do you find yours in this respect?

I really need to order a sink tomorrow so need to make up my mind.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We find the Ascona cleans up OK, but as it's in the utility room, where we are still washing-up brushes and similar activities, (house renovation) it isn't always in the most pristine condition. :o

It does feel nicer than the Blanco sink we have, but a comparison between just two isn't much of a test, especially as I think the latter may be a cheap model.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I can only say I shall be happy enough to buy another.
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    Fitting (another) one to utility next week, along with matching tap :)

I don't install anything that might come back to bite me on the !!! :D

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business